Options

Associations

itwannabeitwannabe Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've previously been employed in a medical related field that required certification..and once certified, there were a variety of associations that one could join...for the purpose of current issues, ongoing education, upcoming events, networking, etc....

Does the IT field have the same set up..formal associations based on cert levels or fields? Just curious icon_confused.gif:
Certify this!!!

Comments

• Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    dude, you can always be part of our club.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Options
    pandimus wrote:
    dude, you can always be part of our club.

lol...I somehow knew I should have used a disclaimer, that I meant other than this much appreciated forum....
    Certify this!!!
  • Options
    Whats your background in IT?
  • Options
    trial and error on my own machine, and lots of general interest :) ...I don't currently hold any certifications, nor do I work in the IT field...I've recently began studying for the A+ exam; and I'm trying to get my IT dept at my current employer to let me shadow a couple of their people in my spare time....
    Certify this!!!
  • Options
    cool.. Thats the way to go at it.. I currently just have an A+. This friday, i will probably take my net +. After that.... off to Microsoft world
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    pandimus wrote:
    After that.... off to Microsoft world

really? From A+ to Net+ to MOS.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options

really? From A+ to Net+ to MOS.

what would u suggest after Net+? I'm thinking that security would be an interesting field....but i'm not quite sure of the natural progression, if there is one...a+, net+, and then???
    Certify this!!!
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    CCNA would be most logical if you look only at the contents of the exam. Net+ is what you need to know before you start with CCNA and a little bit more. You'll have a great basis, 'all' that is left are some more details about what you know already and on top of that how to configure routers.

MCSA is logical as well, since A+ and Net+ combined count as an elective.
    And since MCSE can be a logical step after MCSA...

Other options would be other CompTIA exams, i-NET+, Server+, Linux+ or Security+, the latter can be combined with MCSA to become MCSA Security.
  • Options
    ZumpelZumpel Member Posts: 53 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Pro-Organisations as exist in other fields (like the Medical Field or HR) probably do exist, but I have never heared of one.
    The first step you should take is find some discussion forums on topics that might be of interest for you. Given time you'll find out which ones are good, and you will be able to get a LOT of information and help out of them. (Plus you'll learn the art of "filtering out what's important" :) )
    As for ongoing issues and such you'll have to find some websites, subscribe to Newsletters/groups and so on.
    Keep in mind that compared to other Industry sectors IT sometimes moves pretty fast. Information distribution happens accordingly on the net.

..er... WHAT am I talking about ...
    anyroada.. good luck with the IT guys in you company.