Options

Inter-VLAN routing also on the exam?

marcel2271marcel2271 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
When studing VLANs, Trunking and VTP I noticed that Todd Lammles book (Sybex 5th edition) is covering how to configure inter-VLAN routing in chapter 8. I was trying to configure this with my Boson Netsim but unfortunately it doesn't support subinterfaces on a router. At least I always get an error when defining it. Then I decided to read the CCNA ICND book by Wendell Odom (chapter 3, VLAN and Trunking configuration) to see if it contains some examples. But the book does not cover inter-VLAN routing at all!! This makes me wonder: is Inter-VLAN routing on the exam?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    At a first look it may seem like it is not part of the exam objectives at Cisco.com
    icon_arrow.gifwww.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-801.html
    As you can see, InterVLAN configuration it is not explicitely listed.

However, if you check out the exam objectives of the previous CCNA exam, which were a bit more detailed:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-607.html
    you will see that "Configure a router for inter-VLAN communication" is listed below 'Routing Protocols'.

The current exam objectives list:

"The exam covers topics on Extending Switched Networks with VLANS,..."

and

"
    Implementation & Operation
    - Configure routing protocols given user requirements
    - Configure a switch with VLANS and inter-switch communication
    "
    and last but not least:

"The following information provides general guidelines for the content likely to be included on the Introducing Cisco Network Design Exam. However, other related topics may also appear on any specific delivery of the exam."

This 'could' involve routing between VLANs, and the new CCNA exam does focus more on switches and vlans so I would include it in my preparation.
  • Options
    marcel2271marcel2271 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Johan. Still I wonder why this subject is not covered in the ICND book by ciscopress.
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    I checked our Sybex library at work for you today and the sybex covers the theory behind inter-vlan routing and shows an example of a basic configruation.

I would hazard a guess (and it is a guess) that any simulation involving Vlan's would be mainly switch based.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.