Options

Online IT MS Degree

markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I am within 6 months of graduation of WGU's BS IT Security degree. I'm probably going to take 3-6 months off (to grab my MSCE) then finish up my graduate degree. I looked at WGU and Capitol College, but not sure either degree is right for me. I think I want something that is geared towards Sys Admin. Both of the above schools are online and seem like good programs, but they are geared towards Security, which I'm honestly not sure I want to do in the future. I think I want to try the Microsoft route.

Any ideas for a good college?

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    You don't really need a college degree to work in IT. (Disclaimer: I have a Master's degree.)

You may find that your state schools have online programs.

You can try this thread:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/53985-master-list-b-m-colleges-offering-online-degrees.html

You can also try these links:
    http://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/education/rankings
    DegreeInfo Distance Learning - online degree forum - The Front Page

GetEducated.com | Review, Rate, Rank & Compare Online Colleges & Degrees

Hope this helps!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not normally one to try to discourage someone from education, but I think a masters as a sysadmin is kind of pointless. The fact that you even have a BS as a sysadmin is a huge bonus, I think from there its all certs and experience. Are you working as a Sysadmin now?

To clarify, I don't think a sysadmin is a bad position, I've been one for a long time and recently got out of it for something else. I just mean knowing all the people in systems that I do I've never known one with an MS or seen one required for a position. If you were in that role for awhile and wanted to get into management I'd be more pointing towards an MBA.
  • Options
    Thanks for the links, instant000! That helps a lot actually.

@Danielm7 - I'm not one now, but I plan on moving towards that role in the future (I've got just over a year of IT experience). I'm not sure how I want to advance after that, I just wanted to pursue more education and have an even bigger edge when applying to positions.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats first off your almost there!! icon_thumright.gif

I'm right behind you I got maybe 6 months left or less to get my BS - IT Security from WGU then going after my Master's in IT Management. I think a master's degree would be more beneficial if you go into a management/business focused role instead as it's been mentioned above. Your experience, certs, and the degree you will soon have should get you going far in the Systems Admin role. ;)

My plan is likely to continue at WGU and get it done!! Unless I see another school affordable and catches my eye. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Congrats first off your almost there!! icon_thumright.gif

I'm right behind you I got maybe 6 months left or less to get my BS - IT Security from WGU then going after my Master's in IT Management. I think a master's degree would be more beneficial if you go into a management/business focused role instead as it's been mentioned above. Your experience, certs, and the degree you will soon have should get you going far in the Systems Admin role. ;)

My plan is likely to continue at WGU and get it done!! Unless I see another school affordable and catches my eye. ;)

Which Master's in IT Management? The MS or MBA? Danielm7 mentioned a MBA so I'm curious which would be best. My IT career is pretty new, but I can see the MBA giving more flexibility to move up.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I start the MS in IT Management on February 1st. I will let you guys know what I think about the program once I get into it. The student portal hasn't updated yet so I can't even view the details of the curriculum until my start date.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check out UMUC. They have a dual-degree program where you complete the M.Sc. in IT then take three additional courses and you get the MBA.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Check out UMUC. They have a dual-degree program where you complete the M.Sc. in IT then take three additional courses and you get the MBA.

That's interesting. While I do like WGU and would be happy to go that route, that seems like a solid route also to have two different masters degrees.
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    I really like the student experiences I've been reading and the curriculum of the MS in Cyber Security from UMUC. I plan on enrolling in the fall and after finishing the MS, tack on those extra three classes to get that MBA. I think that's a pretty sweet offer they have going. My question is, do you get two different degrees, MS in Cyber Security and a MBA....Or will it be one degree listed as MS/MBA in Cyber Security?
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think its more valuable to go through a masters program once you have some experience. So i would consider waiting until you have good experience and an idea where you want to head before enrolling in grad school. Like others have said a MS likely wont help much if your end goal is a sysadmin. If your looking to get closer to the business side or management or security down the road, then, it will help. But short term, i think your better served working on some additional certs and building your experience. Then revisit grad school in like 2 years.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Khaos1911 wrote: »
    I really like the student experiences I've been reading and the curriculum of the MS in Cyber Security from UMUC. I plan on enrolling in the fall and after finishing the MS, tack on those extra three classes to get that MBA. I think that's a pretty sweet offer they have going. My question is, do you get two different degrees, MS in Cyber Security and a MBA....Or will it be one degree listed as MS/MBA in Cyber Security?

Though I haven't talked to the admissions counselors at UMUC, most dual-degree programs confer two separate degrees, not one odd hybrid (though I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case for certain schools).
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, you will earn two separate degrees. Pretty cool actually.

UMUC Dual Degree Options
  • Options
    Disgruntled3lfDisgruntled3lf Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    I think its more valuable to go through a masters program once you have some experience. So i would consider waiting until you have good experience and an idea where you want to head before enrolling in grad school. Like others have said a MS likely wont help much if your end goal is a sysadmin. If your looking to get closer to the business side or management or security down the road, then, it will help. But short term, i think your better served working on some additional certs and building your experience. Then revisit grad school in like 2 years.

Why would it be more beneficial with experience? Two of the reasons I wanted to do it now is, I can continue to defer my loans and I'm also in that school "mode" and it seems easier to finish now rather than down the road.
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »
    Which Master's in IT Management? The MS or MBA? Danielm7 mentioned a MBA so I'm curious which would be best. My IT career is pretty new, but I can see the MBA giving more flexibility to move up.

Planning to do the MS in IT Management. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Why would it be more beneficial with experience? Two of the reasons I wanted to do it now is, I can continue to defer my loans and I'm also in that school "mode" and it seems easier to finish now rather than down the road.

Im in a masters program now. What i can tell you is that most of the people in the program have been in IT from 5-10 years. And many of the projects they ask you to use past experiences, projects and such to discuss. The more experience you have i think the more you can grow in a masters program. The few people ive known who had little experience felt a little behind the curve. Not saying it cant be done. Just think you would get more out of it after getting some experience. plus the MS wont help you for a while anyway.
  • Options
    Im in a masters program now. What i can tell you is that most of the people in the program have been in IT from 5-10 years. And many of the projects they ask you to use past experiences, projects and such to discuss. The more experience you have i think the more you can grow in a masters program. The few people ive known who had little experience felt a little behind the curve. Not saying it cant be done. Just think you would get more out of it after getting some experience. plus the MS wont help you for a while anyway.
    Hmm...Interesting. Maybe I should wait then. As much as I don't want to start making payments on my school loan, maybe it's for the better.
  • Options
    Hmm...Interesting. Maybe I should wait then. As much as I don't want to start making payments on my school loan, maybe it's for the better.

Yea plus, you may land a job that pays for your tuition or at least a part of it.
  • Options
    Yea plus, you may land a job that pays for your tuition or at least a part of it.

D'oh! That would have been good to mention. My job here does pay for part of my tuition actually.
  • Options
    srabiee wrote: »
    I start the MS in IT Management on February 1st. I will let you guys know what I think about the program once I get into it. The student portal hasn't updated yet so I can't even view the details of the curriculum until my start date.

Looking forward to your input as that's what I plan to tackle next.. ;)

• Options
    D'oh! That would have been good to mention. My job here does pay for part of my tuition actually.

That would be a pro for doing it now. an MS isnt cheap!!!
  • Options
    That would be a pro for doing it now. an MS isnt cheap!!!

I think it's $5000 a term so $10000 a year should almost pay for it at WGU.
  • Options
    WGU is $6,000/term if I'm not mistaken which is very affordable and one of the reasons I took this route aside from the flexibility, etc... Plus my employer pays for most of my tuition so it's a no brainer. The less debt from school the better. ;)

• Options
    jediweaponjediweapon Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a BSIT from WGU, and I did the first year of their Masters Degree in IT security. The Masters degree was not worth it in my humble opinion. Also, I wish I did my MCSE and Cisco certs earlier in my career (I am working on these now). I honestly think Master's degrees are geared towards upper management/research/teaching, none of which I want to do. I was already working in IT while working on my BS. Once I completed it allowed me to get a better job. I work for an IT consulting firm and most of the people I work with don't even have an IT degree, its mainly experience mixed with certifications. It all really depends what you want to do in the end with your career.
  • Options
    jediweapon wrote: »
    I have a BSIT from WGU, and I did the first year of their Masters Degree in IT security. The Masters degree was not worth it in my humble opinion. Also, I wish I did my MCSE and Cisco certs earlier in my career (I am working on these now). I honestly think Master's degrees are geared towards upper management/research/teaching, none of which I want to do. I was already working in IT while working on my BS. Once I completed it allowed me to get a better job. I work for an IT consulting firm and most of the people I work with don't even have an IT degree, its mainly experience mixed with certifications. It all really depends what you want to do in the end with your career.

Agreed it definitely depends on what you want to do. The main reason I'm going for my master's degree is so that I can work as an IT Manager/Director at a gaming company!! That's the dream job for me. ;)

• Options
    Hmm...Maybe I should wait. This employer also pays for certs too (I need some Microsoft ones) and I'm honestly not sure if I want to be involved in upper management later on. I'm getting my MCSA after I graduate and more certs like that will probably help me a lot more at the moment.
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your goal is sysadmin, then I agree with everyone, you should definitely stay with BS and wait on the masters. Get more certs, the knowledge is more valuable. I'm starting a masters in IA at Capital in March but I'm already in a leadership position and will have the experience to back it up when I'm done. A lot of people I talk to in my area with Masters degrees make almost no use of it, it doesn't matter because they don't have relevant experience.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Joel,

What made you choose Capital?