Options

Offered Tier 1 NOC

VIDEODROMEVIDEODROME Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Might finally be catching a break in the hunt for a good entry level job. icon_cheers.gif

This job sounds like it should be basic Network trouble shooting doing things as simple as using PING or rebooting routers to start with. I just wondered if other more experienced people here have done this and know what I can expect to have to tackle.

I'm not certified yet, but I did tell the interviewer I have the big All In One A+ book from Mike Myers. I also mentioned I'm interested in Linux certification.

Also, I've been trying to workout how to approach Job Interviews and this time I dressed kind of business casual. Just a nice polo style shirt, slacks, and nice shoes. This is actually the second time I've interviewed at this company; the first time I wore a button down shirt and tie and felt way over dressed compared to the interviewer who was a tech with a polo shirt and khakis. I had a similar experience at another company being interviewed by a tech just wearing a polo while I had a button down shirt and tie. I didn't get that job either.

This isn't to say I believe this is now the standard, but I think it's getting to be more common. I feel like it's now up to job seekers to be aware of the local business culture and especially look at the websites of the companies they're interviewing for. Hopefully, the website has employee profile photos that indicate how formally people dress. Also, I'm sure this will change if someday I want to move up to some kind of Network Engineer job. I can see eventually having to wear a suit, but just wanted to share my experience trying to get an entry level job.

I also looked up the LinkedIn profile of the person who called me for the interview which gave me an edge. They mentioned an interest in photography so during the interview when asked about my interests I included that. Not BSing him, I really have done photography, but it helped me to know I could emphasize that in a conversation.

Comments

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    I always wore SUITS to ALL job interviews. You have not been hired so why show up adopting THEIR business culture? Additionally, if you sit in a 3rd interview it might not be a TECHIE. It might be the President or Director who is dressed in a suit. Hence you always dress in a SUIT.

NOC jobs depend on the company. Some will have you sit around and ping routers and call SAs/NAs/Web on call people if things are down. Other companies may allow you to touch the servers via racking; switching out bad hard drives etc...

Do you have a college degree? Do you have IT experience? Do you have certifications?
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    I had been given some professional job seeking advice a few years ago and was told it would be best to dress 1 step up from the job you are applying for. If it's a polo kaki place then maybe a button down with a tie. If it's a button down type place go to a suit. You do want to look like you belong there and not be too out of place.
  • Options
    Not saying this is the answer to all job interview situations, but I think in some cases I've wound up being interviewed by younger people in simple casual dress that were not impressed with the shirt and tie. In another company things could be much different if interviewed by a veteran network engineer. That's why I meant by culture. Also, I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and I don't think people here are as into formal wear in some situations.

Also, I do have a 2 year degree if anhtran35 is wondering
  • Options
    J_Jones89J_Jones89 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You cant always go off what the interviewer is wearing. They have the job not you. I alway worn dress pants shirt tie. Nice lofers or dress shoes. I never worn a suit but not saying its a bad thing either
  • Options
    Yeah I'm not claiming my situation is what any other applicants should expect. Just relating my experience which other can consider when researching companies they apply to.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to starting here and finally getting experience.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Always wear a suit unless you're told not to by the recruiter.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity