Options

Network Admins/ Network Engineers, What is your salary?

marcj04marcj04 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All,
I am a college student with hopes of a career in Networking. My ultimate goal is to become a Network Engineer. I was just wondering what the average salary was out there for Network Admins and Network Engineers. If you could also include the certs that you have and how many years of experience in IT you have.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends on the area you're in. Check glassdoor and salary.com for average salaries. Look at job postings too for the types of duties you want as job titles are vague things in IT.
  • Options
    Oh I was just mainly asking because I wanted to get an actual survey of peoples salaries here. I have seen all the averages on glass door and such but I was curious as to actual statistics from people here along with experience and certs.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    marcj04 wrote: »
    Oh I was just mainly asking because I wanted to get an actual survey of peoples salaries here. I have seen all the averages on glass door and such but I was curious as to actual statistics from people here along with experience and certs.

Just use online resources instead of asking people personal information.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    I wasn't sure if it was something people didn't want to disclose here. i have seen numerous threads on salary and job titles on here before but that was more for IT in general. I was hoping to get more specific data on Networking positions.

Like I've said before, I have seen all the averages on websites but I just wanted to get more specific stats. Like salary correlated to experience and certs. I am not forcing anyone to reveal their personal information.
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    Don't trust glass door or other sites they never reflect the real world accurately. This will depend on many factors so having to ask location years experience will benefit.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Salaries for any position in IT is based off many different factors, it's hard to really narrow done a statistical plain to gauge average salaries.

Example, you could be a CCNA but if you lack people skills and fundamental IT skills you won't be worth as much as someone with a CCNA with inter-personable skills and a basis of technical skillset that far outshine a typical Network Engineer.

Again, this topic is kind of skewed since there is so many determining variables.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Don't sweat the actual salaries of other people. its meaningless. Just worry about getting really good at what you do. if you are, you will be well paid. A network admin or engineer could make 100k. They could also make 30k. It really all depends.

There used to be a thread here of peoples positions and their salaries which you might be able to search for.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Cyberscum wrote: »

Wait we have other what's your salary posts??? How in the world did you find that? Does this forum have a search function???
  • Options
    Don't sweat the actual salaries of other people. its meaningless. Just worry about getting really good at what you do. if you are, you will be well paid. A network admin or engineer could make 100k. They could also make 30k. It really all depends.

There used to be a thread here of peoples positions and their salaries which you might be able to search for.

Unfortunately, that one got closed and isn't there anymore. The one Cyberscum posted is about the most relevant one.
  • Options
    joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    philz1982 wrote: »
    Wait we have other what's your salary posts??? How in the world did you find that? Does this forum have a search function???
    I never understood the need to be rude and sarcastic. If you don't like a post being repeated every now and then, just ignore it. Otherwise be nice and just point them the right direction, at least to just say, "please use the search feature."
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Salaries are going to be all over the place. Here in the DMV, I know engineers that make 60K and I know of others that make 2 million. Pick your salary that you want to make and plot a course on how to get there.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll take the 2 mil please:D
  • Options
    I'll take the 2 mil please:D

Plot a path to it. Write 2 milllion dollars on a board, and look at it everyday and set a time table. Repeat it to yourself everyday. With the right focus the opportunities to make that kinda money will start appearing.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    Plot a path to it. Write 2 milllion dollars on a board, and look at it everyday and set a time table. Repeat it to yourself everyday. With the right focus the opportunities to make that kinda money will start appearing.

Alright, I am reluctant to ask this, but would you be willing to give me a job title and general description of what these people that make that sort of money do? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I am shocked.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I had to guess, CIO/CTO or VP/Technology at Fortune 500 firms? That, or it's not salaries but rather stuff like patent royalties or buyouts.
  • Options
    I never understood the need to be rude and sarcastic. If you don't like a post being repeated every now and then, just ignore it. Otherwise be nice and just point them the right direction, at least to just say, "please use the search feature."

It's a joke, grow a sense of humor.
  • Options

This is actually very sound advice. Making 2MIL/yr is really no different then making 20k. It's just the opportunity pool is smaller. There are specific steps taken to reach a certain salary point. I myself, simply at this point in my life have to much risk aversion to take those steps. Also, the higher you go the less money, can be a motivating factor as basic needs begin to become satisfied.
  • Options
    Most people could make MUCH more than there typical salary, but they choose the common most traveled path and they get the most common pay. The key is not to go with the crowd, think outside the box and don't just settle for average joe stuff. Most people think 75K/year is great and they don't do anything else because they get comfortable where they are at in life. IMO anyone can can do it, 6 or 7 figures.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    LeBroke wrote: »
    If I had to guess, CIO/CTO or VP/Technology at Fortune 500 firms? That, or it's not salaries but rather stuff like patent royalties or buyouts.

Yup. If you get with the right startup at the right time and get stock options, you can definitely make some serious cash.
  • Options
    If your thinking about this from a "job" point of view your already out the game.

Also anyone thinking about "salary" instead of income as a way to 2 million dollars is already going to come up short. There are very few jobs that pay millions in salary, but countless paths to millions of dollars in "income".

But since you asked I'll give you my job description

Voice Hustler

Designs voice systems from 1-100K users, builds, trains and scopes out team members. Take's team members out to lunch and give gifts to retain their services and trust. Networks with other business owners about latest trends and whats going on in the industry and trade leads. Works countless hours on linkedin, G+, and other forums to find and create new business opportunities. Writes blog post, works for free when needed, and volunteers time with companies who need help but are short on funds. Find the time and resources to get other engineers out of hot water to never have the favor returned, and get back up and continue with a smile hunting for the next deal.

these are some of my job duties
    Currently Reading

• Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know of others that make 2 million.

What??? are you for real 2 million USD!!! What makes them worth so much?
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    find a friend who's working in your area. He'll give you a pretty accurate response.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    LOL. I believe 2 million is a bit of a stretch for a Network Engineer. I can see the OWNER of a SUCCESSFUL company generating that amount. Of course this makes me question maybe I should have been a Stock Broker ala Wolf of Wall Street.
  • Options
    What I'm trying to say is that hey don't have a 2 million dollar salary, they have 2 million dollar income through being a network engineer.

So for example, they will have a job being a network architect, this pays around 200K+ bonus
    They write books variable amount of money
    They teach classes 1 week class you can get about 1K a day.
    They have other engineers who are billable they just lead the projects.

and various other IT related sources of income.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    vtradervtrader Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know of someone who makes the 7 figures, it's really simple, be exceptional at your subject, create your own custom software, have contacts in high places then become a contractor to the DoD/goverment. Thats how he got to the high salary.
  • Options
    vtrader wrote: »
    I know of someone who makes the 7 figures, it's really simple, be exceptional at your subject, create your own custom software, have contacts in high places then become a contractor to the DoD/goverment. Thats how he got to the high salary.

I don't know if I'd say that was that simple otherwise most of us here would be making that much money.
  • Options
    the crazy part about this thread is that I can tell some people have read books like think and grow rich, master key system, laws of success and so on. The other interesting observation is that the replies that people are saying are exactly the replies for skeptics in those books.
    Currently Reading

• Options
  • Options
    Ha.....well that is funny. My desk is full of IT books that have not even been cracked open.....one of these days.