Options

A little career advice please.

Hello everyone, I work at a small 3 man computer repair shop. I make about 27,000 a year. Just bought a home and a baby is on the way. My wife will stop working once the baby is born and I will have to support the all the bills.

I have a job offer at a IT consulting fir about 30 minutes from my house, my current job is 10 minutes away. The job would be a help desk role for the first 90 days then it would role into a consulting job. I would learn windows server like the back of my hand with this company because that is their main focus. The starting pay is $29,730 year. It would be a salaried position with a raise after 90 days. I would get health benefits PTO and holidays and sick days.

I would love to work for the company but not sure if it is a wise career move. I do not really enjoy my current job of doing virus removals and and hardware repairs, and the new job would be 99% software which I love. I currently have less than a year of professional experience in IT.
I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
[FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wait let me get it straight…

You hate your job now and have been offered a job that you will love and make more money and have better bennies

….I say turn it down.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Going to a MSP or IT Consulting early in your career is probably one of the better moves you can make. Usually you will get to touch A LOT of different technologies very quickly and experience you gain with those technologies will be very valuable later on.
    Your salary will lag behind what you actually worth in the market and the stress will be high but the pay off will come in 2-4 years when you look for your next job.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
    Ha Ha I probably do sound pretty crazy. The thing is I am not sure if I should maybe hold out for higher pay. I don't wanna be a job hopper, I would stay at the new place at least a year.
    [FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    Wait let me get it straight…

You hate your job now and have been offered a job that you will love and make more money and have better bennies

….I say turn it down.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Yea i dont see what the problem is. take the new job.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    f16jetman wrote: »
    Ha Ha I probably do sound pretty crazy. The thing is I am not sure if I should maybe hold out for higher pay. I don't wanna be a job hopper, I would stay at the new place at least a year.

Unless you have a lot of experience in that area with Server 2008/2012 and you know you can get more, I think this is a no brainer here. Take it and learn a bunch so you can either get a promotion or go somewhere else and get an ever bigger raise.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    f16jetman wrote: »

dont over think this. your first few jobs, focus on getting experience, not the pay. the pay will come if you get the experience. Take the job, add some certs and in a year or 2, you should be ready to grab a much higher paying job.
  • Options
    InfoseyeInfoseye Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Take the new job offer, you already got hands on experience with hardware repairs. If I were in your shoes I will not think twice, the opportunity of learning Windows server on the job is a great opportunity I will personally jump at it to gain hands on experience within a live production environment.
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with everyone else, 30 minutes is not a huge commute. Just do it and get the experience. You're going no where fast in a 3 man shop.
  • Options
    I took the offer, I am excited to move forward in my career and learn new things. Thanks for all the input.
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Glad you took the offer. Job with more pay, benefits, and learning that will help you advance your career is a no brainer. Good luck.
  • Options
    Well, today was the 4th day on the new job. So far I am really liking it. Besides having to learn a whole new and sorta confusing ticket management system and some other tools, I think I am doing well.

I have helped upgrade a doctors office from office 2003 to Office 2013 and setup a local charter school with some multipoints. I say "I" but what I really mean is I tried to help as much as possible without adding any extra work to my co-workers. I am glad I took the job. Tons of experience for so early in career.
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Glad to hear it's working out and you're happy with you decision.
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    I lived in Albuquerque and left because the IT market isn't too hot. Good choice on taking the leap and moving jobs though.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Glad to see it's working out!