In the tech field, no one cares about education. Just experience now WOW eye opener!

13»

Comments

• ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Most higher level job postings I see say "Requires a BS degree or equivelant experience", which I assume an AAS and a couple years experience + certs would cover. I agree that a degree certainly won't hurt your odds of getting a job, but I don't feel it's really necessary to make a comfortable living in IT with the right companies.
  • aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Sure, you can get by in IT without a degree....

But you're going to be competing against highly skilled IT professionals with Degrees in this job market. All things being equal, the person with a degree is more likely to be selected over one who does not have a degree.

You might reach a point in your career that you are required to earn a degree in order to advance within a company.

A bachelor degree is a "requirement" for the company that I work for. That seems to be a trend these days...
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Oh No, Ohhh Nooooo. No one.... and I mean no one on this board is lazier than me, especially when it comes to studying. I wish I could finish this CISSP study guide book, been stuck on page 27 for like 4 days now. icon_sad.gif
  • techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sure, you can get by in IT without a degree....

But you're going to be competing against highly skilled IT professionals with Degrees in this job market. All things being equal, the person with a degree is more likely to be selected over one who does not have a degree.

You might reach a point in your career that you are required to earn a degree in order to advance within a company.

A bachelor degree is a "requirement" for the company that I work for. That seems to be a trend these days...

A lot of places will advertise that they are looking for someone with a degree, certs, etc. In my area, it is very hard to find someone that fits ALL the requirements of a posted position. The thing to remember is that a lot of times an advertisement for a position is a lot of times just a "wish list" of items or bullet points a company desires in a candidate. It doesn't mean they are going to get everything they want. Experience and certs may fulfill the "requirements" for degree/schooling. Also, if someone is older (ie. over 40), going back to school to get a degree isn't really an option.
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Hopefully OP is trolling otherwise we found ourselves a 15 dollar an hour DRONE.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    techwizard wrote: »
    A lot of places will advertise that they are looking for someone with a degree, certs, etc. In my area, it is very hard to find someone that fits ALL the requirements of a posted position. The thing to remember is that a lot of times an advertisement for a position is a lot of times just a "wish list" of items or bullet points a company desires in a candidate. It doesn't mean they are going to get everything they want. Experience and certs may fulfill the "requirements" for degree/schooling. Also, if someone is older (ie. over 40), going back to school to get a degree isn't really an option.

That's true but you just spelled out a reason why people with degrees will have an advantage. If someone with a degree fulfills all the requirements while everyone else fulfills everything but the degree, he's already got a leg up on his competition.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    As always, the more you have going for you the better. Get all the qualifications you can to make your life easier. Whether you want to sit on the help desk forever or be a CEO, a degree isn't going to hurt your chances.

That being said this "all things equal" argument thing is never going to happen. Unless of course you have two twins that have identical personalities, the same certifications, have worked the same jobs etc. just one has a degree.... There are so many things that go into hiring that it's never really going to come down to "well these two guys are exactly the same but he has a degree so we'll hire him." There are certainly places that require a degree no doubt though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Theendgamelv3Theendgamelv3 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am the last person to give advice about this but I will. The opening sounds young. It makes the most sense. If you're happy about where you're at cool. It is very possible to climb and succeed on some level without anymore certs and degrees. There are stories even on this thread that support this to some level. There is probably a GIANT however and I think is that those people are good with people. They have strong connections and talked to the right people to get ahead. If you're not a people person, I don't see you going much else where with your mindset atm. You also have to look at it like this, do you see yourself working at that company for the rest of your life, does it have career advancement? There are a ton of jobs that won't last til you retire. Hell my dad has been working at his job for over 25+ years and they are closing his plant down next year. Outsourcing is a big thing in the IT and it is something you SHOULD worry about. There is that risk that your job might not be even in demand anymore in 10 years if you don't get anymore education.

I know it might not sound like it, but chances are your AA and A+ helped put you over even if it seemed like they didn't care at your new job. However I believe you're young hence life hasn't quite "hit you" yet and you will understand the importance of what most on here are saying. I would also talk to the people who hired you and directly ask them what they think about education and certs. Also talk to co-workers in general cause chances are most will say their education helped them. Getting more educated will never hurt you. It is good you're not shutting the door completely as you did say you would go back if needed, but study a little here and there on some certs at the very least.
  • MordyITMordyIT Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Armymanis1 wrote: »
    I see very few people in higher positions who are my age or in their 30's. They are all 50's or 60's. I see no point in wasting life stressing out about moving up. I am just going to enjoy my job and life. I make $16 an hour right now and that is fine for me. I have money to pay rent, bills, and to get extra stuff. Thanks for all the input :)

I promised myself to make me really un-datable so no one can take away my money. I sit inside all day, watch tv, play video games, drink and do other things that I want to do. I am happy with my life style and having no responsibilities above that :) Have a great life guys :D Don't waste it learning like you guys are doing.

You need to see new people. Maybe a psychologist to start.
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Armymanis1 wrote: »
    I see very few people in higher positions who are my age or in their 30's. They are all 50's or 60's. I see no point in wasting life stressing out about moving up. I am just going to enjoy my job and life. I make $16 an hour right now and that is fine for me. I have money to pay rent, bills, and to get extra stuff. Thanks for all the input :)

I promised myself to make me really un-datable so no one can take away my money. I sit inside all day, watch tv, play video games, drink and do other things that I want to do. I am happy with my life style and having no responsibilities above that :) Have a great life guys :D Don't waste it learning like you guys are doing.

Very few people in your circle maybe but to generalize a whole income bracket/age group is a wide net to cast.... If you look for it you can find plenty of people in their 30's who are in mid positions making 100k+.
  • anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    OP doesn't care about that. He keeps mentioning about a "GIRL"...about "DATING". This has nothing to do with IT. More to do with relationships etc...we found our MIKEY from SWINGERs. Unfortunately, this is not a forum for dealing with relationships. Best to YOUTUBE how to get over a chick. Good luck!
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    OP doesn't care about that. He keeps mentioning about a "GIRL"...about "DATING". This has nothing to do with IT. More to do with relationships etc...we found our MIKEY from SWINGERs. Unfortunately, this is not a forum for dealing with relationships. Best to YOUTUBE how to get over a chick. Good luck!

Ya I know, it was more for other's then him. It would seem the OP needs help from outside this forum.
  • dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    dave330i wrote: »
    It's always the ones w/out education & cert that claim education & certs are worthless. icon_sad.gif

Aint that the truth! Sometimes they realize too late, when they're past 40 and getting passed up by someone younger and then having to answer to them everyday. As if their bossy wife wasn't enough.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security