Options

Do I qualify for IT Manager job/Salary

shawn488shawn488 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I have been in the Army for the past 10 years. Experience is IT networking with progressive degrees of responsibility wit each position I am tasked to. Currently I am stationed in the DC area and work for the Executive Branch of govt (High level members of our government). I am planning on getting out next year. Before I get out I will have my CCNA R+S and CCNA Sec certs. I also have a Bachelor's in Business Admin along with 10 years of experience. My question is can I get a management position and what salary should I be looking at. I currently make almost 71k before taxes with all special pay and allowances. Any input would be appreciated. Current certification are: Net +, Sec +, Fiber Optics Tech and Installer

Comments

• Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    100k+

Don't settle for less. Get with a company that needs your military background to win work.
  • Options
    I have an active TS/SCI clearance as well. Thanks philz.
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am curious, what is your rank now? This would have a great impact.
  • Options
    Arabian,

I'm a Staff Sergeant, Army, E-6.
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For the NOVA/DC/MD area 100k+ is typical for IT management. You have a degree, a clearance and certs, so you are good there. Remember though, you will be paying taxes on your entire salary vs just your base army salary. Depending on if you have dependents or not that also could be a factor in pay.

Another option would be staying in and going WO, but I know the army is letting many soldiers go(don't know if you are involved with this cut). Get out as a CW2 then you are an SME in your field by default and with your degree you should be a shoe in for WO.

If you get out make sure you find employment that uses your full clearance or go reserve/guard and they will maintain it for you.
  • Options
    Arabian,

Thanks for the information. I don't plan on staying in. I am actually looking to move to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area when I get out.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Shawn it depends on location. In Dallas, Texas, I'm not sure if they pay 100k. In DC/VA, Yes they pay pretty well. I'm also a resident of DC/VA. In regards to your qualifications, do you have experience managing others? If you do you can apply for IT Manager and Help Desk Manager positions. I'm not sure if they pay 100k; however, I've seen those managers eventually become Directors which hit the 100k and above mark.
  • Options
    Anhtran,

Yes I do have experience managing others. I currently manage between 3 and 7 people on a give shift. I work 12 hour shifts in a 24x7 environment right now. I have been at the current position for almost 4 years. Before this position I managed 10 people in a NOC type environment which I did for 3 years.
  • Options
    Shawn...have you considered moving overseas for a few years? Being a site manager in Germany; South Korea or Kuwait? You can make 6 figures and take advantage of tax free of 97k if you stay out of the US expats benefits. Contracting work :)
  • Options
    Anhtran,

Never thought about it but would be willing to consider it. Would prefer to stay in the US however but if I can't make the type of money I want, I would consider overseas.
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you considered Austin? It's a new IT hotspot.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    Fuz,

My wife is going to law school at Texas A/M in Fort Worth which is why I'm moving to the area.
  • Options
    For the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, can anyone tell me if a 90 or 95k job is attainable for me?
  • Options
    I type in IT MANAGER on Indeed.com location Dallas Fort Worth. Came up with a few 100k jobs.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also check out glassdoor.com , you can get a general idea of salaries for the position you are looking for.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Plenty of consulting companies with satelite offices in dallas. I was making 105k in dallas with 5 years exp. With 10 years it would be easy. Just start cold calling companies.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with the others here, with your experience, credentials and clearance you should be able to do pretty well.
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are definitleu qualified. Good luck on your endeavors!
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    Thank you all for the inspiration. I feel a little more confident eventually applying for jobs. Just need to work on interview skills since I've never done one.