Options

Moved to Washington D.C.

Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
Left Houston and drove here. It was a 20 hour driveallout.gif Scenery was nice on the trip at least. Decided to leave to get closer to family and the jobs looks more interesting as well. Now to find a job.

Anyone have any advice on companies that are hiring or good recruitment companies?
:study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]

Comments

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    WOW. You must have ran smack into the winter storm. Try Apex, TekSystems and KForce. They are usually subcontractors for bigger company that are the Prime on contracts.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know if you have a clearance or not, but if you do, you'll have a much easier time finding a job in the area.
  • Options
    IT-FellaIT-Fella Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I hope you did your due diligence and accounted for much higher cost of living. I was in DC area last summer and I really liked it but when I compared the COL to anticipated salary there it didn't seem so pretty.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Left Houston and drove here. It was a 20 hour driveallout.gif Scenery was nice on the trip at least. Decided to leave to get closer to family and the jobs looks more interesting as well. Now to find a job.

Anyone have any advice on companies that are hiring or good recruitment companies?

NSA, CIA, FBI.....

I was interested in some jobs out there, but the cost of living is not what I was comfortable with so I passed. Good luck!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Concerned you crack me up. You just get up and leave like it's nothing.

Man take your act on the road. Look for something with travel. I'm not even sure what you did at your last position to be honest, so hard to give you advice.

Either way props
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    DC is gov't work. Get Sec+.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    dave330i wrote: »
    DC is gov't work. Get Sec+.

+1 for CompTIA Sec +; they won't look at you without it.
  • Options
    MLBAMLBA Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My father is a network engineer in that area. Look into Kforce. Obtain your Security+, it'll open up more opportunities for you and it's almost mandatory since there's so many govt contract jobs in the area.
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sec+ and a security clearance will help you out. I had a friend that worked with Bowman Williams who staffs in there area, you could look them up. Good luck on your adventures.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    Yup. SECURITY + is mandatory for DOS and DOD contracts.
  • Options
    overthetopoverthetop Banned Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you needing a Clearance and Security+CE has been beat into the ground. So, I say dido. Honestly, I would yield against hiring agencies like stated above. Personally from experience I once worked at a place under Northrup Gr. and at the very least I made 20K less as a subcontracted employee and I didn't work for or get hired through a hiring agency and the pay was 20k less (actually a tab bit more than 20k). Granted, the pay was still dog-on great but its just a personal real-world example I can only imagine how much less a hiring agency is going to pay you. I have worked with all of those agencies at one point or another in life. They want to pay you the lowest possible cent they can, then you go to work and realize your the lowest paid guy working ...in the building icon_rolleyes.gif The person who cleans the offices and wipes the toilets has a clearance and thats a FACT probably a TS depending on the building and might make more than you. If you need money I would forget everything I just said and go with the first hiring agencies who contacts you. IF you don't have a clearance all do respect no offense I would drive back to Texas. The chances of you finding a job is just about slim to none. Yes you can get sponsored for a clearance but if I was a company, would I spend $ on sponsoring someone for a clearance /investigation or hire the guy/gal who already has a clearance? You ask yourself that question
  • Options
    @N2IT
    Yeah, I know. I just feel out of place not being with family. I was raised here and left as a kid with my parents. People are getting older and I don't want to go without seeing them.

I'll get the Security+, the only reason I haven't gotten it was because of the areas I lived at didn't require it, but I have an excuse now.

I also got a interview this Friday at a company that I've been looking at for a while.

Yeah, COL is higher, but I've found a decent priced apartment, so it's not a problem.

I've notice some things so far that I like about the area compared to Houston:
    Doesn't appear to have as many tolls
    Most apartments don't charge fees for water/sewer/trash separately (Houston apartments won't even mention this, you'll get a surprise bill in mail)
    Apartments don't force you to pay 200 to 300 dollar applications fees (my app fee was only 25 bucks)
    People seem more friendly and smile, I've seen more people here smile in a day then I've seen smile in a year in Houston.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you held a security position before? What about knocking out the CISSP if you have the years. I think 4 years with a degree, and Access Control counts as one of the domain areas I believe.
  • Options
    I worked as a Network/System administrator configuring and deploying firewalls, server 2012, monitoring systems and backup appliances. I have a little experience with security, but not a position with security emphasis. I wouldn't be ready for a cert like that at this time, but two years from now probably.
  • Options
    Keep networking around the area. Certain companies like NG, Siemens, Wyle, CSC, Lockheed will sponsor you for a clearance. Keep in mind. At one point, we didn't have clearances either.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Sec+ and a security clearance will help you out. I had a friend that worked with Bowman Williams who staffs in there area, you could look them up. Good luck on your adventures.

Bowman Williams actually contracted me out in NOVA and in the NYC area. very good company.
  • Options
    I worked as a Network/System administrator configuring and deploying firewalls, server 2012, monitoring systems and backup appliances. I have a little experience with security, but not a position with security emphasis. I wouldn't be ready for a cert like that at this time, but two years from now probably.

Are you living in DC or NOVA? Also look for law firms. They have a need for IT guys. Although, the lawyers and their paralegals are a needy bunch. I knew of a Help Desk guy that got paid 80k in DC cause he was considered irreplaceable.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    People seem more friendly and smile, I've seen more people here smile in a day then I've seen smile in a year in Houston.

Must be a Houston thing. I lived in DFW and the people are so freaking nice and smile constantly that it freaked my wife and I out that strangers actually treat others like real people. Of course, every area has it's fair share of aholes, but Texas for me was definitely different than I was used to and I grew up in an area of the country where we are known to be kind/nice/cordial to everyone.
  • Options
    @10Linefigure
    Bowman Williams just looks like a awesome company to work at, I already applied.

@anhtran35
    I'm applying for positions within 45 minutes to keep things broad.

@MeanDrunkR2D2
    Probably, I know a lot of people state that Houston is the worst city in Texas.
  • Options
    Gallager00Gallager00 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just moved to NOVA like three weeks ago from a galaxy far away. :)
    I want to echo what everybody has mentioned so far. I'm not sure what you are looking for exactly, but you can pm me if you want more info.
    2016 Goals: CCNA Security, CCNA Data Center, VCP6-NV. Mostly focusing on skills rather than certs.
    2016 Completed:
    Currently reading: CCNA Security, programming books
  • Options
    MattyIceVAMattyIceVA Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Companies say they would like you to have a clearance, but they know people may not have them coming in. Obviously, or not obviously, that is something you wont be able to obtain on your own. I am going to be working on my Sec+ very soon for the same reason. I am in the NOVA area and want to work help desk as short amount of time as I can. Good luck!

Also, a good idea is to go to Indeed and go to the search resumes section and search for your desired position. The results will show people around you and what companies they work/worked for. A lot of companies you not have heard of.
  • Options
    yeah yeahyeah yeah Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□

I've lived here for more than 10 years. Virginian's are some of the worst people I've met...unless folks from Houston are that much worse.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @yeah yeah I agree to an extent. I wouldn't say its all of VA, just northern VA. The more south you go, the nicer people seem to be.
  • Options
    Nersesian wrote: »
    Yawn...stretch... So you moved to DC from Houston? Upgrade.

Check out idealist for some non-profit work. Most DoD, DoS, DoJ contractors are going to be asking for a clearance walking in the door, but most of us simple hill folk don't need none of that fancy investigatin'. Check out Tyson's Corner since its recently become more accessible with the silver line.

- I knew of a Help Desk guy that got paid 80k in DC cause he was considered irreplaceable.

If you want to live anywhere near the city in anything but a shoebox, you're going to need that 80k. Brunch is expensive yo.

I use to commute to DC via metro from Centreville, VA. It's a chore. LOL @ the BRUNCH. IHOP it yo.
  • Options
    MrAgent wrote: »
    @yeah yeah I agree to an extent. I wouldn't say its all of VA, just northern VA. The more south you go, the nicer people seem to be.

Yeah, that comment was for Northern VA.
  • Options
    yeah yeah wrote: »
    I've lived here for more than 10 years. Virginian's are some of the worst people I've met...unless folks from Houston are that much worse.

Really? Try Baltimore. Live there for 18 years. Luckily, only robbed once.
  • Options
    Omar comin'.

quoted for greatness.
  • Options
    66/495 are tolerable if you leave early enough :)
  • Options
    - Luckily, only robbed once.

Omar comin'.

I think the major problem I have with NOVA is the infrastructure. When you have 2.8 million people living in that small of a space, its no wonder 66 is a nightmare every day. My face starts to twitch when I have to go to NOVA for anything as I know its going to be a three hour ordeal. I actually like Baltimore and tend to vacation there when I need to get away from DC for a few days.

I don't have a lot of love for Houston, but that's probably due to me being from Dallas. The D can't exactly throw stones at its sweaty, fat, unattractive, deep fried southern neighbor. They have their own issues.

A fellow Cowboys fan??? If you in DC then catch the games at Parlay on M Street. Afterwards, you can swing right next to CAMELOT. LOL!
  • Options
    66/495 are tolerable if you leave early enough :)

Awesome, I'm most likely going to use these two.