Options

New person getting into IT need some help in how to switch careers

untmdsprtuntmdsprt Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

A friend of mine suggested that I post my resume on here in hopes of how to improve it and get my foot in the door to an IT career. I thought I'd start off with a bit of background first before posting.

My background is a BS in Accounting with emphasis in accounts payable for over 10 years. I have also lived in Japan teaching English for four years before coming back to the USA. Built a dual booting Linux/Win 7 computer in April 2013, familiar with both Debian and RedHat based distributions, and have used Basic and Pascal back in the early 90s. Currently learning Python, how to use Github and studying for the Linux+ exam. Trying to get back into studying for the A+ and Network+ exams.

Other things include love learning human languages and currently learning Japanese, and can move to anywhere in the world provided the country likes women and values their worth.

My ultimate goal is to do something with Linux administration and I thought I could be the test engineer for Ferarri if that car uses Linux as an OS. A dirty job but someone has to do it right? :D

I can put my resume on Google docs if anyone wants to take a look at it. I will remove companies though for privacy.

Thank you for any suggestions you might have.

Comments

• Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Maybe you should focus on accounting information systems using your accounting background. This way, employers see your career change as a logical path to take. Some IT hiring managers are extremely 'religious' to hire only those who have experience, thanks to fierce competition and ample of candidates, so it may be hard to get a job in Linux admin if you don't have work experience.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Look for Linux+ or LPIC training. It will give you a solid Linux foundation knowledge.
  • Options
    Currently doing that now. I just want to know how I can put everything on my resume so I'm not stuck continually doing accounting but get into more of the IT side of it.
  • Options
    dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    Quality Linux admins are tough to come by but don't expect a huge salary since you're just getting in. Since your working experience is over 10 years then you should have at least a 2 page resume. You might need to explain your story and transition a bit. My personal opinion is that resumes that skip years leave the door open for questions that you may never get to answer. I've passed over resumes before because of this and the competition was strong. I think you'll definitely need a Linux cert since you have no experience.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • Options
    I wasn't expecting a huge salary and I expect to have my first Linux cert by May 2015. My accounting experience is being ignored and I continue to get entry level positions. I might as well get out of accounting and do something new.

Sounds like I was wrong to post anything here as I'm still getting resistance to any career goals I'd like to do and will continue to have to save to up and move myself to start over in a better city.