Options

How you guys study to master the study materials, as if you know it from heart now.

chrisg29chrisg29 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Like you guys read the same chapter for a few days, flashcards, etc. Cause I sometime feel there is a lot of information to take it to your heart, so that in job situation you will know automatically. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Repetition, practical hands-on use, and multiple sources...

For example, if you're studying topic x, you might...

- read chapters on topic x from a couple different books
    - flashcard core terms, acronyms, ports, whatever
    - do independent research online - dive deeper than the books went
    - practice x in a lab environment if possible

When it really starts to click is when you apply what you've learned in a work environment.
  • Options
    dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    While reading I highlight. That way I can go back and find it without having to skim through pages again. I also use quizlet flashcards because they have an app. I google what I don't know so I can understand how something works. If I couldn't get it after the first read I'll bookmark or print it out so I can go back to it later.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, I don't feel I can ever "take anything to heart" until I actually get a lot of experience with it. For certs, I try reading the material once then follow up with practice tests mainly.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    use it. That's what it boils down to. Any memorization lets you just recite b ack what is written. But you'll never actually understand what you're saying until you use it, and use it a lot.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jamthat wrote: »
    Repetition, practical hands-on use, and multiple sources...

For example, if you're studying topic x, you might...

- read chapters on topic x from a couple different books
    - flashcard core terms, acronyms, ports, whatever
    - do independent research online - dive deeper than the books went
    - practice x in a lab environment if possible

When it really starts to click is when you apply what you've learned in a work environment.

Point three really helps me. When I was studying for CCNA I went deep on a few subjects I was weak on by reading the Cisco documents that often go way beyond CCNA level knowledge. Not only did I see how and why a certain technology was used, but I was also introduced to new topics that help tie in all of the concepts.