Options

So I got pre-screened for a potential job the other day....

CCIE Wanna BeCCIE Wanna Be Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
Since nothing has happened yet, I can't provide that much detail, however my resume did pass the initial screening process and I was told that I would be contacted regardless of whether or not I make it to the second round in a week or two. This is great, I didn't have any questions at the time but I was told I could call if I did, even though I haven't been given an in-person interview. Is their an expectation for me to call or should I just wait to hear back. I have never had this happen to me before, just anxious I guess. I so ready for a change and this would be a really good next step in my career. Another question, if the two weeks pass and I don't hear anything, should I call then?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
In Progress:
WGU B.S. - I.T. - Security (and all the certs that come with it)

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would call in if you haven't heard anything in two weeks. If you don't hear anything after that then I would move on.
  • Options
    StevenP2013StevenP2013 Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This has happened to me multiple times where they say they will call and let you know regardless. The only time I have ever heard back from a company is either when I got the job or they want to do another interview. I had a face to face interview about 2 years ago, he said oh trust me I let people know either way because I have been there myself. Didn't hear back from him. Another time, 3 guys interviewed me for an hour, they said they would let me know either way. About 2 months passed, I knew I wasn't hearing back from them. So I emailed all three asking if there was any update. I knew full well none of them would reply. After a while you get tired of biting your tongue. Another time they were building a new IT team. I called about every two weeks for 4 months, he kept taking me call and saying no update but I have your info. He finally said I wasn't selected. My advise, fwiw, is to keep applying elsewhere and not bother calling.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yeah, its best to just keep it moving...i've heard that line a bunch of times also. I email after 2 weeks if I haven't heard anything, and if i don't get a response to that, I just chalk it up as an L. But in the meantime, keep searching and applying to roles that you want.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Welcome to IT Recruiting Nonsense. Other things to look out for. You'll get calls from companies that state they will have a job available for you. They'll email and ask you to print/fax or scan their document stating you would be paid this amount on this contract IF THEY WIN.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Jobs come and go, don't get your hopes up for every one that comes along or you're just going to be constantly disappointed.

That being said, after a job interview, if I haven't heard anything in a week I will follow up with a thank you email. Its an easy way for them to remember you, see your professionalism, and remind them if they have forgotten to call you. I actually had this happen to me because the HR person was about to go on vacation and had forgotten to call me to talk about an offer letter.

Lucky for me I sent that thank you email and got the job.icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! The person I spoke with was the hiring manager (not a recruiter). I will give it the full 2 weeks and then give them a call if I don't hear from them. They either want to interview me or they don't, no harm in checking in I guess. They were very upfront on the phone, so I lean more to trusting their word that they will call regardless. We shall see.
    In Progress:
  • Options
    Just to update, I did get a callback(so I didn't end up having to call), and have a interview....hopefully all goes well!
    In Progress:
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck!
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Let it go, if they wanted you they would be calling your phone now. I had HR blow my phone up trying to get in contact with me at times. If you want give them 2 follow up calls by the end of next week and let it go. Sometimes its like that, I recall when I first got into IT.