Options

Cisco NM-8A/S card + 2811 or Cisco 2509-RJ 16/16 Terminal Server Router

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
I was looking at Ebay to swap out my current access server for one of these two options.

Cisco NM-8A/S card + 2811 : For that I am seeing on Ebay this fits my budget.

Cisco 2509-RJ 16/16 Terminal Server Router <---Cisco certification kits works with by budget.

I am thinking about going with the 2811/nm-8a option. I get the Voice router plus the card.
It has just enough ports for all my equipment and I get to play with a voice router.
However, I don't plan on doing voice for a bit and the 2509 is a straight access server and get's what I need done right now.

Thoughts ?
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm going with the 2509 to save cabling space and for convince. Also, my 2811 router has the WIC slots taken up already with 2 serial cards.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How about a DigiCM32? Cheaper and you use regular old Cat. 5 patch cables instead of Octal cables.

Digi CM32 | eBay
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    beatfreakerbeatfreaker Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Another vote for the Digi CM32 here as well.
  • Options
    HAMPHAMP Member Posts: 163
    Ok!!!!
    Why am I just hearing about this 'Digi CM32' device now? lol

what is the difference between it an the 2509?
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Well, one big difference to start with is one is using ios and one doesn't :)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    HAMP wrote: »
    Ok!!!!
    Why am I just hearing about this 'Digi CM32' device now? lol

what is the difference between it an the 2509?

It's a 32-port console server that I believe runs on *nix (some distro of Linux or Uinx). It has a menu based CLI and a web interface. I use the web interface to configure everything. It is also designed to use regular patch cables to connect to the console ports of devices.
  • Options
    Is that it? Once I use a console cable from my PC/desktop to the digi, I can use regular patch cables instead of console cable from the digi to each cisco device? Besides the digi and patch cables are there any other things I need to buy?

I do have a Cisco 2509 8-port access server, which I ran out of ports and getting tired of always losing sessions.

Can someone tell me something bad about the digi? It sounds to good to be true. If not, I believe I will have to buy one.
  • Options
    You don't even need a console cable to the Digi. You can configure it to allow Telnet or SSH connections. I connected mine to my ASA 5505 allowing me to access it from any PC on my network or remotely (using VPN).
  • Options
    Hummm!! I wasn't considering it, but remotely does sound like something I wouldn't mind trying/doing when I want to mess around while at work.

but, my whole idea was something simple and easy to connect into the console ports 99% of the time to configure and mess around with commands, instead of having to unplug and plug again.

Although I haven't taken the 2nd part of the test for my CCNA, I was buying and preparing my rack for the CCNP.

I was going to buy another cisco access server, but since this device and handle all of the cisco devices just with a load of patch cables, then this is the way to go. Makes me think what will I do with my cisco access server now... lol
  • Options
    My Digi 32 access server gave me issues from day 1. The documentation on it was not very good in my opinion. I decided to get a Cisco 2811 512/128 router with a Cisco NM-8A/S card. I get the benefit of adding the 2811 to my setup and I know I am going to be tackling CCNA VoIP at some point.
    I would have loved the Digi 32 to have worked out but i guess it was not meant to be. With my new access server I really bang out some labs without wasting time trying to troubleshoot why my Digi is not working.
    [h=1][/h]
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    mgmguy1 wrote: »
    My Digi 32 access server gave me issues from day 1. The documentation on it was not very good in my opinion. I decided to get a Cisco 2811 512/128 router with a Cisco NM-8A/S card. I get the benefit of adding the 2811 to my setup and I know I am going to be tackling CCNA VoIP at some point.
    I would have loved the Digi 32 to have worked out but i guess it was not meant to be. With my new access server I really bang out some labs without wasting time trying to troubleshoot why my Digi is not working.

I suppose I didn't give people enough time to reply with the bad, because I already ordered it. By the tracking number, I should have it next week.

I have 13 separate routers and switches, and hopefully I can have it running nice and smoothly. If not, I will add another 2509
  • Options
    HAMP wrote: »
    I suppose I didn't give people enough time to reply with the bad, because I already ordered it. By the tracking number, I should have it next week.

I have 13 separate routers and switches, and hopefully I can have it running nice and smoothly. If not, I will add another 2509

I've had no issues with mine. The biggest issue was resetting it and configuring it how I wanted. I was able to find that information by Googling.

Steps to Factory Reset a Digi CM unit - Digi International

I reset mine and plugged the LAN port on the Digi directly into my laptop. I set the IP address on my laptop to something on the same /24 as the Digi's default IP Address and then plugged the Digi's default IP Address into my web browser.

http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90000300_E.pdf
    ftp://ftp1.digi.com/support/cabling/90000301_d.pdf
  • Options
    Ok, this is the coolest add-on to my rack. Yet, I am a little mad, because I spent twice as much on the cisco 2509 with only 8 ports.

I happen to buy the cm-48.

YES!!!!!! A 48 port for less than half the price of a lousy 8..

I haven't completely set it up yet, I just simply tested a few things.

But, so far, its more then I expected
  • Options
    @ theodoxa

Thanks for answering my questions about the Digi CM. Just like I previous post, I feel this is the BEST add-on to my rack. I am so glad to have gotten this device, it has far more options than the 2509.

I don’t know about you, but two things I love about the digi over the 2509, is first the ability to have multiple windows open. When I’m at work, most of the time I log into multiple devices at once. That originally bothered me at first that I couldn’t with the 2509. That could be a pro/con when people talk about using packet tracer over real equipment. Using the 2509 with only one window, while with packet tracer you can have a window for all devices. They can’t say that when they talk about the digi.

The other is location. I haven’t just yet, but if I wanted my equipment placed elsewhere, I’m not restricted to the length of the console cable or having to spend extra for wireless. Using a simple cat5 to my home network is a really great benefit to it.

Honestly I can go on with other things I have learnt about it since I played with it.

@ mgmguy1
    You post almost gave me a little doubt about getting the Digi, but it works very well. Just the ability to have multiple windows is the number one seller for me.

• Options
    Glad it works for you. My Digital 32 gave me too many issues. I just got my cisco 2811 last week with the nm32 card and my new access server works great. I can telnet into each of the devices on my lab rack with no issues. This was a better move for me. Again others may have better luck then I did With the Digi.

Fats Domino
  • Options
    nikalisnikalis Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just bought a digi 48, ill let everyone know what i think when it finally arrives
    To Script or not to Script, that is the question.

MSCA [ ] 70-410 [ ] 70-411 [ ] 70-412
    CCNA [X] 100-101 [ ] 200-101
  • Options
    So i am making cables now. if i post again in a couple hours it works pretty well, if not its being a pain or i got side tracked

• Options
    nikalis wrote: »
    So i am making cables now. if i post again in a couple hours it works pretty well, if not its being a pain or i got side tracked

I remember reading that someone had to make a cable for the CM. Actually using the device is so much simpler. Just plug a into the network port instead of the console port, find the IP addy for the device. I only have 1 patch cable going to the CM, and that is running from my home network switch.
  • Options
    i actually meant the patch cables to the devices. lol thanks though