Options

Creating a Homelab: Connections and Ip Addresses.

sagarmistrysagarmistry Member Posts: 108
Alright Guys, Soo finally I'm at the point where i started configuring the router along with my switches and here is my home lab configurations but first here are a few questions.
- I have one d link router and a straight through cable is connected with my Switch 1, which provides internet connection to the whole lab.

Now total equipment I have is this: 3550 switch (Switch 1), 2900 switch (Switch 2), 2600 router (Router 1). I have other equipment but this is I have connected so far.

- So switch 1 is directly connected to my dlink router which is connected to modem and hence internet.
- Switch 1 and 2 are connected via crossover cable. interface light is on.
- Switch 1 is connected to router 1 via straight cable. light is on.
- Switch 1 is connected to my laptop. And On my laptop I see 2 internet connections. 1 is wifi and 2nd is through switch 1.
- Switch 2 is connected to router 1 via straight cable. light is on.

- I'm also going to attach switch 2 to my other laptop to create 2 full networks.

Both switches connected to a laptop each and connected to a common router.

Now HERE IS MY QUESTION: My dlink router's Ip address is 192.168.0.1 Sub: 255.255.255.0
So all my Ip addresses will be in range of 192.168.0.0 right?

If I want to create 2 different networks I should have 2 different Ip address ranges?

But I only have 1 internet connection. Will it allow me to create 2 different networks? Which Ip's can I use?
ICND1 ---> 6th March

Comments

• Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Let me preface this question, I am not being a smart ass, but do you have any materials to use to study this stuff? Currently, It seems the questions you are asking are general basic stuff that is found in most study guides, websites, etc. I would recommend using your study materials to find the information, set it up and then if you encounter trouble post questions so those with more knowledge can help you fix your issues and understand the topic.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    Let me preface this question, I am not being a smart ass, but do you have any materials to use to study this stuff? Currently, It seems the questions you are asking are general basic stuff that is found in most study guides, websites, etc. I would recommend using your study materials to find the information, set it up and then if you encounter trouble post questions so those with more knowledge can help you fix your issues and understand the topic.

i'm following cbt nuggets. I got my answer tho. thanks.
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    i'm following cbt nuggets. I got my answer tho. thanks.

Glad to hear you figured it out.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    Guys, I'm stuck here at a point where I can ping an Ip address from command prompt but it doesn't ping from my router.

On my Switch 1 I have 2 vlans.

Vlan 1 and vlan 50.

Ip of vlan 1 is 10.1.1.10
    IP of vlan 50 is 10.1.50.10

From my router I can ping and telnet 10.1.1.10

but when i try to do the same from command prompt it says host unreachable.

The IP address 10.1.50.10 can be pinged and telnet from my command prompt but router doesn't reach it.

Both vlans have active fast ethernets set to it.

When I plug my laptop into the switch in a port which is in vlan 1, it gives me internet connection but when I put it in the port which is in vlan 50 there is no internet connection on my laptop.

I'm not sure if I've provided enough info or not, if not let me know I'll post again.
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
  • Options
    siggnationsiggnation Member Posts: 182
    Try setting one of the ports on the switch as a trunk port. I believe the router needs to have encapsulation dot1q enabled on the interface in which it is connected to your switch to provide inter-vlan routing. I may have left out something, enter Gurus.
    Currently Reading:

CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam v. 5.1
    CCIE Routing and Switching 5.0 OCG, Vol. I
    Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    siggnation wrote: »
    Try setting one of the ports on the switch as a trunk port. I believe the router needs to have encapsulation dot1q enabled on the interface in which it is connected to your switch to provide inter-vlan routing. I may have left out something, enter Gurus.

Port 1 on switch is set as trunking port to which switch 2 is connected.

Router is connected to switch 1 on port 9. Which had switchport access vlan 50 before. And I could ping 10.1.1.10 and cundt ping .50.10

I changed the switchport access vlan 50 to vlan 10 but same result!
    ICND1 ---> 6th March