Options

Send me happy thought, juju, prayers, etc. please!

colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
Need some good vibes, thoughts, prayers, etc - just submitted for an internal position, that is pretty elevated. Talked for a couple of min with our new CIO, told him I was interested (there was a departure, hence the opening), so here goes! Emailed him resume and bio today.

Dream job for me, somewhat of a big step up (from my current position, it's more of a dignoal move than straight up); just crossing my fingers that he's not hellbent on getting an external candidate to shake things up. I am literally the only internal person qualified for this position.

I'll keep yall in the know when I hear something.

mike c
Working on: staying alive and staying employed

Comments

• Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hope everything works out for you colemic. I'll be praying for you.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Best of luck man! Just make sure you send the CIO a copy of your CEH certificate :p
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Prayers coming up. Good luck.
  • Options
    Bwahaa... :)

Although for the position, I did list CEH and CHFI, just to appear more well-rounded. :)
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Best of luck man! Just make sure you send the CIO a copy of your CEH certificate :p
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Best of luck on the promotion :D Keep rubbing elbows with the CIO to show your interest :D Perhaps ask him to lunch to further discuss the position :D
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you got this! Keep us posted
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Good luck colemic! Sending positive vibes your way
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Walking outside now to send up a prayer for you....just in case it wouldn't go through the ceilingicon_wink.gif Sending positive thoughts your way!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Best of luck Colemic, you got this!
  • Options
    -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    I know how u feel, i'm in a similar predicament. Interviewed 2x, 2nd time with CIO. He was impressed and delighted to meet me.

Hoping You and I both get our dream gigs icon_cheers.gif
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    May the force be with you.....
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Zorodzai wrote: »
    May the force be with you.....

^ This.. *hiccup*
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    *sending prayers and vibes*
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cool! Fingers crossed that they go with the internal choice rather than pulling in external, but that's out of your control at this point. Good luck!
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Good Luck Colemic, based on your accomplishments over the past few years and reading your contributions to discussions around the forum I think the sky is the limit for you.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Good Luck colemic!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    so a quick update - I know they are scheduling interviews for external candidates... except it's still not available/posted internally. So I feel I am in a bit of a conundrum. It's one thing to apply, interview, and not get the job, but I am gonna be PISSED if I don't even get an interview - I am qualified for the position (others on here can verify that, they've seen the posting and my resume.) Especially since company policy is that internal candidates for any position, are required to be given an interview. But then, HR says they won't post it until the CIO tells them to, so policies aren't being followed left and right.

Just frustrated. Or too pessimistic. Not sure which.
  • Options
    ChevelChevel Member Posts: 211 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow I swear I'm reading myself right now. I certainly feel your frustration. I applied for an internal position of which I'm well qualified for, found out interviews were conducted however I was not contacted for one. I agree with you 100% while I may not get the job but I would be quite offended of not getting an interview while others did.

Certainly wish the best of luck to you. Hope it all works out
  • Options
    -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    Chevel wrote: »
    Wow I swear I'm reading myself right now. I certainly feel your frustration. I applied for an internal position of which I'm well qualified for, found out interviews were conducted however I was not contacted for one. I agree with you 100% while I may not get the job but I would be quite offended of not getting an interview while others did.

Certainly wish the best of luck to you. Hope it all works out

This has happened to me before, and i guess it was a coincidence that the person that was hired was the hiring managers close friend and lacked experience! icon_rolleyes.gif
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    best of luck, onward and upward eh? Drinks on you once you land the role?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Absolutely, you are more than welcome to go to any bar, just put it on my tab. ;)
    best of luck, onward and upward eh? Drinks on you once you land the role?
  • Options
    So, a little update...

Had a discussion with the CIO. He really feels that based on my skillset, aptitude, and focus on user experience, he would prefer that I stay on the operations side, but expand my current role to suit my desires and provide more impact here... which actually, I am ok with. I know I will get a new title (which isn't important to the job, but is to reflect job progression, IMO), and go from network security engineer to (Enterprise) Security Architect. He was clear that if I chose, I could continue to go through the process, but when you think about it, barring every candidate being a walking David Shing or something (look him up on Google Images, he works for AOL and his title is 'Digital Prophet,' I kid you not), I wouldn't get the position, because he sees more value in me in a different role. And if I didn't then I wouldn't have the leverage that I do right now.

The role I was shooting for was CISO, but it's a big stretch from my current responsibilities to what he is asking of the CISO role... He envisions it as being strictly paperwork, developing and managing policies, and audits (we go through 12-15 audits a year), with little to no hands-on work. My role will be expanded to basically be all aspects security administration on an enterprise level. (currently, FWs and Ironport, and special projects.) I feel that Enterprise Security Architect really can bridge the gap between engineer and CISO, and in the end, will only make me a better CISO down the road.

I know it's not a lack of capability, qualifications, or experience, that makes him feel that way. We have senior level leadership replaced, with wholesale changes already, and more coming, and it makes sense to look outside to fill that role. I WAS clear to him that it was the role I eventually wanted, here or elsewhere, and had been for a long time, and he was appreciative of me being upfront about that.

I am hopeful that he will be amenable to my requests for staying in my current spot - salary increase, and Bank officership. He seems like a nice, reasonable guy, so we'll see.