Options

Wow, back to basics: Backup / Restore Userdata ?

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
My wife got an old laptop which still runs Windows 7 (4 or so years old) and it started to run somewhat slow (yepp, really), now I want to reinstall it - well, restoring the factory image, but I want to avoid to miss anything she may have on the laptop.

In fact, she got email accounts setup she doesn't even know the password from anymore and got no clue how to restore that :p

Would a Windows 7 "backup" backup not just her userprofile but also things like email accounts and can it be restored to a fresh install ?

Presume the SID of the username will different so I guess it won't work - but thought I ask anyway ...

Shocking, used to live and breathe windows lol ...
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Windows 7 Passwords

1.Press the keyboard shortcut Windows Logo Key + R to open the Run dialog.

2.Type rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr in the Run dialog and press Enter.
    Backup and Restore Windows Credentials

3.Click on the button labeled Back up… to backup the currently stored credentials.

IE Passwords

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\IntelliForms\SPW

Start > Type Regedit > Press Enter

When you locate the key, click on File > Export

Give the file a Name
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I do these quite a bit in the field for clients that are complaining about a 3-4 year old Win 7 install moving real slow or one that has consistant errors that can not be easily remediated (missing DLLs, corrput files, etc..)

1. Get a copy of mini XP and make it bootable from a USB

2. Do you have the license info for all of your apps? Win 7, office, adobe, etc...? If you do, skip to 2a. If not, run the Belarc Advisor and print/save this report after verifying it has all of the licenses you want/need. This grabs almost all of the licenses I need, but you dont want to miss one here...so verify it.

2a.Boot off from the mini XP image on the USB and get into windows explorer, navigate to your C: (assuming this is your OS install) drive then make a new folder and name it whatever you want (We use OLDPC.MM.YYYY). Copy/Paste everything from the C: drive into this new folder. When you are done, you C: drive should have just one folder in it (the folder you just made) that contains everything from the root of C: This step retains all of your data from your previous OS install.

3. Shut down the PC, reboot and do a clean install of Win 7 using the license you pulled in step 2. Do not format the drive, just do a clean install. This will retain the "OLDPC" folder you created in step 2a. If you need special drivers for hardware on the laptop, use the device manager to determine what hardware lacks drives then "install drivers"

4. Install apps, bring back data she needs out of the "OLDPC" folder you created in 2a. Expect the occasional, "this is missing" text/email. Dig into the OLDPC folder when you need to recover something.

I was given a Hirens USB that contains mini XP, so I cant help with setting that up but you shoudl be able to either purchase a Hirens boot disc or download MXP here:
    LiveXP - reboot.pro
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    FABs autobackup is a tool I used to use everyday when working for small business or residential clients, invaluable and catches everything.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    FABs autobackup is a tool I used to use everyday when working for small business or residential clients, invaluable and catches everything.

That looks good too.