Options

Linux+ with WGU

Comments

• Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's crazy! Good job. How was it exactly? I passed the 101. I see I need to make a transcript though, how long does it take to show up in CompTIA's website? Went to make a new transcript and do not get the option to include Linux+
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on your pass.

On the paper I believe it says 3-4 days, but I'm not 100% sure. I rarely ever login to CompTIA's website.
  • Options
    I feel like for the CCNA I just sent a copy over but the instructions say to do it thru CompTIA's website. I'll give it a few days and see what happens. I ended up re-reading the first 5 chapters and taking all new notes which really helped. I hope the 2nd half isn't as bad.
  • Options
    2nd half isn't that bad. With your CCNA, you'll find the networking questions pretty elementary. The networking commands also aren't hard to learn. Toughest for me was again just the file paths of some of the commands.
  • Options
    Okay, cool. I was thinking that I will not be able to send a transcript via CompTIA's site either since I only passed the first half. Was this the case for you? I think the e-mail said that is what they wanted, but maybe just a copy of the paper saying I passed will do.
  • Options
    To send to WGU? What I do, is immediately when I get out of the test with my results, I take a picture of the front page with my phone, send it from my WGU email to scores@wgu.edu and CC my mentor. It'll post within 2 business days.
  • Options
    That is what I did for the CCNA, but this is what the voucher e-mail says:

After you have received your score report for this assessment, you will need to request CompTIA to send a transcript email to Western Governors University. Please go to Information Technology (IT) Industry & Association | CompTIA click on the "Certification Tab". Click on the "Manage My Certifications" Tab. Then click on “certification account and log in on the next page. If you do not have an account, please select "Never logged in Before," you can find your login information on the score report you received at the test site. Please follow the onscreen instructions. You will then need to "Create a New Transcript" on the "Transcript" tab. Please enter your name, student ID and the WGU course code and 'PASS' or 'FAIL' into the "Remarks" section and specify scores@wgu.edu as the email address.

So, I didn't do it this time. I e-mailed my mentor to ask if I can just send a copy of the paper though and e-mailed CompTIA if I'll get the opportunity to post a transcript if WGU really wants it.
  • Options
    I just looked at the voucher I got and it said the same thing. I completely ignored that and just did the above and I got credit for both exams just fine. Maybe those are old instructions or something, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    dark3ddark3d Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're supposed to fill out the 'Cover Sheet' (think TPS report) and submit that with your test results. I routinely have scores posted same day or early the next morning.
    CISSP - January 2015
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (2/1/2015-6/16/2015)
    Working on: MSISA/Radware/Fortinet/Juniper/PAN

• Options
    dark3d wrote: »
    You're supposed to fill out the 'Cover Sheet' (think TPS report) and submit that with your test results. I routinely have scores posted same day or early the next morning.

Did you do that with every cert? I've only taken a picture of the results and sent it to the scores dpt, which is all my mentor said to do and mine posted just as quickly.
  • Options
    Almost half way through the CBT videos. Trying to maybe finish that by next week and start reading and lab sims, then request voucher.
  • Options
    Nice. You should be good to pass it next week if you have enough time to study up until then.
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »
    Nice. You should be good to pass it next week if you have enough time to study up until then.

I did all of the LabSim exams. I still have half the CBT videos left. Some of the LabSim videos were so easy for me, like the networking one. I did not pass a few times though and had to re-do them. And the material from for the earlier ones were still fresh so that went by pretty good too. I'm actually finding this to be easier. I'm going to try and bang out most of the CBT videos this week and then start the book I guess. I might just try and take it without the book and see what happens. I've never failed before though so I don't know if I'll be able to get myself to free ball it, but WGU gives you those two attempts so maybe. My original plan was to be done this by the end of June, and then it started looking like I wouldn't be done until mid July. If I can actually get this done before June ended, that would be incredible. I'd really try and bang out the Security+ (which I'm hoping is relatively easy given my education/work experience - I got a 95% on some 20 question practice test I found online) and the Project+ (which I heard was relatively easy). I'd love to make my second semester as painless as possible.

What are you currently working on yourself?
  • Options
    I did all of the LabSim exams. I still have half the CBT videos left. Some of the LabSim videos were so easy for me, like the networking one. I did not pass a few times though and had to re-do them. And the material from for the earlier ones were still fresh so that went by pretty good too. I'm actually finding this to be easier. I'm going to try and bang out most of the CBT videos this week and then start the book I guess. I might just try and take it without the book and see what happens. I've never failed before though so I don't know if I'll be able to get myself to free ball it, but WGU gives you those two attempts so maybe. My original plan was to be done this by the end of June, and then it started looking like I wouldn't be done until mid July. If I can actually get this done before June ended, that would be incredible. I'd really try and bang out the Security+ (which I'm hoping is relatively easy given my education/work experience - I got a 95% on some 20 question practice test I found online) and the Project+ (which I heard was relatively easy). I'd love to make my second semester as painless as possible.

What are you currently working on yourself?

It did seem a lot easier while studying because of all the simplistic networking questions, however the actual test seemed just as difficult since a lot of the questions had to do with the hierarchy.

Security+ isn't too difficult. A lot of it is common sense IMO.

Project+ is SO boring. It's easy, but so difficult to learn since it's so dry. I actually failed my first time. If you can absorb the info okay, then you'll do fine.

Right now I'm working on Data Management - Applications, which is the new SQL class. I studied for a week and barely failed the in-house exam this weekend, so hopefully I can pass it in a few days again. After I pass that and turn in the assignment for that class, it's just tech writing and my capstone.
  • Options
    It did seem a lot easier while studying because of all the simplistic networking questions, however the actual test seemed just as difficult since a lot of the questions had to do with the hierarchy.

Security+ isn't too difficult. A lot of it is common sense IMO.

Project+ is SO boring. It's easy, but so difficult to learn since it's so dry. I actually failed my first time. If you can absorb the info okay, then you'll do fine.

Right now I'm working on Data Management - Applications, which is the new SQL class. I studied for a week and barely failed the in-house exam this weekend, so hopefully I can pass it in a few days again. After I pass that and turn in the assignment for that class, it's just tech writing and my capstone.

I'm starting to get slightly better with the linux hierarchy. Not that I remember where everything goes or what everything means, but I guess it becomes easier to make an educated guess after awhile. I wouldn't think the Security+ would be too hard, especially for people like us. I've heard the Project+ is terribly boring. I have to take the DM - Apps class still. I was thinking about doing that after I do the 2nd Linux+, Security+ and Project+. How is it? What exactly goes into it course wise? I have yet to take a traditional class. I have until the end of September to get all this done but if the Data Management class isn't bad, I should be able to maybe squeeze another class in? I'd have tech writing and capstone, the Java class, principles of management, and organizational behavior and leadership. Which one would be the easiest of the three classes to sneak in if I have time? Guessing not Java. I'd love to only have 4 things to do my second semester and finish it before the semester ends.
  • Options
    You should be good then. There were a handful of things that I couldn't remember on the 102.

The DM - Apps class isn't too bad. I started studying on Monday (went through 11 chapters and 20 labs), took the practice exam, Friday, got a 72% (cut score is 65%), then took the exam the next day. Unfortunately, I got a 55% so I missed it by a few questions. I rushed it a bit as I took the practice exam today again and got 80%, so I'm thinking of focusing on my weak areas today and tomorrow and trying to take it again either tomorrow or Wednesday...Then you have to create a database and submit it as an assignment.

You can get Java removed from your degree I believe. I had that class and got it removed last year. Principles and O.B are very easy. Both classes I studied for about a week and took the exam. You just have to learn a few terms and there's some common sense stuff in there.
  • Options
    You should be good then. There were a handful of things that I couldn't remember on the 102.

The DM - Apps class isn't too bad. I started studying on Monday (went through 11 chapters and 20 labs), took the practice exam, Friday, got a 72% (cut score is 65%), then took the exam the next day. Unfortunately, I got a 55% so I missed it by a few questions. I rushed it a bit as I took the practice exam today again and got 80%, so I'm thinking of focusing on my weak areas today and tomorrow and trying to take it again either tomorrow or Wednesday...Then you have to create a database and submit it as an assignment.

You can get Java removed from your degree I believe. I had that class and got it removed last year. Principles and O.B are very easy. Both classes I studied for about a week and took the exam. You just have to learn a few terms and there's some common sense stuff in there.

How can I get it removed? Curious about this. That's good news about the other classes, thanks.
  • Options
    My mentor did it for me. He had to put in for a change of degree plan I believe so I'm not sure if you have to wait until your term is over or not, but either way he should be able to do it for you.
  • Options
    Do you need to substitute with something else?
  • Options
    Nope. So it was a no-brainer. No Java and less classes.
  • Options
    That's awesome. I won't get my hopes up lol.
  • Options
    Regarding C169, you will have to take this course. You took C173 which is the foundation course and C169 is the second part. I don’t know what courses your friend has in his transcript. If you had taken DHV1, you would have received “requirement met” for C169. Also TJP1 and TJC1 would have given you “requirement met for C169 also. It’s my job to evaluate your transcript to make sure you are taking the correct courses.

Bummer.
  • Options
    Ah, that stinks. I ended up transferring in with my Associate's degree and that covered TJP1 and TJC1, so that must be the reason why.
  • Options
    I transferred in with 2 complete Associate's and classes (including a Java class) from a 4 year university. I've always thought it was BS I had to take this and somehow never got out of it.
  • Options
    Wow, that's just strange. I mean I guess at least it's an in-house exam and not a crappy CIW exam you have to take at a testing center, but still. I totally get it as I was not a fan of the Java class I took at my previous school.
  • Options
    They ended up giving me a reason that never satisfied me. I forget what it was though but it wasn't good. Java just isn't fun, you're right. I'm hoping to get to the point where I only have java, tech writing, capstone, those two business classes for my 2nd semester. Maybe it would motivate me to power through it. It would at least give me a lot of time to do it. I put in for the Linux voucher. I'll be done the videos in the next week or so. What score did you end up getting? I'm kinda hoping there's enough network and security questions to really boost the score up. I don't feel like going overkill like last time where I ended up reading the book twice and taking brand new notes.
  • Options
    So the minimum score to pass is 500 and I got exactly that. There really weren't a ton of networking/security questions on the exam I got which is partially the reason I got such a low score. I also blazed through it in under 20 minutes. But since it's WGU and you get a couple vouchers for free, there's no reason to overkill it the first time around. If you fail, then you can evaluate what you need to study further.
  • Options
    So the minimum score to pass is 500 and I got exactly that. There really weren't a ton of networking/security questions on the exam I got which is partially the reason I got such a low score. I also blazed through it in under 20 minutes. But since it's WGU and you get a couple vouchers for free, there's no reason to overkill it the first time around. If you fail, then you can evaluate what you need to study further.

I like your logic. That's scary as hell getting exactly 500 lol.
  • Options
    I also got an 898 on the CCNA Security, which is the minimum score (first try also). For both exams I had to look at the results several times to make sure I passed, lol.
  • Options
    I didn't pass that by much either. I never got CCP working so I pretty much had to guess on all of it. Probably where I went wrong mostly lol. That was an awful day too. Miserable weather, I was late, forgot to charge my phone and after I was done I was completely lost and was really late to work. That was on a Friday. Think I immediately pounded back a beer as soon as I walked in the door that night.