Options

How much hard is the CCNA?

marcj04marcj04 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

So I just recently got my Network+ not that long ago. It took me a month of studying to really understand everything. I have zero networking experience but now I feel like I have a general grasp on the world of networking.

After reading around, it seems that a Bachelors in Information Systems, A network+ and around 8 months of IT Support experience won't be enough to land a Network Admin job. I was planning on working on the CCNA after I graduated because I wanted to focus on school but I need to land a Network Admin job after graduation so I am just going to tough it out and pretty much drop my social life and work on the CCNA while in school and working.

My question is, how much harder are the ICND1 and the ICND2 exams? Should I take the ICND1 soon since the Network+ is still fresh in my mind? I hear that they are pretty similar.

My plan is to get the Wendell Odom books as well as subscribing to CBT Nuggets. I am also going to buy some routers and switches once I find out what exactly I will need to build a home lab.

Do you guys think I could pass the CCNA within 6 months if I am just studying two hours a week?

Thanks for the advice everyone. Also if anyone could point me in the right direction for what to buy so I can practice for the CCNA, that would be greatly appreciated. I have seen some "CCNA Packages" online but I don't know if that would be enough.

*EDIT* I know I mispelled the thread title lol. I wrote this up pretty quickly as I need to get some homework done

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Odems book and a good simulator is all you really need. However the more stuff you add on the better. Two hours a week is not really much at all. If you knew the stuff I would say no problem but if your starting Cisco with no networking experience I would suggest an hour a day. Six months is plenty of time to get it done but it's up to you how much of the six months is spent on CCNA.

I like to suggest people try to gauge their reading comprehension speed. How fast can you read and understand a chapter. The books are about 1500 pages a piece so that gives you an idea of how much reading you need for the first pass. You will probably need to review or read another book to really fill in the gaps that you miss on the first reading.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Hey Jon,
    Thank you so much for the advice. I wasn't sure if it was possible for someone to grasp the material in 6 months with just one hour a week. I guess one hour a day it is lol. It will be tough to mix that in with all the reading I am doing for school. Hopefully it works hand in hand with my Network Engineering class but that class goes over more on mathematical and theoretical networking topics.
  • Options
    tecnodog7tecnodog7 Member Posts: 129
    When I was doing my ICND1 i put it around 3 hours a day. I didn't have Odems book only CBT Nugget videos which I went through twice plus taking notes and reading online. NOT to mention doing mad labs and doing everything he did to get comfortable on the command line. So 3 hours a day for a month = 1 hour a day for 3 months. If your saying 1 hour a week, that's only 4 hours a month so suppose there are 30 days so you need 30 hours it will take you 4*8 =32 8 months with that pace not to mention you might forget stuff week apart. If you want to do your ccna you got to put in time everyday.
  • Options
    How does this kit look?
    Basic 2 Router & 2 Switch CCNA Lab Kit 200-120 - CertificationKits

Will this be enough for the CCNA? Also do I need to purchase anything else to get this lab up and running? Doesn't look like it comes with rack or anything.
  • Options
    mweaver84mweaver84 Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    marcj04 wrote: »
    How does this kit look?
    Basic 2 Router & 2 Switch CCNA Lab Kit 200-120 - CertificationKits

Will this be enough for the CCNA? Also do I need to purchase anything else to get this lab up and running? Doesn't look like it comes with rack or anything.

I'm not going to comment on the lab you linked but just an FYI, you would be fine just using Packet Tracer.

You can find a free version online, just google "free student edition packet tracer" . Don't remember exactly which website I downloaded mine off of.

I spent over $400 on my lab, put the link below, and still use the packet tracer for alot of the testing. I almost wish I would've waited to buy a real lab. Can do pretty much everything in Packet Tracer. I'll probably use the lab more down line though, I've heard you absolutely need a lab to do somethings on the CCNP exam.

Cisco Ccent CCNA CCNP Lab Kit 3X CISCO1841 iOS 15 1 2X 2960 24 iOS 15 0 Rack | eBay
  • Options
    mweaver84 wrote: »
    I'm not going to comment on the lab you linked but just an FYI, you would be fine just using Packet Tracer.

You can find a free version online, just google "free student edition packet tracer" . Don't remember exactly which website I downloaded mine off of.

I spent over $400 on my lab, put the link below, and still use the packet tracer for alot of the testing. I almost wish I would've waited to buy a real lab. Can do pretty much everything in Packet Tracer. I'll probably use the lab more down line though, I've heard you absolutely need a lab to do somethings on the CCNP exam.

Cisco Ccent CCNA CCNP Lab Kit 3X CISCO1841 iOS 15 1 2X 2960 24 iOS 15 0 Rack | eBay

Thanks for the heads up. I think I might just buy the lab anyways. I do plan to keep on taking future exams.
  • Options
    tecnodog7tecnodog7 Member Posts: 129
    I agree with mweaver84.

Initially I was also going to buy it, but with the combination of GNS3 and packet tracer i think i'll be fine.
    I will get it for CCNP for sure.
  • Options
    BryandoBryando Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    At first I thought my Network + was a lot of info.... Then working on ICND1 I realized I knew nothing but a fraction! I'm almost ready for my ICND2 exam and It has made me realize that a CCNA is just the tip of the iceberg. I suggest going for the CCNP for the network admin job if you want to be the chief network guy at the company.
  • Options
    Bryando wrote: »
    At first I thought my Network + was a lot of info.... Then working on ICND1 I realized I knew nothing but a fraction! I'm almost ready for my ICND2 exam and It has made me realize that a CCNA is just the tip of the iceberg. I suggest going for the CCNP for the network admin job if you want to be the chief network guy at the company.

That is definitely the plan. I will not stop learning and getting certs. I really want to be a Network Engineer and I will do whatever it takes. My ultimate goal is the CCIE. So then would you say that the INCD1 is a lot tougher than the Network+? I didn't find it hard at all, just a lot of things to memorize. I loved the simulations portion of the exam.

I just downloaded Packet Tracer and I can already tell that I am going to love messing with it. Thanks for the heads up everyone. I think I will end up buying an actual physical set up but since I am kind of on a budget right now, I'll stick with Packet Tracer for now.
  • Options
    That is definitely the plan. I will not stop learning and getting certs. I really want to be a Network Engineer and I will do whatever it takes. My ultimate goal is the CCIE. So then would you say that the INCD1 is a lot tougher than the Network+? I didn't find it hard at all, just a lot of things to memorize. I loved the simulations portion of the exam.

I just downloaded Packet Tracer and I can already tell that I am going to love messing with it. Thanks for the heads up everyone. I think I will end up buying an actual physical set up but since I am kind of on a budget right now, I'll stick with Packet Tracer for now.

I've only been studying for the INCD1 for 2-3 weeks now but imo the INCD1 is alot more information you'll need to know. (thought the Network+ was pretty simple...) But the INCD1 is alot more interesting as well! You actually get to learn how to and implement setting up a network instead of just reading about one. Pretty cool stuff.
  • Options
    Apples and Oranges my friend.
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Hey guys,

So I just recently got my Network+ not that long ago. It took me a month of studying to really understand everything. I have zero networking experience but now I feel like I have a general grasp on the world of networking.

After reading around, it seems that a Bachelors in Information Systems, A network+ and around 8 months of IT Support experience won't be enough to land a Network Admin job. I was planning on working on the CCNA after I graduated because I wanted to focus on school but I need to land a Network Admin job after graduation so I am just going to tough it out and pretty much drop my social life and work on the CCNA while in school and working.

My question is, how much harder are the ICND1 and the ICND2 exams? Should I take the ICND1 soon since the Network+ is still fresh in my mind? I hear that they are pretty similar.

My plan is to get the Wendell Odom books as well as subscribing to CBT Nuggets. I am also going to buy some routers and switches once I find out what exactly I will need to build a home lab.

Do you guys think I could pass the CCNA within 6 months if I am just studying two hours a week?

Thanks for the advice everyone. Also if anyone could point me in the right direction for what to buy so I can practice for the CCNA, that would be greatly appreciated. I have seen some "CCNA Packages" online but I don't know if that would be enough.

*EDIT* I know I mispelled the thread title lol. I wrote this up pretty quickly as I need to get some homework done

6 months for the CCNA all depends on how much study you put in. I completed my CCNA whilst at Uni and during the first few months of my first job after University and it took me just under a year. I think it all depends on how much you work with the stuff too, I wouldn't rush the CCNA just to get the pass.

You really need to understand the fundamentals and concepts to move up onto the CCNP etc as if you don't understand the groundwork you'll fall flat onto your face!

I'd recommend Cisco Packet-Tracer, books and about 2/3 hours a day.

Good luck!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Options
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the heads up. I think I might just buy the lab anyways. I do plan to keep on taking future exams.

The equipment is good to have, there is some things I learned better from using the equipment (not IOS related). Seeing the physical connections, helped me understand the logical flow of data better as well.

With that said, I did 90% of my labbing in GNS3.
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    suprised no ne has mentioned it here, but GET EXPERIENCE
    it trumps almost everything. Hell with some IT experience and a N+ i am now a network tech, and working on the CCNA. Dont just expect to get a bunch of certs then get your dream job, even with the certs you will realize you wont know enough walking into the job once you start having to really work and troubleshoot the equipment. Go find a network tech position, or jr network admin, get some experience while studying for your ccna.

We get resumes all the time at my job with people with degrees, i work closley with my boss, and honestly we look for experience and certs first, and really dont care to much for a degree. each place is different though. But if you have experience, and certs, your very likely getting a interview before those who have a degree and certs with no experience. Considering you know how to write a resume.

It does happen though, i failed my CCENT by three points the first go (I completely owned the N+) yet i was fixing problems for a CCNP that had as much book smarts as needed to get the job but not a clue what he was doing. It was kinda of entertaining to hear him frustrated out of his mind over lapping subnets when doing IPSEC, and forgetting to add icmp to the ACL, while here i am not even a CCENT.

Heres a huge load of truth for you. I learned more at my job in a month then i did with the N+. IT people know this, and people you want to work with will know this. Go get a job, and continue your education. You will be a much needed commodity and a huge asset wherever you go.

and last thought. The CCENT is harder than the N+ by...quite a bit. Study every day, make it your first priority before video games, or tv, or going out of friday nights etc. You want to party while your making 40k a year or party while your making 100k a year? your choice
  • Options
    Thats a nice thought, but good luck getting a Networking job with just a Network+ certification.... I think thats kind of crazy to even hire someone with just that cert because it is so basic. Unless the person has multiple years experience that is. Which he does not. Sounds like you might have a manager willing to risk their network though?