Options

HT get into the technical writing field?

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been in networking for the last seven years, and the computer field for the last nine. However, I'm wanting to move into the technical writing field. I've done writing on my own; I have numerous articles published in a national magazine, and I have a bachelors in liberal arts (languages), although I haven't done any technical writing.

My issue is how to get a technical writing job without technical writing experience? I have to support my family, so I can't just intern for someone for free. I don't know if anyone else has had some kind of trick to break into the field. It may have to do with who you know.

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Even though you haven't been in a technical writing role, it sounds like you have a good bit of experience and references for your work. Have you tailored your resume?
  • Options
    Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ehh...well, I've tried to make lean it toward technical writing as much as I can. I don't know if there is one major program (or more) that tech writing employers really want their employees to know. If so, I'd try to learn it. I see Visio mentioned sometimes, and I've worked with that. Also MS Powerpoint, which I've also worked with some. I thought my technical experience plus my published articles would count for something, but I've never even gotten a call for an interview from any of my applications.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cat5 wrote: »
    Ehh...well, I've tried to make lean it toward technical writing as much as I can. I don't know if there is one major program (or more) that tech writing employers really want their employees to know. If so, I'd try to learn it. I see Visio mentioned sometimes, and I've worked with that. Also MS Powerpoint, which I've also worked with some. I thought my technical experience plus my published articles would count for something, but I've never even gotten a call for an interview from any of my applications.

Sounds like you need to tailor it more, or on your current role start offering to do more technical writing, or publish more work and then put that on your resume.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would think UML would be a must to be a serious consideration.