Options

ESXi Cluster Design: Including a physical DC box?

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

So the past few months of doing VMware deployments I've been doing the typical 2/3 host clusters with iSCSI/svMotion/vMotion separated fabric connected to a Equalogic SAN (there my bread and butter and know them intimately) and management vlans integrated into existing LAN switching fabric if applicable. (and only when no upgrades are needed)

On top of the normal P2V conversion I like to go with a single physical DC (normally it's the Infrastructure, RID and PDC Master) setup on top of the entire topology being virtualized and I was curious how you guys think about this practice? - I'm sure in large cluster of 5 or more server it might be not be needed but for small cluster's to me it seems to have a good impact in a DR scenario plus I like to do a nightly Acronis full system state image of the server or I could just be super **** icon_rolleyes.gif - let me know your opinions!!!

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There's no technical reason to maintain a physical DC. That said, customers fear the "all eggs in one basket", so they usually maintain few physical DCs.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    We have only physical DCs in our environment. It doesn't really matter as long as you don't have a SPOF.