Options

Network Engineer

SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if you could help me out. I really would like to be come a network engineer and I guess the first place to start would be qualifications / certs. I am studying towards my CCNA which I hope to progress to Voice, Security and eventually a CCNP.

Is there any needed certs or qualifications to become a network engineer or any advice on how to get into the career? I'm currently employed and I do first and second line work.

Thanks,
Simon
Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle

Comments

• Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Certs are a good start. I encourage you to do your CCNA first. It's the basic block in network engineering. However, don't get frustrated by the amount of material you need to learn. Many people **** their way to higher status certs and find themselves stuck in basic network issues. I remember once I was in a meeting, and the guy beside me (a Senior Data Center Consultant) said something very funny about network management traffic. I almost laughed :)
    So get started and post your progress on TE!
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My favorite advice to give is to make a list of the top companies that you would like to work for. Then study their job postings for requirements. Maybe friend a few people that work there on Linkedin.
  • Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had the same dream 8 years ago. It wasn't an easy climb, but let me tell you it's so worth it. Study as much as you can, read those books like no other and lab as much as possible. Do that day in and day out, and I promise you'll get noticed and you'll get that network engineer title!
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    I had the same dream 8 years ago. It wasn't an easy climb, but let me tell you it's so worth it. Study as much as you can, read those books like no other and lab as much as possible. Do that day in and day out, and I promise you'll get noticed and you'll get that network engineer title!

I'm really excited to get going - I don't have a degree though, do you think this will slow my process down or would Cisco certs make up for it?
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck dude! I am embarking on a similar path including CCNA but dont mind my current Sys admin role. Definately network on linked in etc as network jobs dont seem to come up all too often in the UK, saying that it's probably better where you are in London
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just to add you don't need a degree, certs and experience really get you noticed here. I have a degree but in a totally unrelated field so constantly have to explain this in interviews, lol
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Simrid wrote: »
    I'm really excited to get going - I don't have a degree though, do you think this will slow my process down or would Cisco certs make up for it?

You can still be successful without a degree. It may be harder to get you foot in the door but don't give up on getting in and you will make it just fine.
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    Node Man wrote: »
    My favorite advice to give is to make a list of the top companies that you would like to work for. Then study their job postings for requirements. Maybe friend a few people that work there on Linkedin.

I like this method as well. Make a matrix of the most mentioned skill sets. Then work on gaining experience in each while working on your CCNA. Some job postings will say if a degree is required or preferred. Some may not mention a degree at all.

Good luck!
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!