Options

CCNA/CCNP Physical Lab Equipment??

DeemeetriDeemeetri Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I will be studying to achieve my CCNA and will be jumping towards the CCNP right after but I do not even know where to start towards building a home lab for myself. I've been told packet tracer would do the trick for CCNA but i don't buy it as i will be working with the equipment so virtualizing this doesn't make sense since I'm making this a career as apposed to just a certificate. Would anyone be able to please give me an idea of what I would need for a CCNA/CCNP lab?? I will be using my tax refund to purchase this equipment but have no idea where to start. Any suggestions are highly appreciated and thank you in advance guys.

Comments

• Options
    mweaver84mweaver84 Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Deemeetri wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I will be studying to achieve my CCNA and will be jumping towards the CCNP right after but I do not even know where to start towards building a home lab for myself. I've been told packet tracer would do the trick for CCNA but i don't buy it as i will be working with the equipment so virtualizing this doesn't make sense since I'm making this a career as apposed to just a certificate. Would anyone be able to please give me an idea of what I would need for a CCNA/CCNP lab?? I will be using my tax refund to purchase this equipment but have no idea where to start. Any suggestions are highly appreciated and thank you in advance guys.

I thought that same thing until I actually bought a lab and used Packet Tracer. Its pretty much the exact same thing. I know packet tracer has its limitations but I don't believe you will run into any of those limitations until you start studying for the CCNP. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong there!

Seriously, Packet Tracer is just fine unless you need practice plugging in cables into something. I think its one of those things you don't believe until you actually start doing it both ways though.
  • Options
    ecuadraecuadra Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    stick with packet tracer for CCNA, once you start the CCNP studies then get some 3560 switches, 2811 or 1841 routers. Look for iso 15 capable switches and routers.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    There are so many threads on here about home labs and what to get for what, it seems as if it is becoming an almost daily question, then throw in the PT vs. equipment debate and it really gets long. Do a search and you will see many different suggestions as well as how to most effectively use both a lab or a simulation program.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    +1 on what's been said above. If you just simply don't want to use PT or GNS3, sure nothing wrong with buying some hardware and using that instead. There are certain things you won't learn in PT or GNS3 that you will learn with physical hardware lab hands-on, but I would say 90% you can easily get done in PT or GNS3.

For lab hardware, there are plenty of threads on this already.... you don't absolutely have to get routers that support 15 version and can get most done on 12.4 as the core doesn't change much, just some extras get added and you'll see that if you go through the exam blue-prints /agenda on topics and compare it against the 12.4 vs 15 ios.

I used PT and then purchased some basic 26xx series routers and 2950 switches for hands-on, I've since then added some 2811/3550s for my voice lab and most can still be used for CCNP r&s as well. Take a look at some examples on the forum and on INE site for example.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When you are brand new to this it can be very confusing and google searches can some times make it worse rather than answering questions. So it might be helpful if we had a topic on this stickied showing what hardware was needed for labs and maybe a pros and cons of using hardware vs GNS3 or Packet Tracer.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    siggnationsiggnation Member Posts: 182
    ecuadra wrote: »
    stick with packet tracer for CCNA, once you start the CCNP studies then get some 3560 switches, 2811 or 1841 routers. Look for iso 15 capable switches and routers.

ecuadra--why do you recommend 3560 switches for CCNP level as opposed to 3550? I plan to go CCNP eventually, and I set my sights on a couple 3550s on eBay; would the 3560s benefit my cause more?

Thanks.
    Currently Reading:

CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam v. 5.1
    CCIE Routing and Switching 5.0 OCG, Vol. I
    Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well most 3560's (non-poe) will run version 15 of the ios, they do private vlans, and support ipv6 which 3550's don't. and if they are the same price a 3750 that supports stacking will be even better.
  • Options
    I definitely agree, a sticky on lab equipment and what constitutes a good lab would really be nice, with a sub-topic about PT and GNS3 that way almost all of the information that has been accumulated over the years would be easy access and then after reading through it, specific questions could be addressed.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    HAMPHAMP Member Posts: 163
    I believe the key words the OP used in his reasoning for getting a home lab is, "virtualizing this doesn't make sense since I'm making this a career as apposed to just a certificate".

I feel the same way, and I have used both PT and have a home lab. It depends on the situation if PT is better than having home equipment. To me, the only reason PT is better is you can have more virtual equipment when setting up, and you can be extremely lazy when setting up and breaking it all down.

Also it depends on the person, while some can learn easier with one method compared to the other.

Believe me, I appreciate having the real stuff at home.

To the OP,
    By now you have read that I am in favor of you getting the equipment. Sounds like you plan to buy a kit with what you get from your tax return, and of course you know, you will be adding to it as you go, so don’t try and go all out. I bought a kit that came with 2 routers and 2 switches, and before even taking the first part of the exam(which you don’t need any equipment), I added 2 more routers and 4 more switches.

In my opinion have a look at CertificationKits.com

They have some nice beginning kits, and some which depend on your budget are pretty darn good for starting off. I like how they have a kit, and you can upgrade for an additional price. They do have support for your questions; they do a little extra to help you out.
  • Options
    Holly crap man CertificationKits.com looks pretty good. Have you ordered from them?? Do they include the 450 Page CCNA Lab Workbook Covering 60+ Labs ​for free and if so, is it any good???
  • Options
    Holly crap man CertificationKits.com looks pretty good. Have you ordered from them?? Do they include the 450 Page CCNA Lab Workbook Covering 60+ Labs ​for free and if so, is it any good???

They are probably one of the best companies out there for getting kits, they are bit more expensive than others or putting it together yourself, but they are a one stop shopping solution for those that just want to get everything at once.
  • Options
    chipcreepchipcreep Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm glad I found this thread!

I passed the Network+ in August and have since wondered which test I was going to do. I thought about Security+ but I really wanted to go ahead and jump into the Cisco stuff lately. The plan is doing the ICND1 100-101 to start out with because I have had little actual hands on experience.

Glad I didn't start a seperate thread! I am using Packet Tracer and a book to help study but I'd also really like some equipment just to help cement what I learn. CertificationKits.com looks great but a co-worker of mine also gave me a list of hardware that almost equals in price whereas his list doesn't have books/cables but some other devices.

I'm just trying to figure out whether I should get used, new, or refurbished hardware (or if it matters)? I like the fact that those certification kits come with labs because if I get a bunch of equipment right away I may be just scratching my head for a while.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    There is no point in buying (you most likely won't find it new anyway, unless it's NOS) new routers/switches for a lab as most if not all of the commonly used models have been EOL/EOS for years.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    With all of the used equipment around, there is no reason to even attempt purchasing new equipment and most of the stuff we use in labs is not even available new anylonger.
  • Options
    Funny you mention that book. I sat it to the side and forgotten about it. I studied for the CCENT, and then afterwards I started looking for something that had labs for me to practice with it. Looking for labs, I read a post in the forum, and they mentioned how well that book is, and I came close to (re)buying it.

I found it, and it is pretty good so far for what I have done.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    HAMP wrote: »
    I believe the key words the OP used in his reasoning for getting a home lab is, "virtualizing this doesn't make sense since I'm making this a career as apposed to just a certificate".

I use GNS3 almost daily to test configurations and whatnot. I'm looking at getting some CSR1000Vs setup for us to test and/or lab stuff with as well. GNS3 and CRS1000V are basically the best you can get. It is very cheap compared to purchasing equipment and it is fully featured. You only lose out on being able to physically rack and connect them.

There is a reason that virtual routers + physical switches is currently the most popular lab setup. You get the ability to do pretty much anything you need to for a small fraction of the cost of a physical lab, with the flexibility to drag and drop and new router into the topology if you want.

If you want a lesson on the best way to do this, look at INE's CCIE lab setup. 10 CSR1000Vs connected to 4 physical l3 switches. It works very well, is stable, and the best part is that it is far cheaper than building a full physical topology while also giving you extreme flexibility.
  • Options
    If price wasn't a factor, which would you prefer? A building your own or using virtual/software?
  • Options
    HAMP wrote: »
    If price wasn't a factor, which would you prefer? A building your own or using virtual/software?

Price is no object for me, so I built a real lab, and after working with it for a while now while still servicing customers, I am damn glad I did.
  • Options
    RodneyMcKayRodneyMcKay Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think the real issue is if you want your skills to be relevant.

What good is learning a cert from Cisco if you've never touched one of their routers before?

If you walk into an interview and they ask you what experience you have with real kit. I don't think saying "I've only used simulators because that's all I needed to pass the exam" will get you very far in life.

I've already learned loads just from the process of putting together my own lab.
  • Options
    xl Lost lxxl Lost lx Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed my CCNA last month, At home i used nothing but packet tracer but had spare live equipment to play with at work :D. Honestly you only need PT to pass CCNA haven't done anything with CCNP to give you any real insight on what you would need to prepare.
  • Options
    mweaver84mweaver84 Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the real issue is if you want your skills to be relevant.

What good is learning a cert from Cisco if you've never touched one of their routers before?

If you walk into an interview and they ask you what experience you have with real kit. I don't think saying "I've only used simulators because that's all I needed to pass the exam" will get you very far in life.

I've already learned loads just from the process of putting together my own lab.

If you haven't touched a physical router/switch it just means you haven't had more practice plugging in cables.... That is all. You are working on and configuring the same IOS. You will learn more about outdated switches and routers versions that most companies no longer use though. (unless your rich and buy new equipment)

Personally, I actually have my own physical lab and love it, I just find your reasoning isn't valid. I have my own equipment because I find it more interesting configuring live equipment right in front of me, and I learn better because I'm more interested in it. That is all. I'm not going to learn how to configure a network anymore then someone using Packet Tracer or GSN3 though.

If you have the extra cash, I'd recommend buying a lab because its fun to set up live equipment, not because your skills will be more relevant.
  • Options
    My logic tells me that since I am making a career out of this and not just getting the CCNA to run around yelling I GOT MY CCNA for anyone who would listen, I'm thinking a physical lab would be the way to go since CCNP is the next step which I would have to purchase the lab either way which would take time, time I don't want to waste in between CCNA and CCNP studies. It's like you're going to work for FORD and are interviewing with a senior mechanic asks you if you've had hands on experience with fixing a car... I see the convo going as follows; yes, yes I have but not an actual car, "what do you mean not an actual car??" well there's this software that i used where i can drag and drop engines and break pads and turn the wrench with my mouse, oh and I can even choose what color i want the car I'm working on to be..(after a pause and a weird stare) "get the f**k out of my office"
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My logic tells me that since I am making a career out of this and not just getting the CCNA to run around yelling I GOT MY CCNA for anyone who would listen, I'm thinking a physical lab would be the way to go since CCNP is the next step which I would have to purchase the lab either way which would take time, time I don't want to waste in between CCNA and CCNP studies. It's like you're going to work for FORD and are interviewing with a senior mechanic asks you if you've had hands on experience with fixing a car... I see the convo going as follows; yes, yes I have but not an actual car, "what do you mean not an actual car??" well there's this software that i used where i can drag and drop engines and break pads and turn the wrench with my mouse, oh and I can even choose what color i want the car I'm working on to be..(after a pause and a weird stare) "get the f**k out of my office"

To make that comparison tells me you probably have never worked with Packet Tracer or live equipment? Would realize how much it doesnt really work at all in this situation.... Sorry

Your configuring the switches and routers the exact same way with Packet Tracer and live equipment. (minus physically plugging in cables of course)
  • Options
    I do use and perfer working on my lab I built because its more fun imo though =P
  • Options
    As I said, I am glad I purchased my lab and am able to work with all of the little nuances I have run into while in the field. Before it gets said, I also have worked with PT as well as GNS3 I will take the real equipment over the simulations any day.

I spent 30 years in the Army and retied as an O6, I can tell you my guys who had actually been through live fire in the field exercises were always better than my guys who had never been exposed to anything other than a simulator, many of my friends in the Air Force will also tell you a prospect can learn to fly in a simulator, but they don't become a pilot until they have hands on in the jet experience.

If you have the money, get the lab, you will be very happy you did.
  • Options
    I just find your guys' examples funny, there are huge differences in your guys' examples between simulation and real thing =P

In the Cisco simulator you are doing, seeing, and feeling the exact same thing you would on live equipment. Like I said I prefer live equipment too, your guys' examples crack me up though. If you can afford and plan on going for CCNP, go for the live equipment. I think you need it CCNP because there is something that Packet Tracer can't do I believe anyways. Don't remember what it is off the top of my head though. Could be wrong too, not sure!
  • Options
    I just find your guys' examples funny, there are huge differences in your guys' examples between simulation and real thing =P

In the Cisco simulator you are doing, seeing, and feeling the exact same thing you would on live equipment. Like I said I prefer live equipment too, your guys' examples crack me up though. If you can afford and plan on going for CCNP, go for the live equipment. I think you need it CCNP because there is something that Packet Tracer can't do I believe anyways. Don't remember what it is off the top of my head though. Could be wrong too, not sure!

Remember there is no requirement for you to agree with any of us, it will not change our method of study and work. As I said, money is no object to me, I do this as basically a hobby that I can make a few bucks now and then to fund my RC heli hobby and I use the knowledge I have learned through having equipment to help my friends in their business networks.

I can tell you I have ran into situations in the field that PT did not cover, PT covers enough to get your cert, but it does not cover everything you might run into and remember this, unless you set that network up from day one, it is new, you will never know how someone before you. Certification is a great thing, but it is not the only thing, there are situations that matter that are not covered. There is still equipment out there, that is not covered in PT.

It would be ideal if every single office you go into has the newest greatest and best equipment, but that is not the real world. I also became certified on windows 2008 and 2003 because I know there are still business's around my area that can't afford to upgrade and they still run that software.

As I said, there is ideal situations and then there is real life. But like I said to begin with, there is no requirement to agree with anybody else, you have the ability to do it your way, we have the ability to do it our way. I am glad we can make you laugh, it has always been my goal in life to make people happy.
  • Options
    I said I do use and prefer using my own home lab though icon_sad.gif I just thought the examples you guys used were funny thats all. icon_cat.gificon_cat.gificon_cat.gificon_cat.gificon_cat.gif
  • Options
    I said I do use and prefer using my own home lab though icon_sad.gif I just thought the examples you guys used were funny thats all. icon_cat.gificon_cat.gificon_cat.gificon_cat.gificon_cat.gif

Please, there was no animosity or malice in my message, none at all, I am just explaining my position on this exact same discussion that seems to pop up every couple of weeks on this system.
  • Options
    Paulieb81Paulieb81 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @deemeetri, hey check out my thread for a few examples of equipment if you are thinking of going the physical route, I had asked recently and got some really good advice from a few people there.

As you can see though in your thread that you have people on both sides of the coin, some like physical, others say virtual is just as good. The great thing is that you can try out virtual first for free as it wont really cost you much for some of the tools, while you wait to find good deals on equipment. Ebay is a great resource for cheap used equipment, however you have to know what you are looking for and be patient to wait for a good deal.
    Going back to school to finish my B.S.
    Goals for 2017: Security+, CCNA = NOT DONE YET
    Goals for 2018: VCP6, PMI CAPM, ITIL, Six Sigma
    ... and when there is time: MCSE, CCNA Security