Options

Passed ICND1 and ICND2!

cisco_kidd20cisco_kidd20 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just passed my ICND2 today (passed my ICND1 Monday)

I found it fairly easy and much simpler than the V1 exam 3 years ago. The V1 exam labs were much more in depth with the IOS than V2, so I have to say anyone re-certing will just need to brush up on a few new topics.

Study materials:

Cisco Press ICND1
Cisco Press ICND2
CBT Nuggets
Youtube - used for clarification on a few topics
This subnetting chart, it helped me a great deal to answer subnetting questions very fast. Memorize it and write it down on your dry erase sheet when you sit for your exam:

Packet Tracer!!!

I cannot stress enough how much Packet Tracer is such a good tool to use if you cannot afford actual hardware. I find the latest versions of Packet Tracer to simulate the actual IOS 99%. I Googled some OSPF, VTP, and EIGRP labs online and went at it. Reading will only help you so far, but if you have to actually explain how you came to your conclusion hands on experience will always help you. My tests were paid for by my company, however prior to testing I had to be assessed on topics in each chapter and actually explain how I came to my conclusion, just so they don't think they are throwing away $150 a pop. If you cannot explain a topic, you aren't ready.

Good luck to all of those who are studying!!

Comments

• Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on getting your CCNA. icon_thumright.gif
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    RodneyMcKayRodneyMcKay Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    tecnodog7tecnodog7 Member Posts: 129
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    great job

and thanks for the insight on icnd1 vs 2 as ill be taking 2 in a bit
  • Options
    great job

and thanks for the insight on icnd1 vs 2 as ill be taking 2 in a bit

Hey Codeman6669, to be clear, I meant the ICND 1 and ICND 2 exams 3 years ago were harder than the ICND1 and ICND2 presently, IMO. The labs were much more in depth 3 years ago. Today's ICND2 includes more EIGRP, OSPF, GLBP and Netflow...Frame Relay is about the same. If you know those topics you should be good to go.
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    Hey Codeman6669, to be clear, I meant the ICND 1 and ICND 2 exams 3 years ago were harder than the ICND1 and ICND2 presently, IMO. The labs were much more in depth 3 years ago. Today's ICND2 includes more EIGRP, OSPF, GLBP and Netflow...Frame Relay is about the same. If you know those topics you should be good to go.
    Awesome thanks man!
  • Options
    RynoRRynoR Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ThechainremainsThechainremains Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What was your percentage on the troubleshooting section on ICND2? Just curious... On my 1CND2, I got percentages in the 30% range in that section but still managed to pass the test...

What i dont get it, how can the troubleshooting on the ICND2 count for a 1/3 of the test but yet require no configuration at all.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass man! Are you moving onto anything else next?
  • Options
    BryandoBryando Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    C
    o
    n
    g
    a
    t
    s
    !
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    CCIE Wanna BeCCIE Wanna Be Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    In Progress:
    WGU B.S. - I.T. - Security (and all the certs that come with it)
  • Options
    What was your percentage on the troubleshooting section on ICND2? Just curious... On my 1CND2, I got percentages in the 30% range in that section but still managed to pass the test...

What i dont get it, how can the troubleshooting on the ICND2 count for a 1/3 of the test but yet require no configuration at all.

I scored 100% in troubleshooting. With Packet Tracer I went through mostly every scenario that could go wrong to prevent convergence. I had a friend sabotage my network and I had to fix it. The old exam DID require configuration, hence why I mentioned the older exam I felt was harder. However configuring OSPF, EIGRP, etc, via Packet Tracer did help me understand what is required for the network to establish full adjacency.
  • Options
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass man! Are you moving onto anything else next?

I'm trying to determine whether to go CCNA Voice and go the voice router of continue with Routing and Switching. I have worked with Call Manager back in the 5.x version days. I can easily turn that into a business to whoever wants a PBX / phone system in their office. Then there's good old CCNP Routing and Switching which is the majority of job postings in Networking require. I'm a bit torn at the moment, but want to jump start my career in Cisco again. The last 6 years I've been working for carriers in core Voice networks (Nortel, Siemens, Sonus), mostly proprietary stuff that you can only get employed by a large carrier.
  • Options
    doctoredoctore Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cisco_kidd20 - could you PM me with info on Packet Tracer you used?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    GRATZ!! hope to join the club soon!
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    doctore wrote: »
    cisco_kidd20 - could you PM me with info on Packet Tracer you used?

If you just do a Google search for Free Student Edition Packet Tracer I believe you can find a free pretty easily.
  • Options
    ^ yea what NetworkNewb said, sorry for not replying sooner!
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats Cisco Kidd
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None