Options

Desktop or Laptop?

Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
I would like gauge how many of you have a desktop or a laptop as your primary computer that you use at home? I am only interested in folks that use their computers primarily for school, labs, certifications, so no gaming rigs which are only used for gaming.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Desktop

Mini Form Factor with 8 GB's of RAM, SSD, 4 GB graphic card and I7 processor.

Custom made the machine, bought the case (cooler master) and ASUS mini system board for 30 dollars. Had a processor from an old machine that was trashed, (it's an older I7 processor). Had the 8 GB of ram. I added a new power supply and a 4 gb graphics card GTX. This thing beast modes for 350 dollars.

*** Work machine is a T440 i5 processor SSD with 8 gbs of ram. (Laptop)
  • Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    Desktop at home, laptop at work.

As powerful as laptops have become, I find they still aren't ideal for running certain applications
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Desktop. Dual display and full size keyboard. Laptops just aren't the same.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Desktop with 2 monitors at home (+ a wireless laptop mini mouse :D) .. Planning to upgrade to 3 x 27" screens "within the next 5 years :D"

Old Lenovo T420 for work.
  • Options
    bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    Desktop.

Want a laptop though so I don't have to be sitting upright all the time. Would be nice to study/lab while laying on the couch :)
  • Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A Lenovo T440P connected to a 23" screen.

I don't have enough room for a Desktop anymore..small table, small room. but it does the job :)
  • Options
    tpasmalltpasmall Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Desktop for working from home/gaming. Laptop for studying. I have TeamViewer installed so if I'm on a secured network I can remote in from my laptop and run applications on my desktop.
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tpasmall wrote: »
    Desktop for working from home/gaming. Laptop for studying. I have TeamViewer installed so if I'm on a secured network I can remote in from my laptop and run applications on my desktop.

Desktop at home, work laptop for just about everything that isn't at my home office desk. Will soon be purchasing a server for the house which will be my new testing and lab workhorse

edit: Galaxy Note 4 is basically a small tablet that I have on me at all times lol
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I've used a laptop exclusively since I sold my desktop back in 2002. Unless you are needing the power to run a big nested VM environment (even then you CAN find laptops to do it) I think it's better to have the portability of a laptop. Keep a monitor/docking station set up on your desk for when you need the extra screen real estate. I know for my security lab (VMs) it's something I can sit on the couch with the wife while we watch TV shows and practice hacking, coding, school work, writing, etc. It's nice to not have to choose between being stuck in the office or getting nothing done.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Desktop 12 actual cores, 12 threads, 18GBs of DDR3 RAM, and dual GPUs driving a 4K monitor. Great for spinning up VMs, and doing virtual labbing, etc. Also doubles for gaming, but mainly built for Pent test labbing and brute forcing hashes/etc.
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    Another desktop user, but could be tempted to replace it with a laptop that could dock into a desktop so I get dual monitors, keyboard, mouse decent sound without plugging in a million things. It would have to be quite a powerful laptop as I have a i7 920 with 48GB of RAM.
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    3 laptops serving various roles, and a Dell 1950 for VMs. I do have two 23" monitors to connect to a laptop if necessary. A newer Vaio laptop, an IBM T42 laptop, and an old Dell running Linux for testing connectivity to Cisco network.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Laptop at work = 2 monitors, dock, kb, mouse, i5, SSD, 16GB Ram

Laptop at home = 2 monitors, kb, mouse, i5, SSD, 16GB Ram

Desktop at home = 2 monitors, Xeon, SSD's, 32GB Ram
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Laptop, multi monitors at work & none at home.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Desktop I own both but I barely turn on the laptop.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I have several of both and they get used pretty equal.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    mweaver84mweaver84 Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just bought a new Surface Pro 3 yesterday. Not the top model but loving it so far. i5, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB SSD. Bought the docking station for it , only run one extra monitor with it right now. Might purchase another monitor soon and run 2 xtra monitors along with the surface...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mweaver84 wrote: »
    Just bought a new Surface Pro 3 yesterday. Not the top model but loving it so far. i5, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB SSD. Bought the docking station for it , only run one extra monitor with it right now. Might purchase another monitor soon and run 2 xtra monitors along with the surface...
    Keep us posted on how it runs the second monitor if you wouldn't mind.
  • Options
    mweaver84mweaver84 Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Will do, my boss actually uses a Surface Pro + 2 external monitors for his computer at work and really likes it. He has the top model Surface though
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Desktop

8 core CPU, 16 GB RAM, Radeon 7870 and 256 SSD.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    15-inch Sager Laptop I bought back in 2013, has been my baby every since.

i7, 16 gigs of DDR3 (Upgradeable to 32gb), 2 slots for mSATA SSDs, (x1 250 gb, x1 500 gb). I have a home docking station that is connected to a 32" monitor, a LED mechanical k/b and LED mouse.

Use for pretty much anything at this point... run labs, CBT Nuggest study materiel, run virtual machines, simulation software and even build a small scale virtual domain. I would invest into a workstation desktop when I am ready to start running an entire VMware network. I forgot to add that I recently upgraded my HDD for a 2 TB.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Desktop at home for most things except reading. Little Lenovo X230 for on the go, or for reading at home. Desktop at work.

I just ordered another laptop, so I'll be doing more things on it, but it's mostly there so I can have access to personal VMs at work, or do gaming/etc in other parts of my apartment instead of just the desk.
  • Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I always find laptops to be somewhat slow. This past Christmas I bought a Lenovo for my mother, don't remember the model but it has 6 GB RAM, 2 GB VRAM and i7, and still it's slower than a desktop with worse specifications.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yzT wrote: »
    I always find laptops to be somewhat slow. This past Christmas I bought a Lenovo for my mother, don't remember the model but it has 6 GB RAM, 2 GB VRAM and i7, and still it's slower than a desktop with worse specifications.
    Stick an SSD in there.

Actual specs are pretty irrelevant to how fast something feels. A 5 year old Core Duo with 4 GB RAM is still perfectly fast for most things (especially internet browsing and the like). It's the typically slow 5400 RPM drive that makes laptops (especially cheap laptops that have a 5400 RPM, non-cached drive) feel extremely clunky.

SSD, and they're suddenly super responsive.

It's just, desktop platter drives, are a lot more responsive and have better seek times, so you wait a lot less to do things like boot up or open a folder.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Laptop all the way, like the portability. Only thing I'd use a desktop for these days is gaming and I'm done with that.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    SmiliesSmilies Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    An old optiplex 320 running a linux distro + a lenovo T400 connected to a 24" lcd for work

And an laptop for home, have a tower but using it for a ftp server.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Desktop:

Corsair 900D
    Corsair H110i All-in-One Cooling
    Intel I7 4770k OC 4.1Ghz
    32 GB DDR 1600
    Storage: 2x3TB 7200 HD Black in RAID
    3x R290 4GB Cards
    1600W Dual PSU
    2 32in BENq LED, 4k Screens.
    Win 7 64 Ultimate
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    iPad followed by laptop which if I included gaming my desktop would be right behind my iPad in usage.
  • Options
    dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    I just bought the Surface Pro 3, i5, 128gb ssd, 4gb ram, keyboard and so far love it! I use an external hdd for extra storage. It replaced my laptop and desktop. I use it for studying and personal use. Mostly MS office. I don't build any virtual environments at home or play games.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My desktop is a dell 7100 with the 6 core amd phenom processor, 16GB of RAM, 256GB SSD and a 2TB 7200 for storage and dual video cards (don't remember exatcly what but they are ATI somethings) Still capable of running everything I need to do without issues. I've gone through several laptops in the 4+ years since I bought the desktop including a Dell, a MBP, a MBA, and now the latest is a Surface Pro 3. The Dell was a beast both in power and size and was difficult to carry around. The MBP was not as powerful, but was much lighter. Ditto with the MBA. My issue has always been that in order to match the power of a desktop, the laptop had to be of comparable size and/or weight. So I started to go with thinner/lighter but less capable. This Surface, however, has so far been able to run everything that I run on my desktop so I may change my vote in a year or so. The only thing I haven't been able to do on the Surface that I can easily do on my desktop is run VMs though that's more of an issue with virtualization implementations on Virtualbox for Windows 8.1. That's getting better though so that might not be an issue for very long.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!