Options

Desktop or Laptop?

2»

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dou2ble wrote: »
    I just bought the Surface Pro 3, i5, 128gb ssd, 4gb ram, keyboard and so far love it! I use an external hdd for extra storage. It replaced my laptop and desktop. I use it for studying and personal use. Mostly MS office. I don't build any virtual environments at home or play games.

I put a microSD card in mine and moved my OneDrive storage to the SD card.
  • Options
    dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I put a microSD card in mine and moved my OneDrive storage to the SD card.

I didn't know you could move OneDrive to that. Thanks for the tip! I'm going to do that.

Here's a review I found useful.
    Surface Pro 3: Why my clamshell laptop is history | ZDNet
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • Options
    HailHogwashHailHogwash Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    philz1982 wrote: »
    Desktop:

Corsair 900D
    Corsair H110i All-in-One Cooling
    Intel I7 4770k OC 4.1Ghz
    32 GB DDR 1600
    Storage: 2x3TB 7200 HD Black in RAID
    3x R290 4GB Cards
    1600W Dual PSU
    2 32in BENq LED, 4k Screens.
    Win 7 64 Ultimate

Just curious..what are you using this beastly system for?
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552

That is a bragging rights system, I have a couple of my own..

:D
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Personally, the laptop wins out for me due to the portability and not always being tied down to a desk to use it. Having a laptop that you can pick up a docking station for is a nice bonus for the times you want to run dual monitors and need to focus on a task without being easily distracted. Laptops have come a long way and for most peoples use they are more than powerful enough to handle most things you can toss at it. If you game or use VM's, of course a desktop is much more preferred.

The Surface Pro 3's are really nice and are pretty robust for how small they are. They are very portable and you can work on them anywhere. Plus the docking stations work great for those times you want to use a dual monitor setup. As far as HDD space, with how cheap external storage is it's not as big of a concern for me anymore.

Work: Dell E7440, dual 27" monitors. Does anything I toss at it and is pretty fast.
    Home: Older Toshiba that we honestly rarely use and is slow/crappy but with having nice work laptops makes little sense to upgrade now. Maybe in a few years when it finally goes out and we realize we need something personal other than tablet/phones.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978

I'm essentially our companies JOAT/Enterprise Architect. So I do developing and I run a **** ton of VM's and large scale prototype testing. Unofficially, it might have something to do with running Arma 3 on Ultra @ 120+fps....
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Hammer80 wrote: »
    I would like gauge how many of you have a desktop or a laptop as your primary computer that you use at home? I am only interested in folks that use their computers primarily for school, labs, certifications, so no gaming rigs which are only used for gaming.

I have a "gaming rig," but only because I like to play games on it. It's a multitasker -- it does it all. I prefer desktops because I work better in a chair with a mouse and keyboard.