Options

A+ Study Resources

tanvir2220tanvir2220 Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
What are the preferred books and study resources for A+ ? How many hours should I study to pass? How difficult is the exam? Please suggest me,folks..

P.S: I am a beginner. Another thing, I appeared for CISA exam but could not clear(got 401). Will my CISA study be helpful in A+ ?

Comments

• Options
    Armitron77Armitron77 Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey tanvir2220,

The Study Resources that I would highly recommend is the All-In-One CompTIA A+ Certification Exam Guide (220-801 & 220-802) 8th Edition by Mike Meyers. This is one of the resources I'm currently using. The other one I'm also using is the ExamCram CompTIA A+ 220-801 and 220-802 6th Edition by David L. Prowse. I have about 13 years experience in troubleshooting, building, and maintaining PC's. Since you are a beginner, I would get the Mike Meyers book and read it very carefully. It will take a while, but you can do it. Set a study schedule for yourself. Try to study between 3 to 5 days a week at 4 to 5 hours a day. Read each chapter and make high lights of what you are reading. Take notes, lots of them and study from them as much as you can. If you can, get a hold of an old computer to get hands on experience. Trust me, hands on will boost your memory and prep you better for the real exam. After reading each chapter, take the practice tests and learn from them. Watch the Professor Messer videos and most importantly, do take days off from studying because you can burn yourself out very easily. I ought to know. I just recently passed the 220-801 exam with a score of 737 out of 900 and it was a lot of work. I am getting myself ready to take the 220-802 exam later this month and hopefully pass and become CompTIA A+ Certified. Therefore, I wish you the best of luck in your studies. Again, take breaks.
    Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer & Network Security
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management/Cyber Security
    CompTIA A+ Certified | CE, CompTIA Network+ Certified | CE

2016 Goals: CCENT/CCNA Routing & Switching COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR/CompTIA Security+ COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    tanvir2220 wrote:
    What are the preferred books and study resources for A+ ? How many hours should I study to pass? How difficult is the exam?

Please read through the forum as this question has been answered numerous times.

References:
    CompTIA objectives - straight from the vendor website
    Mike Meyers "All in One"
    Sybex A+
    Experience

How many hours to study?
    Well, how much experience do you have? The exam is geared toward a candidate with about 500 hours of experience (not board swapping experience only, but actual hands-on troubleshooting), so how much of that do you have? From there, the less you have the more time you will need to study. Up to about 4 weeks of 40 hours a week. Less if you have experience.

The exams are the easiest you will find in your career provided hardware is an area you work with. If it is not, than you may struggle, but they are still the easiest exams because they have the lowest passing score of any IT exam you will take in this realm of exams.

I would begin with the objectives and decide how much time I needed after that point.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?