Options

What are these 2 ports?

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
This may be a stupid question, but what kind of ports are these? I have not worked with fiber, is that what these are?

20150209_220904_zpsfee71f4e.jpg
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fiber optic cabling has three types of (modern) connectors. ST, SC and LC: LC would go into this slot. To get the fiber seated properly, you also need something called a GBIC.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    looks like you have a: Cisco Catalyst 3560-24PS: 24 Ethernet 10/100 ports with PoE and 2 SFP-based Gigabit Ethernet ports
    The SFP-based GE ports accommodate a range of SFP transceivers, including the Cisco 1000BASE-T, 1000BASE-SX, 1000BASE-LX, 1000BASE-ZX, and CWDM SFP transceivers. These ports also support the Cisco Catalyst 3560 SFP Interconnect Cable for establishing a low-cost Gigabit Ethernet point-to-point connection.
  • Options
    I got this cheap, but did not notice that those 2 ports were not standard Ethernet ports. Will this switch still be useful for a CCENT/CCNA lab?
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SFP Modules. There are various SFPs for different types of fiber and gigabit copper. You simply insert the SFP module into the port.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/cwdm-gbic-sfp/72370-sfp-trcvr-mods.html
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    ssnyderu2 wrote: »
    I got this cheap, but did not notice that those 2 ports were not standard Ethernet ports. Will this switch still be useful for a CCENT/CCNA lab?

Absolutely. SFP are standard on 3560/3750 switches. Older (3550) switches used GBICs which were larger, but served the same purpose.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information. I found a few SFP RJ-45 modules on line. Makes my 20$ switch not so cheap now. So now that I know what they are and theodexa said that the switch will still be good for CCNA labs, do I need to populate one or both ports?
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well, you don't need to populate either sfp for ccna labs. just leave them empty. you could populate one with a sfp rj 45 and you can play around with autonegoiating speed and duplex between gigabit and 10/100 ports. but i doubt that will be on the ccna test.
  • Options
    clarson wrote: »
    well, you don't need to populate either sfp for ccna labs. just leave them empty. you could populate one with a sfp rj 45 and you can play around with autonegoiating speed and duplex between gigabit and 10/100 ports. but i doubt that will be on the ccna test.

Then I will leave them empty and worry about those another day.

Thanks again all for clearing this up.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Don't have to put a thing in them, I have a WS-C2950G-EI switch that has the larger version of the same thing in it, have never put anything in those ports as it is not needed to do studies.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    For CCNP, they could be useful for testing UDLD (as UDLD is used on fiber optic interfaces), but otherwise there is no real need to place anything in those slots.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Mmmmmmmmmmm, nice switch.

A good buy, that.
  • Options
    Dark-KnightDark-Knight Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Those SFPs are pretty expensive though...