Which Linux Distro should I download for Study

goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm not studying for a cert. I just want to have general knowledge of linux , BAck in 2008 I remember taking a linux course. The distro we used was Fedora.. or should I just download the most popular version MInt, Ubuntu, ect

I think I answered my own question. The command line is probably the same regardless of which distro I download

but feel free to comment
The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs

Comments

• ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    any Linux would do the work, just pick one. (I would go for CentOS or Debian.)
  • JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    I'm partial to Mint. 17.1 is fantastic.

Do what I'm doing: Download the one you think looks or "feels" better, then move on to Arch when you're feeling more confident.
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't be bothered with researching which Linux would do the work since they will all provide you with the same command line commands with the difference of the default installed packages. if you simply want to learn the Linux CLI then focus on that.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Centos or Debian no Gui command line everything :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends on how much of a masochist you are. If you really hate yourself, you can use Gentoo or Slackware ;) but CentOS and Debian are good starting points. Both are well tested and very stable. I run Fedora on my desktop at home. At work, we run mainly RHEL/CentOS with a few SLES servers thrown into the mix. Whether or not you install a desktop environment like KDE or Gnome, it is important to learn how to function using the CLI. I recommend learning the vi editor as it is installed on every major NIX by default so you never have to install it; plus it is very powerful. Learning how the package managers work from the CLI is also important among other things.

Ultimately, find the distro you feel comfortable using while you are learning. here is a good listing of different distros DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
    Most of all, have fun.

Regards,
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”