Options

Job Outlook

krucial85krucial85 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am an Army officer and I retire next year in January. Last year I passed the Security+ exam and last month I passed the SSCPexam. Next week I will take the CISSP exam. I have some experience in IT as I was in the System Engineering Development Program at EDS (1989-1991) and I worked in system administration and information security for The Associates (1995-2001). I have an A.S. in Computer Science, B.A. in Latin American Studies and an Executive MBA. Does anyone have any idea of the level of job that I can reasonably expect when going back into Information Security and a possible salary range? I live in Texas and would like to work there or at least be based out of Texas.
"The way to succeed is never quit. That's it. But be really humble about it."

Comments

• Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    If you earn a CISSP and have an MBA, I would expect close to six figures (if not more) in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Your experience as an Army Officer is very appealing to potential employers as well. I'm sure some of the members who live in that area could offer you more information.

I think the only thing that might hinder you is your lack of recent experience in security but you're certainly on the right track and well ahead of me in breaking into an Information Security type role.

Good luck
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    krucial85 wrote: »
    I am an Army officer and I retire next year in January. Last year I passed the Security+ exam and last month I passed the SSCPexam. Next week I will take the CISSP exam. I have some experience in IT as I was in the System Engineering Development Program at EDS (1989-1991) and I worked in system administration and information security for The Associates (1995-2001). I have an A.S. in Computer Science, B.A. in Latin American Studies and an Executive MBA. Does anyone have any idea of the level of job that I can reasonably expect when going back into Information Security and a possible salary range? I live in Texas and would like to work there or at least be based out of Texas.

As a fellow officer I say it depends on what rank you are retiring at. Most retired O's I work with that retired a light col or higher grade out at GS-14/15 Level (some SES) in the federal service....Spread of 110-160k a year.

I say if you want to go civilian add another 20-50k on top of that. So maybe 160k range to start with...

But more than likely you are looking at a director role...nothing technical.