Options

Home Lab Connection Problem! Configuration Help needed.

2»

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Make sure the following is enabled:
    Start>>Run>>firewall.cpl>>Advanced Settings>>Inbound Rules>>File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request -ICMPv4-In)
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also, just curious, have you set the exact same setup in Packet Tracer and it doesnt work? Looks like you set it up from the pic, but didn't see if you said it worked on there or not.
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    JeanM wrote: »
    Ugh... does your laptop OS firewall allow ping?

As a quick test, disable windows firewall on the laptop that you can't ping but can ping FROM, and test it again.

This will solve the problem.
  • Options
    sagarmistrysagarmistry Member Posts: 108
    JeanM wrote: »
    Ugh... does your laptop OS firewall allow ping?

As a quick test, disable windows firewall on the laptop that you can't ping but can ping FROM, and test it again.

OMG it worked!

I can ping from the router to the laptop now.

Is there any way to make an exception on my laptop's firewall?
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
  • Options
    Also, just curious, have you set the exact same setup in Packet Tracer and it doesnt work? Looks like you set it up from the pic, but didn't see if you said it worked on there or not.

It was the PC's firewall which was blocking the ping from the router. it works now.
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
  • Options
    d4nz1g wrote: »
    This will solve the problem.

True, it did the trick!! Thank you!
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I assume you are using Windows and a wired connection. Try temporarily disabling the Windows Firewall for "Public" networks" and see if the PING works. Windows has a nasty habit of treating lab networks as "Public" (think public Wi-Fi at a cafe) networks, where you would want to lock things down (No PING replies, No File and Printer Sharing, No Device Discovery, etc...)

Start --> Control Panel --> System and Security --> Windows Firewall --> Turn Windows Firewall On or Off (Left Side of Screen)
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□

I didn't realize there was a second page. Response #32 (Networknewb) shows how to allow PINGs through the firewall. If this is a desktop PC used just in your lab, you could probably just leave the firewall off all together. If it is a laptop that you use to connect to public Wi-Fi hot spots, you will definitely want to leave the firewall on.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    Got it. Will follow that and allow pings through firewall. Thank you !!!
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    OMG it worked!

I can ping from the router to the laptop now.

You are welcome :)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @sagarmistry in your SSH thread firewall was mentioned. And yes you can allow ping through the firewall you just have to configure the firewall correctly. @JeanM good job, You may want to use this as a teaching moment and show why this could not be a switch and router problem.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Based on the information that every other device can ping everything else, I was thinking of 2 possible issues.

1. the end device you are trying to ping does not allow it due to firewall
    2. the router in place had ACL

Since the config did not show any ACLs to allow/deny icmp, I was leaning towards option 1.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.