Options

Failed Test on Monday

biker_dudebiker_dude Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Took the exam on Monday. 7 sims and 70 multiple choice questions. I thought I had passed it when I was done and ended up with a 691. I'm really disappointedicon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    overthetopoverthetop Banned Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear the news. I am not going to ask what you used to study, but I will say that if you bought the D. Gibson book and purchased/looked at the "sample" Simulation questions (on his site) the chances of failing should of been minimal. I know that the exam changes and its been a while since I took it, but I will say his "sample" simulation questions were very very very very very similar to the ones on the exam. So similar I thought I had cheated

I do wish you success in your retake
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear about your results on Monday! Look at your incorrectly answered questions and try to review the domains that you missed.

What study materials did you use? I took the 301 and used Darril's book which made the exam very manageable.

These are the changes from 301 to 401...

CompTIA Security+ SY0-401 vs. SY0-301 Changes - InfoSec Institute

BTW, did you do a review? IMHO, it's imperative to do a full review. I always review every question (time permitting) at least a couple times which - I think - has afforded me few passes instead of fail! Sometimes a couple times through - I pick up on hints to infer what they want you to pick as your BEST answer.

Good luck on your retake and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that you did not pass the exam as you had hoped, but take it as a learning and growing opportunity, and move forward to beat it next time. After failing, your printout will tell you the domains/objectives that you failed to correctly answer questions in, use this to reread/brush up on those areas so that you're better prepared for the next exam. As the others have asked, what materials did you use? were they materials for the same exam? (401 materials for 401 exam, not 301 materials for the 401 exam)
  • Options
    DarkmoriDarkmori Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed with a 705 last week, but it was also 70 questions. Guess the test does not change question too much.

If you are paying for this yourself... I suggest buying the Cert Master Deluxe bundle from Comptia, it gives you access to Cert Master and a voucher and a free re-take for $368 : link is : Save 50% on the CompTIA Security+ Deluxe Bundle. Cert Master should help with about 60% of the questions ( maybe more if you get a different test next time )

It Helps if you have passed Network+ first.

Many of the questions are misleading. So read them carefully. I plan to re-take the test this Friday.
    Work on the Sims for about 1 minute, then mark them and skip ahead, better use of your time. I had almost 30 minutes left to review my answers. ( still failed, think I was second guessing myself ).

Your score of 691 is good, it means you understand many of the concepts, do not give up.
  • Options
    I'm going to retake in about 3 weeks. I used exam cram and I went to a 1 week class that DOD paid for. Too bad they didn't go in to the simulations. I was kind of rushed into it by my supervisor before I was ready.
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    biker_dude wrote: »
    I'm going to retake in about 3 weeks. I used exam cram and I went to a 1 week class that DOD paid for. Too bad they didn't go in to the simulations. I was kind of rushed into it by my supervisor before I was ready.

Good luck!!!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    FastEthernetFastEthernet Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bought the SY0-301 book this time last year, although struggle to find time to study.
    Should I ditch that and get a 401 book?
  • Options
    Others have said they used the 301 to pass the 401. It doesn't appear to be that much new material on the 401. You could always download the exam objectives and find the different material online to study. After having taken the 401 there is at least 90% or more of the material that I studied for the 301 on there.
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, you did well for such a short study time period, so it seems you're pretty close to being ready to pass. I had several sims, and they through me off at the beginning when I took the 401 last week. I've had sims before, but not with so many steps to complete, and I was worried most of the test would be sims, and I'd run out of time. It rattled me at the beginning. Good luck on the next try, but I'd say you're close.
  • Options
    SunShine7SunShine7 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry, to that and I know exactly how you feel. I took 401 last week and failed also, scoring 691 as well. I was truly, devastated. How was your retake? What did you study different? I want to test again next week, but I'm struggling with confidence and what other resources to use to study with. I accomplished CBTnuggets and purchased Darril Gibson's Practice Test Study Guide. I'm just not sure where to go from here if this happens again. Please let me know if your retake was successful and what helped you. Thanks
  • Options
    I still haven't retaken yet. I did get CBT Nuggets to view also. I'm still waiting to get reimbursed for the last test before I take it again.
  • Options
    SunShine7SunShine7 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well good Luck to You! I wish you the best!
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I second Daril Gibson book. very well written.
    i used this to pass test.
    i also didn't rush to take and pass test.
  • Options
    SmiliesSmilies Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Trice on that Darril Gibson book. was expecting it to be boring, but shockingly it was refreshing and entertaining (those Simpson reference got me every time) Just set a study time, like I'm sure you have and you should be good in 3-4weeks time. Don't rush and good luck!
  • Options
    HypnotyzemindsHypnotyzeminds Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed today with a 854 using CBT Nuggets, CertMaster, and Sybex book. I think the most useful tool was Cbt nuggets. I took notes on every subject and reviewed it before the exam.
  • Options
    GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    Keep at it! Failing a test before made me humble. The CBT Nugget 401 series is really good (Keith is great, he does the CCNA videos also). I took the 301 exam before it switched to the 401. I heard it's a beast.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • Options
    emore93emore93 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    FastEthernet

I used the 301 book to pass the 401 test without and problem.
    If I remember correctly I passed with an 850.

You should be fine.
    The Sims are the wild card. You never quite know what they are going to ask.
    It took me 45 minutes from the time I entered the test site till the time I left the building.