Options

Need help with static routes

RavenclawRavenclaw Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I took a break between the exam changes so I have the old ICND1 and am taking the new ICND2 so I am filling the gaps in where I can. I am familiar with static routes and have done simple labs but this one I can not figure out. This lab is completed but even when I look at the routing tables, I am can not understand the routes they are using or the masks between the 3 routers. As always any help is much appreciated. I have attached a link below.

Thanks again

https://jumpshare.com/b/Q2I7SyUuqzIBVsk8k1a9

Comments

• Options
    _Gonzalo__Gonzalo_ Member Posts: 113
    You should ask something... I don´t see what is to understand. I´ll try to give you a general idea of it.

A static route takes you to some destination network through:
    -one of your router´s own interfaces
    -a directly connected IP

And that´s all there is to understand about a static route.

Now, you are confused because the example gives you weird network and masks. The example is quite messy, because some routes are summarized while it some others are not. That is:

a) Wrong
    b) Responds to some undisclosed objective (as always going for the routes with highest mask)

At the end of the day think that, whoever configured the example, defined paths to get to networks as he/she saw fit.
  • Options
    Ok great thanks for the help, I was trying to compare the lab to my resource books. I do have to other quick questions if you don't mind.

Can you explain wild mask ?

what these examples mean - (1.) 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (2.) 0.0.0.0/0 (3.) 0.0.0.0/8 ? I believe 1 and to are equal

in an enterprise environment how common is it to set static routes with routing protocols already in place?

Thanks a lot
  • Options
    tecnodog7tecnodog7 Member Posts: 129
    Ravenclaw wrote: »

what these examples mean - (1.) 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (2.) 0.0.0.0/0 (3.) 0.0.0.0/8 ? I believe 1 and to are equal

Thanks a lot

So the wildcard mask is exactly the opposite of a subnet meaning.
    If i have a wild card that says 10.1.1.0 0.0.0.255 means where ever the 0 is present look at that number specifically, where the 255 is present then doesn't matter what is in that field.

So with your example that is used to set a static router. Where it is says 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (look at exactly what is in the first, second,third froth octet) and then it would prob be followed by 172.2.2.4 ( send it out that interface ) Meaning all the things i doesn't have a route for send it out that interface (assuming it goes out to the ISP)

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 This doesn't make sense to me for we shall wait for the Guru to reply :)
  • Options
    Great thanks for the information I was wandering about that.
  • Options
    _Gonzalo__Gonzalo_ Member Posts: 113

Wildcard is also known as inverse mask. Just a different way of defining a mask. In binary, change 0 for 1 and 1 for 0. There is a "trick" that goes:

- mask
    wildcard

Anyway, you´ll end up knowing them by heart, as with masks.

I assume that the first one is a mask. If so, the first two are equal: any network. The third makes no sense.
    in an enterprise environment how common is it to set static routes with routing protocols already in place?

I´m more of a theory freak by now, and I´m afraid I don´t have much working experience... But I believe that static routes are not really useful (leaving the default route aside, of course)