Options

CCIE Chapter 2: Data Center

gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
DC thread ho! I am picking up DC and VMware VCP-NV simultaneously for the time being will spend some hours on one and some on the other whilst I am gathering information and coming up with a strategy for each exam. Obviously the DC lab is the bigger and badder of both goals, and already I will face some very interesting logistical challenges that will factor into my strategy and approach to the lab, but here I am. Whilst I am still in the position to study a lot, then DC is what I will ultimately aim for, and the VCP-NV to go with that I think is a very nice combination indeed.

A feather in the DC cap, so to speak.

Here's to it. This thread will be my blog for CCIE: DC and then my thread over in Virtualisation will be where I document my VCP-NV approach. I am putting 12 months as a target for the CCIE: DC initially, and luckily I can take the lab remotely (London) - so I already know my actual lab day approach.

Comments

• Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    Good luck man! Do you have an idea which major subject you will tackle first in the DC (storage, networking, server)?
  • Options
    Well it is certainly going to be an interesting exam. Switching makes a lot of sense given that would be comparatively my strongest subject, and arguably the core of the actual network itself. I was a Server Administrator for a long time and still work with servers daily at home on my ESX server, so I will squarely count this as my 2nd strongest subject, leaving Storage. I know very little - so I think that is how I will approach the topics, i.e. Switching first, Servers second, Storage third.

Quite handy then that I'm on the DCNX7K course this very week, so I've already received a very good high level overview of most of the Nexus-centric features such as FabricPath, OTV, LISP, vPC/+ etc...

EDIT: I suppose I could count the hours in lectures and lab as my first hours on the clock? Why not ;)

EDIT 2: Yes, yes I will. (counted for the week)
  • Options
    The INE videos aren't too bad for the storage configuration; i've used them a few times for stuff like NPIV. But yeah similar to you, storage would be my weakest of the three areas.
  • Options
    I shall check those out! There's a number of books around now and umpteen links online, so I can start gathering those - and also DocCD take #2. :D
  • Options
    Could a mod kindly pin this post? And any other CCIE diary we've got going at the moment, there are a few! (You could also unpin my R&S thread now as I'm done with it)
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow man, that is an awesome combination to pursue! I haven't heard too much about the NV, but the DC track will be exciting I'm sure!
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    I will just leave this here: NX-OS software architecture. Very helpful.

[HTML]http://d2zmdbbm9feqrf.cloudfront.net/2014/usa/pdf/BRKARC-3471.pdf[/HTML]
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Good luck in your endeavors gorebrush!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Not much to report today. Tried to do some initial research into DC/VCP and didn't get far. Back to work today for the first day in 5 weeks - man that was hard going. In other news, parts of my lab are now going which I am pleased about as this means two things: -

1. Incoming funds for further lab purchases.
    2. Freeing up space and moving on equipment I don't have a use for anymore.
  • Options
    Change of plans - I shall be here and will forget about VMware for the time being.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should look into signing up for the Stanly class, just to get the class requirement out of the way still.

I'm not actively studying for it, but I did enough to pass the class for now, with plans to do it after my (successful!) lab attempt sometime over the summer.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Nice. Good luck. Hope you're enjoying the studies so far. What books have you read or are on your list to read?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You can use the CCNP/CCNA - VCP-NV setup to get out of class requirement for any VCP. Check out the threads in the virtualizaiton forum.
  • Options
    So far I am pretty much Day 1 with CCIE: DC - I had the 5 day Configuring Nexus 7K course which covered most of the Nexus centric features, like FabricPath, OTV etc, etc. I've got some books but nothing read yet - but have done some various bits and bobs with supporting them here at work so I am hoping to get cracking with this as soon as.
  • Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Who did you go with for the DCNX7K course? I'm scheduled for the DCNX7K course end of next month in DC with Global Knowledge. I'm really looking forward to it.
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Options
    Fast Lane training did the course over here in London. Another CCIE took the course, really nice guy.
  • Options
    I read the whole reading list and I'll tell you right now: Most of the books were pretty bad or just a waste of time. I would highly recommend only reading the following:
    - Data Center Virtualization Fundamentals
    - NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching
    - Cisco Storage Networking Cookbook

You'll find the recommended UCS book massively out of date, the SAN book is dry and either INE or IPExpert goes into way more detail than the book, and Data Center Fundamentals is really out of date. I regret wasting my time reading the whole list and not focusing on the books people recommended. Also, SteveO has a great list of config guides and best practice/design guides on his blog. Definitely read those - even after knowing how to configure things, I got some great tidbits and time savers from those.

Anyways, good luck :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Thanks for the headsup! I'll get those, though I know I have the 2nd book already.
  • Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea totally, as I was going through the list the other night and was a bit overwhelmed at the reading list I need to hit.
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Options
    Heh, that doesn't scare me :D
  • Options
    @Ninjaturtle - look at any other CCIE track's reading list. I think every other track is 3-10 times longer
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    There is a lot of overlap in the R&S and SP reading list as well. For example, you don't need to read the BGP introduction and peering basics in both Routing TCP/IP vol2 and Internet Routing Architectures.
  • Options
    The reading list isn't the end of it though - There are RFC's galore that really need reading as well :)
  • Options
    I read the whole reading list and I'll tell you right now: Most of the books were pretty bad or just a waste of time. I would highly recommend only reading the following:
    - Data Center Virtualization Fundamentals
    - NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching
    - Cisco Storage Networking Cookbook

So I ordered the other two books I didn't have before. :D
  • Options
    So studies a bit slow lately - been getting used to the work routine again after 5 weeks out (Nice break though) - at the moment I'm not working too hard on studies as I've got some other things to attend to outside of work/study so will just do bits and pieces where I can for the time being. No rush really as I'm in my current role for the foreseeable.