Options

General advice on starting a career in the IT field?

InsomniaaInsomniaa Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, although this is my first post on the forums I have been snooping around unregistered for a while now. I was just hoping to get bit advice as to what I should do to really get my foot in the door. First off, I'll give bit of background:

I've been interested in pen testing since around the age of 16 and that is when I first started my 'learning'. It wasn't anything serious and for the most part just curiosity that struck me. Skipping ahead, at the age of 18 is when I started to get a bit more motivated towards the IT field. I bought three Mike Meyers CompTIA exam guides which were for A+, Network+, and Security+. My plan at the time was to go for A+ then Net+, followed by Security+.

I self studied for maybe a couple months, if that, and slowly drifted away from studying because of 'life' getting in the way. After taking a break per say, I came across a groupon sale for a CCNA, Security+ and CEH self paced training courses. It was $99 and the course itself is advertised as $1900. I didn't know whether the training was really worth $1900 but I figured $99 for any training that was at least mediocre was worth it.

So here I am about half way through the course and just trying to figure out what I should really be stressing about right now. I've come to realize that a lot of information in the courses are hard for me to understand as I have not mastered network+ or security+.

My plan as of now is to run through all of the courses and learn as much information as possible. After finishing the courses and developing a general understanding of CCNA I decided it would be best to go back to Network+ and study hardcore maybe a couple weeks for that cert. After hopefully acquiring the Network+ cert I planned on doing the same method with Security+. I feel that if I got those two certs it would be easier for me to understand CCNA and study CCNA information over again; going back to CCNA, possibly retaking all of the courses I payed for all over again as well as free study guides online and a couple books to not only learn the information but to fully understand it as well.

Ultimately, my goal is to get the Network+ cert, security+ cert, CCNA cert, followed by the CEH cert respectively. After obtaining those certs I would hope to easily get at least some sort of Help Desk job but preferably a job as a Network Analyst. Is this plausible with absolutely no college and no direct IT work experience? I figured it would be tough which is why I'm totally fine with resorting to a help desk position.

Just trying to see if I'm on the right track and what YOU would do if it was you. Any advice is appreciated! I know I typed a bunch but I enjoy typing and being thorough... Thanks guys!

Link to the courses I'm taking:

http://www.learnsmartsystems.com/catalogs/it_security_practitioner_ethical_hacker/#

Comments

• Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    TBH, at 19, I would actually suggest you do an Associate's Degree at least. It will help you find your methods of studying, and guide you through entry-level IT. This will make your certs look more valuable and help uncomplicate CCNA and give you some guidance.

Network Analyst from no experience and no degree is impossible IMO. You're only 19, you've got time. I would suggest going for A+ and Net+ first since you are finding CCNA hard. You have to also learn how to self-study. This takes time. For me, a lot of labs and hands-on was how I learned best.

Experience is a MUST in the IT field. You have several routes you could take, for example, getting your A+ and starting to study for Net+ while looking for an entry-level job would be something. Working part-time + studying or if you are good, full time + studying is a great way to build your CV/Resume. Once you have Net+, you could skip to CCNA before going to Sec+ if you want.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unless in your area you see a ton of jobs asking for the S+, I'd honestly skip it for now.

Do these CCNA courses focus on both ICND1 and ICND2 or just ICND2? I'd recommend focusing on the CCENT at first. If I went straight to CCNA concepts without that step, I'd be lost too. The N+ is much more broad as it is vendor neutral, but I'd try to see how well just ICND1 feels to you first. I've taken both and while I thought the N+ was beneficial, I may have been able to skip it and go straight to the CCENT/ICND1. It's also cheaper.

What are you using to lab? I would have been screwed if I didn't have Packet Tracer. I'd recommend getting that program as it emulates switches and routers pretty well.

After you get your CCENT, I'd start applying at NOC jobs while trying to get your CCNA. I'd hold off on focusing on security right now. That is an advanced level position and you really just want to get your foot in the door.
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd start with the A+. That cert gives you a intro level look into IT and will allow you to spend time thinking about what field you want to go into. That way if you wind up not liking IT you can walk away without a lot of money invested.

Lets assume you will stick with IT after the A+. After achieving that cert, you'll be able to get a pt/ft job while in school. Get some experience and then you can do your M$, Cisco, what have you. Don't spend all your money on certs without some experience and without knowing how where the cert will help you. Certs help you but they wont make you unless we are talking CCIE... Hopefully at that level, you'll have it all figured out lol

Best of luck and keep us posted :D
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would listen to Nersesian and as he said go.....
  • Options
    InsomniaaInsomniaa Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the help/advice everyone.

I just finished a skype interview for a help desk analyst position in Dallas which I thought went great and he said he would do a follow up interview with me 'sooner than later'. I had a lot in common with the guy that interviewed me which was a plus. Hopefully I can get a job there and then start with the net+ cert. I really feel as if I can skip the A+ cert but if I HAVE to get it than I will.