Options

WGU Question: Getting a new Student Mentor!

earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
Good day to everyone! Hope all is well out there!

As the title depicts, I am highly considering getting a new student mentor. Why? Let me tell you my experience a few weeks into my first term...

Note that aside from the situation with my current SM, I am so far LOVING WGU! Couldn't be any more excited!

As for my background I have been working in IT for almost three years and already have my A+ and N+ as well as my associates in Information Technology. I also have spent the past year (while finishing my degree and getting my certs) stalking forums and extracting as much information from students as possible to get a fair idea of what I was getting into. This will help to see where I am coming from and that I am not someone who is coming into this school blindly.

The breakdown:

During the first call with my SM, I basically reiterated to her that I plan to utilizie my own study sources when it comes to the certification courses in my degree (BSIT:Security) and some of the WGU courses as well. If I needed any additional resources for the course, I would gladly utilize WGU's, then proceed from there. Little did I realize that my SM simply wanted to do things her way...

First sign that this wasn't going to "work out" was the fact that I wanted my courses laid out a very specific way, all of which were exactly at or exceeding 12 CU a term. Of course I didn't request anything "crazy" (as they see it) like the CCNA, tech writing or capstone courses in my first term. I am actually very reasonable and "know better". She completley ignored me and my request(s). She made her "proposal plan" for my first semester and kept presisting that I use it. After I attempted to reason with her several times she still insisted on her way...making me feel like I have no choice in making my own path at WGU. So of course I took it and went along. Bad decision.

Side Note: She also mentioned that she needed "approval" from her manager for what I wanted to do, however I feel as if that was a "load-of-bull" if you will. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I am right. Please let me know if SM's need approval for term related student inquiries / suggestions.

Second incident(s) was/is simply the calls. I honestly feel like I am wasting time out of my day. Seriously. The calls are nothing short of awkward and pointless and she asks the same questions over and over. I have heard better experiences with these calls and I have heard nightmares as well. I feel as if I'm in the latter. It also seems like she forgets what we talked about in previous calls... Also when I try to ask her more info about the upcoming changes to the degree plan, she ignores my questions and also doesn't seem knowledgeable in regards to the question. Note that last week was the WGU administrative week regarding the changes to my specific course and others as well.

Last but not least involves my last call, which was yesterday. My current class is the Security+ course. I have been studying for that class over the past 6 weeks, essentially way before I started at WGU. I have been using sources like Darill Gibson's S+ book, his practice exam app for android (very useful) and Pearson/Transcender (outside WGU) practice tests as well. Like I said above, I told her multiple times that I utilize my own resources first and any resourses WGU provides I will use as needed.

During this call, she proceeds to tell me that she wants me to NOT use my resources and spend 8 more weeks doing all of the courses materials. I asked her a simple question: "How can I access my pre-assesment when I feel as if I'm ready? The links / flow of the course seems off and doesn't direct me to the link." She didn't answer my question at all. I had to play "dumb" during the call because it seems like I couldn't get a legitimate answer or help without doing so and even then, I still ended the call confused as hell, but I eventually found it...

Needless to say, I feel trapped and as if I cannot progress with this SM at all.

So what do I do to remedy this situation? Does anyone have a recommendation as far as student mentors and how to change to a new one? Mind you, this IS my first term however I strongly feel that if I don't switch to a SM to fit my "style" I will eventually be frustrated throughout my entire degree, feeling as if I can't progress. I shouldn't have my SM "hold my hand" the entire time. I am determined to progress at a well above average rate while retaining the knowledge needed for my future job/career.

I hope to get a SM who is open about vouchers whenever I request them and is a straight shooter. No BS or hand holding, period.

Also as a side question, are pre-assesments required to take the voucher and genED exams? I'm just curious, that's all.

Thank you so much for reading, I appreciate any and all responses!
WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019

Comments

• Options
    xmalachi wrote: »
    I would say that the fit is never going to work. I think that you should request a new student mentor. I get worried that I will find myself in this situation as well. Did you share your background with your SM? One thing to keep in mind is that you probably aren't like many students that WGU gets. I'm sure that some of these SMs have a hard time with students who are struggling to complete their 12 CUs, not bothering to answer the calls, etc. They probably fall into the mentality that they must baby everyone to push them along. In the end, I think it's best that you try again and see if you can find a SM that meshes better with your personality and your goals at WGU. Ultimately, I believe that they want their students to be happy, after all you're their advocate in the end when it comes to whether or not you'd suggest them to your peers, forums, etc.

Edit: Another consideration from the flip side, maybe you haven't established enough of a rapport with your mentor yet for them to realize that your methodology is going to work for you. If they are inhibiting your progress though, that's your time and money wasted.

Pertaining to your edit portion:

Yes! I am so glad you mentioned that because I was surely thinking that during the typing of this post. Maybe I haven't shown her / proven to her that I am NOT her typical student. Of course on the flip side; I don't want them to think that her methodologies of "handling me" would work, thus the continuation of her mentoring process on me.

It really is an odd situation because she is a very sweet woman. I did a bit of a internet search " background check" and did discover that she is VERY new to the mentoring program as well, which leads me to believe that this may continue even if I blow through 12 CU in 1.5 months (which is the plan that I am definitely on track with from a external studying perspective). She probably has never had a REALLY driven student before because from what she has told me, she doesn't exactly have the most driven students...

Last call we were on she stated that I "made her day" when I emailed her saying that I will be late to her call due to my teaching a few customers unexpectedly.

I am just now remembering this...

Interesting situation indeed icon_study.gif
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, your student mentor sounds like the exact opposite of mine. I went in with an A.S. from a different school and about 18 months of experience under my belt, but my mentor has been nothing but helpful with me. He's even recommended that I breeze through some of the easier courses since I already have experience in those areas. We both work together to pick my classes...he makes suggestions, but never forces me to take what he thinks I should take, and he certainly doesn't force me to study the WGU resources. He only care that I pass the classes.

We still do the weekly calls, but they take <5 minutes. He basically asks how I'm doing, where I'm at with whichever class I'm working on, and then wraps up the call.

Sounds like you need a new mentor.
  • Options
    Thank you for your input!

Right now I am at a deep crossroads. I do want to knock out these 12 CU and prove to her that I am not her average student. On the other hand, I just want to not have to deal with this situation and get a SM who is pretty much like yours. I don't know what to do at this point except study and collect more opinions in regards to this matter.
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get a new one.

I thought the mentors were worthless, I basically kept my mouth shut during our call then did what I wanted. I did all the classes in the order I wanted to. I studied how I wanted to. I bugged the mentor when I needed to take a pre-assessment or assessment. I saw the mentor as a roadblock, not a... mentor. But, I also kicked butt and finished my degree in less than two years.

PS: I also hated the calls for a long time I missed every other one and just sent in an email. If any of you got an email saying they were changing their call policies to be more strict it was probably because of me. It pissed me off that it was on online university and they barely know how to work email. It was supposed to work around my schedule. I email my boss status reports, I don't call him with it. I'm at work when they wanted to chat. /endrant
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    matai wrote: »
    Get a new one.

I thought the mentors were worthless, I basically kept my mouth shut during our call then did what I wanted. I did all the classes in the order I wanted to. I studied how I wanted to. I bugged the mentor when I needed to take a pre-assessment or assessment. I saw the mentor as a roadblock, not a... mentor. But, I also kicked butt and finished my degree in less than two years.

PS: I also hated the calls for a long time I missed every other one and just sent in an email. If any of you got an email saying they were changing their call policies to be more strict it was probably because of me. It pissed me off that it was on online university and they barely know how to work email. It was supposed to work around my schedule. I email my boss status reports, I don't call him with it. I'm at work when they wanted to chat. /endrant

Indeed.

I understand that this is how you delt with your mentor and that is understandable however I want to avoid jumping through hoops and mountains.

I think I will knock out this term in the next few weeks and have a nice talk with my SM and see what she is like at that point.

My only hope is that I don't regret taking this "risk". I understand they have their policies and ways of doing things however its very awkward when a student like me is in this situation...
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    earon49, sorry to hear about your SM experience, I start the same degree plan next month and should get an SM shortly... I hope I have better luck, because my first month, I want to tackle the CCNA and CCNA:Sec, and you mentioned that was a bit crazy... I hope my SM doesn't see it that way. I'm currently studying for the CCENT, and plan to knock it out before I start in March, so CCNA and CCNA:Sec will build and overlap on the basics I pickup from my CCENT studies, and I'd like to tackle them before tackling the other basic courses.
  • Options
    H3||scr3am wrote: »
    earon49, sorry to hear about your SM experience, I start the same degree plan next month and should get an SM shortly... I hope I have better luck, because my first month, I want to tackle the CCNA and CCNA:Sec, and you mentioned that was a bit crazy... I hope my SM doesn't see it that way. I'm currently studying for the CCENT, and plan to knock it out before I start in March, so CCNA and CCNA:Sec will build and overlap on the basics I pickup from my CCENT studies, and I'd like to tackle them before tackling the other basic courses.

I wish the best for you.

Don't get me wrong, I do tip my hat to and fully approve of the mentor program however in my situation and MANY other WGU students/alumni before me, it sometimes doesn't work out with the initial SM. Part of me feels "bad" for wanting to replace my SM because she is doing what she knows/trying, however its one of those situations in which my deepest intuitions/gut feelings are telling me to do so.

Judging by your certifications (what you're transferring in), it would be CRAZY if your SM doesn't allow you to get into the CCENT/CCNA/CCNA:Sec classes. Absolutely crazy. in fact. Be sure to let your SM know what/where you are at and what your plans are. Hopefully he/she listens and is reasonable.

I have heard that the CCNA and CCNA:Sec are considered advanced courses therefore, new students (who just started/haven't proven their "worth" like me) are less likely to be enrolled into those classes by SM's. That's what I have heard and been told by my SM when I inquired about it. That's why I said it was "crazy", because the SM's/program directors have "deemed" it so per WGU standards. Don't get me wrong, the CCNA/CCNA:Sec is beefy and challenging but its not a certification that requires you to light the Beacons of Minas Tirith. It is definitely doable/passable.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'll let you know how it goes :D

BTW: you should be done ORA1 by now (I just finished it myself) :p your signature needs updating :p
  • Options
    H3||scr3am wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll let you know how it goes :D

BTW: you should be done ORA1 by now (I just finished it myself) :p your signature needs updating :p

Thank you! Hahah! I also need to shuffle and update the rest of my CU in progress since I have been "given" a slightly different set of courses.
  • Options
    OzdreamOzdream Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    matai wrote: »
    Get a new one.

Hi matai, sorry for going off topic. I read a post by you on Nutanix certification. Would you please check the post ? I have some questions asked there. Your help is much appreciated. I wanted to PM you but could not figure out how I can do it. Thanks!!
  • Options
    Update:

After speaking with my student mentor for about 30 minutes today, I have finally made the decision to part ways with her.

Short Story/Reason:
    I scored a 91% (above) in my current class' (security+) pre-assessment. Not only did I pass that pre-assessment, but I also decided to take (and pass) one of my other class' pre-assessment (the new Intro to IT).

Piggybacking from what I said at the start of this thread, was under the impression by my SM that once I pass my pre-assessments that I would be granted my vouchers and given assessment test dates to choose from immediately. This was not the case in her eyes.

I held my questions and inquiries till my mentor called me for our weekly chat. My SM stated that she wanted me to do ALL of the WGU material from BOTH classes even though I scored way above the required scores.. I tried to reason with her and even tried to see what her thought process was in regards to not granting me permission to do any of my assessments. Her answers and "reasons" were nothing less than poor and empty. She once again, didn't listen to me and completely disregarded what I had to say with nothing but "Ohhhhhhhh's" and "Mhmmmmm's". It was later revealed to me that she had alternate motives aside from her feeling I wasn't and I quote "ready" for the assessments. I wont go into details with that. That was my last straw.

After I ended that call I consulted with my wife and other WGU students in regards to this matter (aside from this forum) and told them the specific details of what transpired in that call.

I discovered that some, if not most WGU students' SM's don't require them use WGU's study materials/coursework and at the very LEAST, require a pre-assessment score. Of course if I choose to use WGU's materials then I will do so, otherwise I will continue to use my methods of studying these classes. I should NOT be forced or have my hand held. I understand she is trying to help but she still doesn't see the big picture and still doesn't get it.

I am thankful for all the words of wisdom everyone has given me in regards to this situation. I will post updates in this thread with hopes that whoever is (or will be) in my situation can refer to this and have hope.
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    I have nothing but good things to say about my student mentor. She has provided some very good sources outside of WGU's material.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    Update!

Excellent news!

I received a new SM per the WGU program director (who is awesome, btw). I can already tell this is going to be an awesome fit, I am very excited! Oh, I also was able to schedule my S+ exam for today (which I passed) and my Intro to IT (new IT Class) assessment for next Friday.

Super excited to get the chains going and getting things done!
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Congrats on achieving Security+!
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nice move, all legit reasons for getting a new mentor. Everyone doesn't always get along with everyone else. Mine was good, he stayed out of my way and opened up whatever courses I wanted when I asked, very helpful in allowing me to graduate quickly. He was a little doubtful the first week but when I blew through a couple basic IT classes quickly he changed his tune and let me do whatever, just needed to see it wasn't all just talk.
  • Options
    Glad to see that you've removed that roadblock from your way :D I hope this new mentor gets you on the path you want to take :D
  • Options
    CaiyenneCaiyenne Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on getting Security+. This thread is helpful for me as I will be starting at WGU April 1st and I'm interested in other students experiences.
  • Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I kinda feel your pain, honestly I am tempted to get a new mentor, just afraid the new one might be worse. icon_sad.gif

She has been good from the standpoint of mostly staying out of my way once I breezed through the first 12 hours in the first month. Trying to complete 29 by months end.
  • Options
    rcsoar4fun wrote: »
    I kinda feel your pain, honestly I am tempted to get a new mentor, just afraid the new one might be worse. icon_sad.gif

She has been good from the standpoint of mostly staying out of my way once I breezed through the first 12 hours in the first month. Trying to complete 29 by months end.

If I may ask...

If she is staying out of your way / if you already proved yourself than what is the problem? :)
  • Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    earonw49 wrote: »
    If I may ask...

If she is staying out of your way / if you already proved yourself than what is the problem? :)

Ha ha, fair question and good point. Just lacking in a few areas, like having no idea about the material and some of the certifications.
  • Options
    rcsoar4fun wrote: »
    Ha ha, fair question and good point. Just lacking in a few areas, like having no idea about the material and some of the certifications.

Ah! I gotcha.

To be honest there are some SM's who know the IT programs like the back of their hands and other's who simply have no clue. It's just kind of those things you have to roll with. As long as she isn't inhibiting you from progressing at your pace, then you should be good.