Options

Been studying for 3 months Still dont feel ready

WitchdocWitchdoc Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Currently i am System admin for the government so i need this cert for admin privileges, I have been studying security plus for 3 months now and still don't feel ready for the test i also took it last year the 301 test and missed it by 2 questions after a 2 week boot camp.

I first used certmaster then the Comptia security plus book by emmett dulaney and chuck easttom now i am using Darryl Gibson book and website. But i don't feel ready at all for the test and i struggle on test in general i am more a hands on learner then a book learner an too be honest i don't know to study from a book. Any advice you got for studying and test prep would be a great help. thanks

Comments

• Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you don't feel ready, don't take it. Take another two weeks and review what you think you're having trouble grasping. I found Darryl's practice exam and book to be very useful. To be honest, I really don't think the test was that bad. Good luck :)
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    Jency83Jency83 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Make sure you won't "overstudy". Based on what you have mentioned I am a bit afraid you already have. Try to watch some videos, Professor Messer's youtube channel or CBT nuggets by Keith Baker, both were great.
  • Options
    overthetopoverthetop Banned Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You will hear that most lets say about 90% or more have used the D. Gibson book and passed. I used that book and the practice exam questions (on the site) and passed. What I will say is you won't find a post where someone said they watched a video series and video series only and passed, but you will find people who said that had the book and passed and used the book only, if that tells you anything. Use what you are comfortable with, thats my best answer
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First I have not taken the exam. However it was suggested to me that knowing the vocabulary was a big part of the test.

As for studying. I can only say what has worked for me.
    1 - Don't worry about understanding everything the first time. Read a book from start to finish as quickly as you can to get an overview.
    2 - Read a second book but this time make sure to understand everything you are reading.
    3 - Take a practice test.
    Keep a blank piece of paper and pen with you.
    Write down every topic that you don't understand from the question or the answer.
    This is an easy way to figure out the things you won't remember at exam time either.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Maybe this will help to...

-Know how to explain all of the technical stuff to someone who doesn't know anything about it....
    -Focus on the stuff that you don't really know about.

When I was studying for the A+, I read the AIO maybe more than five times. After that, I would think about how I would explain the technical things to non-technical people. If I couldn't do that, I would go back and re-read the topics I couldn't do it for. I did fail the first test but I spent two weeks studying for it, passed and then soon after that I took the second part and passed.

I did fail the Sec+ the first time. Got D. Gibson's book and then passed. I focused on the things that I didn't know well. His book is awesome!
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Quick tips on exam taking.

Your probably about there with the knowledge absorbing but unsure about the exam. You know the material but not sure what to expect, right?

Taking a post-school or commercial exam is a bit different. More you test the better you get at taking these. Think of it as a very long journey that never reaches the destination. Meaning that chances are this won't be your last cert exam in your career. Side note: Ever wish you could just take a practice exam like a college audit? Just to get the experience as to where your going to take an exam, the check-in process, the HVAC conditions, etc? Yeah, I'll suggest that to Prometric, etc.

Learn how to take a psychometric exam. Yeah, I know how to take an exam. These are poorly worded to mislead you, allow you to fail because of goofy wording, etc. There are sites available to help you learn the techniques and how to recognize them. Eliminate at least 50% of the answers. Read the question at least twice. Usually one question is just flat out wrong. Any question that has two answers that are very close together is probably a 50% question. Longest answer is usually the right answer. All those little retorts - all work.

I do it all wrong by reading the answers first then look at the question. Chances are I will be right but this is HIGHLY discouraged. Its easy to miss something or come to the wrong conclusion, because "you know better than the test". You don't but it works well for me. icon_redface.gif

So study up till you are close to both overstudying and sick enough of the course work where taking the test is appealing just so you no longer have to look at any more material. After that? Give yourself a day or two off and try not to read any technical material related to the test. Two reasons. Your mind needs the rest to recover. Second, you'll tend to second guess yourself even if you got the results right away. Old days you may had to wait for many weeks for results.

Besides, you want a decent break and a beer or other adult beverage of your choice.

- beads
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the help, i am starting to do better on the gcgapremium.com site. I do think i need to slow down on the question like Beads said. i am going to go over all the chapters again just to be sure an take the exam. Beads do you have any sites you recommend
    thanks for the help
    Witchdoc
  • Options
    chanttchantt Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Review the objectives and highlight everything you don't feel comfortable explaining. Go through Gibson's book and search the terms.

Check out professormesser's free videos though I personally prefer Keith Barker's SY0-401 video series on cbtnuggets.com.
    Studying for the 200-101 ICND2 exam. Shooting for early June.
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    beads is spot on.

Make sure you read the whole question from beginning to end - especially with Microsoft exams, they will give you a lot of useless information that is not relevant to the actual question that they prompt you with at the end of the scenario description. While this isn't a Microsoft exam, the principle is still applicable - make sure you understand exactly what the question is asking you.

For difficult concepts, consider writing out the definition for something in your own words. So when someone says asymmetric or symmetric cryptography, forget how it's worded in the book - how do you explain it in your words?

Last, take a look at the exam objectives - make sure you understand what you will be tested on, and take relevant notes in those areas.

With regards to practice tests, I have used Kaplan IT's SelfTestSoftware for several of the exams I've taken and it has been very helpful.
  • Options
    ricwoodardricwoodard Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To reinforce some of the other users who mentioned Gibson's books... I just read through the SSCP AIO by Darril Gibson and passed. His book was my only resource for the exam. I would highly recommend you grab his Sec+ book if you still don't feel you understand the concepts. He's a fantastic author.
  • Options
    MDCaseyMDCasey Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with what several others have said about not taking the exam if you do not feel you are ready. The deflated enthusiasm from a failed test will do far more harm than delaying your exam a week or two. In the mean time, it sounds like there are a few things you can do to make yourself feel more comfortable.

In my experience, the single biggest reason people either aren't ready or *feel* that they're not ready for an exam is a lack of practice. It's most valuable to read a book, because that is the source material, but it doesn't exactly help you prepare for the experience of the test itself. For that reason, I strongly recommend that you find and take as many simulated practice exams as you can. Sample questions help, but nothing boosts your confidence like a simulated exam.

A lot of places charge for practice tests, but there are a few sites that offer them for free:

- Security Plus Test - Study Master
    - Skillset.com | Security+ Certification Practice Test
    - Security+ SY0-301 Practice Quiz | GoCertify

Full disclosure: I actually helped build the middle one, but we work hard to maintain a totally free site that helps people gain certifications, and I don't want to not mention it!
  • Options
    been taking a practice exam from Boson the lowest i got was 750 and the highest was 820 somthing, Am i ready or is boson easer then the real test ?
  • Options
    Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I haven't taken Boson practice exams, but I was taking Darrils practice exams and was getting 90s on it, and it was pretty close to the real thing. Kinda scared me when I took the exam.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    5ekurity wrote: »
    beads is spot on.

Make sure you read the whole question from beginning to end - especially with Microsoft exams, they will give you a lot of useless information that is not relevant to the actual question that they prompt you with at the end of the scenario description. While this isn't a Microsoft exam, the principle is still applicable - make sure you understand exactly what the question is asking you.

For difficult concepts, consider writing out the definition for something in your own words. So when someone says asymmetric or symmetric cryptography, forget how it's worded in the book - how do you explain it in your words?

Last, take a look at the exam objectives - make sure you understand what you will be tested on, and take relevant notes in those areas.

With regards to practice tests, I have used Kaplan IT's SelfTestSoftware for several of the exams I've taken and it has been very helpful.

Please don't forget to pass on a little positive karma for the post, thanks!

- b/eads
  • Options
    kevluck373kevluck373 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    Please don't forget to pass on a little positive karma for the post, thanks!

- b/eads

Has anyone used proprofs.com? I've been studying w/ Darrell Gibson & CertMaster & do fairly well, but I just started w/ prpprofs & the questions are very hard; so far at least.icon_rolleyes.gif