Options

Help me choose.

EricOEricO Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am about to finish my associates degree. With credit for my certifications, I should have around 85 hours this time next year. I have to schedule all of my school in the evening, since I work a day job and help raise two kids. The local school has an adult education program, but it only offers a B.S. in Business Management. The other local option online is a B.S. in telecommunications management. I would really like a degree with a little bit more of an IT specialization. I stumbled on this. I really don't know anything about this university, and I was wondering if anyone could provide a little guidance or even an opinion.

I currently make a decent living as a manufacturing systems analyst, but I would like continue my education. Work will pay for all of my tuition so I really just need to pick something and focus on it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    jaeusmjaeusm Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you want to be a software engineer, the following link has more information about online degree programs in that field.
    http://www.worldwidelearn.com/engineering-degree/software-engineering-degree.htm

Colorado Technical University is probably a fine place to pursue a degree. Check out a few other schools and then make your decision
  • Options
    Thank you for the link. There's quite a bit of information there.
  • Options
    int80hint80h Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jaeusm wrote:
    Colorado Technical University is probably a fine place to pursue a degree.

I would disagree:
    wrote:
    Colorado Tech Online is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Institutions of Higher Learning.

If you going to get into engineering, you want the school to be accredited by ABET.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    I recommend against CTU for InfoSec. Their program was basically a warmed-over Project Management curriculum. I'm not sure about their SoftEng program, but I'd like to know.
  • Options
    jaeusmjaeusm Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you going to get into engineering, you want the school to be accredited by ABET.

ABET accreditation is a bit overrated. Both my degrees are ABET accredited, but it has never been an issue. Never has an employer questioned me about accreditation. It's of more importance to university officials than anyone else.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Accreditation is used more by prospective students to judge the quality of the experience at an educational institution rather than as a credential to flash to prospective employers. Employers typically recognize the names of educational institutions rather than the standards that they meet.
  • Options
    I have a little while to decide, but I really need work at narrowing the field now.

jdmurray,

Which one of their programs were you referring to in your post?