Advice for 1st Security Certification

rbrenessrbreness Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, everybody.

I am a CCENT and a CCNA R&S. I want to enhance my career for several reasons (promotion, raise, personal goal, Fulbright application) with a Security certification, but I haven't decided which one to go for yet.

Would it be possible to get some advice from you?

Thanks!

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You don't want to do it for knowledge and to help protect people or information? :P

Security+ is an entry-level certification that a lot of people get.....
    Where do you want to go in your career?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • rbrenessrbreness Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Of course I do want it for knowledge and to protect the information, I guess I talked to myself at the moment I was writting and said: "that sounds redundant".

I've thought about the Sec+, I want to learn about security, but not in the way Cisco's CCNA Security is (vendor cert).

Do I have another option besides Sec+ for an entry-level cert?
  • ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    Security+ is really THE entry level cert. I think lots of people are able to leapfrog it. If it really doesn't seem like your cup of tea, you could look into SSCP or CEH. If you're flush with money for training, check out one of the GIAC certs.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I always recommend starting with the sticky in this forum: Security Certifications Where to Start
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework