Options

Looking to get into Networking

ScyphnScyphn Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,
I am 25 years old and currently serving in the military(Navy). Ive been in for the past 4 years and looking to getting into Networking. I currently don’t hold any certifications and would like to know what I would need to do to start getting certified. I will be deploying soon so any and all knowledge such as what books to read(on said topic) or anything of that such would be greatly appreciated. I know 25 seems late but I don’t plan on quitting the military for another 4 years and during that time I plan on going to school to get my bachelor’s in an IT field major. Im new to this, so once again any and all info would be nice. Thank you all in advance!

Comments

• Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    25 is not late at all, I got back into it after retiring from the Military, I spent 30 years in the Army.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    Alright, so there is hope! Thank you for the encouragement!
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I encourage you to first get your Network+ certification or CCNA.
  • Options
    ccnpninja wrote: »
    I encourage you to first get your Network+ certification or CCNA.

Is it one or the other? Or get both? With that being said roughly how long would it take to obtain said certs?
  • Options
    Network+ would be a good one to study, will give you a great intro into the world of networking. I would probably get your A+ as well, that way you have at least a fundamental understanding of equipment.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forum.

At the very early stage I think you should get a couple books on A+ and Network+. Read them at least once. It might not make sense at first but they will all build on each other and after reading the two books you should have a much better understanding of computers and networks.

After that I would try to come up with more specific plan. Based in part in how well you were able to get through the reading. Some people prefer videos (including myself) for the introduction to topics. However you will certainly have to do a lot of reading to pass any of the advanced certifications.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I didn't actually start a full blown networking job until I was 29, but I become a CCNA at 25. I'm a CCIE now and I'm 32 this year - you have plenty of time ;)
  • Options
    MTciscoguy and Jon_Cisco,
    I see you both are on the same page with starting out and thank you both for your inputs. Can you all recommend books or do you recommend going to amazon.com and searching for the ones with the best reviews? Seeing how Im leaving soon I will certainly have time to read.
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    I didn't actually start a full blown networking job until I was 29, but I become a CCNA at 25. I'm a CCIE now and I'm 32 this year - you have plenty of time ;)

More verification, Im certainly digging it!
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am, hesitant to recommend a specific book. Nothing that I absolutely love enough to say it will work. Honestly since your just starting go cheap and used. I spend like $50 on a book and 2 months later it's used for $25 somewhere. I would recommend something like a kindle if you don't mind reading on them.
  • Options
    I am with Jon on recommending specific books, you can go to the CompTIA website and there is a wealth of information on their various certification programs, and there is a ton of teaching information on the many websites around the internet, you kind of just have to feel things out and find the best way for you, we all learn in a different style and way.
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What's your rate?
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    Thank you all for your advice and encouragement. I really appreciate it and will apply it all. And phille I'm an OS.
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh ok, I was an IT for 5 years. Have you thought about cross rating at all? If you're planning on staying in longer why not move to a rate where you could get experience as well...IT or CTN? Either way, Network+ should be your starting point. Not sure what type of command your attached to but if you've got IT's with you, make some friends. They should be able to answer any questions you might have and they might even have more material for you to study.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    Oh ok, I was an IT for 5 years. Have you thought about cross rating at all? If you're planning on staying in longer why not move to a rate where you could get experience as well...IT or CTN? Either way, Network+ should be your starting point. Not sure what type of command your attached to but if you've got IT's with you, make some friends. They should be able to answer any questions you might have and they might even have more material for you to study.
    I never thought about that. I will consider that route as well.
  • Options
    XenomeowXenomeow Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm 28 and just started in my IT career. I will be starting CCENT/NA after getting my MCSA 2012. It's never to late to start. Best of luck in your studies and stay safe.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does it make anyone else depressed and feel old that someone thinks 25 could be too old or late to start going into a field?
  • Options
    tecnodog7tecnodog7 Member Posts: 129
    I'm 28 and i'm just getting my CCNA now so dude you got years on to accomplish. I am a visual learner so i went with the cbtnugget route with Jeremy and Chirs Bryant CCNA videos. Never too late bro you got this!
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does it make anyone else depressed and feel old that someone thinks 25 could be too old or late to start going into a field?

Sort of, haha. I went through that same thing...I think it's a normal "quarter-life crisis" thing, especially since 25 is fresh out of that college-age demographic.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    castagnolaccastagnolac Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LOL! 28 too old? I'm 41 and just about to take my CCENT. Now I do have many many years working at ISPs (WAN stuff) so networking is not new, but the amount of focus on the LAN side is pretty much the opposite of what I am used to! Lost my job last year and found that if I wanted another job in networking, about 97% of them require certs!