Options

PoE needed for studies

techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
In the market for a 16-24 port gigabit switch that will temporarily be my home switch. In another year or so I plan on studying cisco and will probably put it in my lab at that point. Is there a reason to spend the extra money on PoE? IOS 15.1?

Is the WS-3650G series the most affordable gigabit switch that's lab worthy? With cisco gigabit seem much more expensive then 100mbit.
2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For labs most people are using end of life equipment since speed is not an issue and they are a lot cheaper. For CCNA I think PoE is discussed but I never used it in a lab. I picked up a PoE in case I got into voice or Wireless but I don't really expect to need it.
  • Options
    siggnationsiggnation Member Posts: 182
    techfiend-- Jon is right that you don't need a gigabit switch, but that speed is a bonus. Try to get a L3 switch with 32MB of RAM, so you can get current IOS software. 12.2 and above should work fine. I believe IOS 15.0+ won't be necessary, but can be useful to learn of additional commands.
    Currently Reading:

CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam v. 5.1
    CCIE Routing and Switching 5.0 OCG, Vol. I
    Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    Is there any specific commands for poe other than on/off? Voice interests me and it might be nice to have but I don't mind using wall warts for the phones when I get to that point. Apparently the 3650G can run IOS 15.

I'm running out of ports near to my 4 port router\switch, I have 2 other switches throughout the house and I was thinking of consolidating them but running even more wires isn't in my best interest. Maybe I'll just get another $20 unmanaged switch for now and save some money.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    siggnation wrote: »
    techfiend-- Jon is right that you don't need a gigabit switch, but that speed is a bonus. Try to get a L3 switch with 32MB of RAM, so you can get current IOS software. 12.2 and above should work fine. I believe IOS 15.0+ won't be necessary, but can be useful to learn of additional commands.

You don't really pick the switch the same way as L2 router, in terms of flash and dram :)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    siggnationsiggnation Member Posts: 182
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

icon_thumright.gif
    Currently Reading:

CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam v. 5.1
    CCIE Routing and Switching 5.0 OCG, Vol. I
    Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    OP - decide what devices you'll need to power, there were a couple of different PoE standards. For example a 3550 poe won't power some of the newer devices that need 802.3af.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Thing is I don't if or what I want to power, all the phones have the wall wart option anyways right? I'm ok with wall warts.

What I don't want to do is buy a non-poe switch now, then find out there's many poe settings that come up while studying. Is there a bunch of poe settings?