Options

Individual Development Plan (IDP) experience?

My new employer has recently requested to have each employee create an Individual Development Plan.

Do any of you have to do the same thing, or have been doing the same thing? I am hoping to find some sort of template.

Comments

• Options
    wahrheitwahrheit Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    We don't call it an IDP, however we use a yearly evaluation (in theory it is closer to 6months, although it's supposed to cover a full year).

We use SMART objectives to handle it....basically make your goals:
    Specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time based. It works well for me personally, but some people have issues with it. My only concern is that it's a yearly thing vs monthly (I would prefer a long term goal plan, then shorter term goals that meet that plan).
    WGU - BS in Software Development (9/1/2014 Start)
    Transferred: BVC1,C278,CJC1,IWC1,TBP1,TCP1,TJC1,TJP1
    Completed: BNC1,BVC1,C175,C182,C278,C393,C394,CJC1,EUC1,EUP1,IWC1,ORA1,TBP1,TCP1,TJC1,TJP1
    Left:C164,C169,C170,C172,C173,C176,C178,C179,C188,C189,C191,C192,C193,C195,C196,C199,CLC1,CRV1,EDV1,IWT1,SBT1,TYC1,TYP1
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IDP, PMP, yearly review....all the same thing....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Every employer does this different. Management should be providing you a template or at least some direction on how to proceed.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We have to do it starting from this year ..

Basically, Last years employees complained that there are no clear development plans.

So, This year the employee has to put a plan which should be approved by the manager, including development targets and dates.

For example you agree with your manager that you need more cisco knowledge and that you will attend a CCNP Course and pass the exams by end of November.

If at that date:
    1: You did not attend the course because your boss did not allocate the budget or time he will be held accountable for the failure.
    2: If you skipped half the classes and failed the exams you will be held accountable for the failure.

Yearly (Or basically Bonus) review is different.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wish my manager would go over stuff like this with me. My company doesn't do **** for me as far as my development. Just throws stuff my way and if I don't know how do it, I better learn!

(I've asked if they would help with certs but they won't even do that)