Options

outlook for unix/linux careers?

fcp4lifefcp4life Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have recently taken an intrest in the Unix / Linux area after starting an intro course at my community college and will probably be pursing an advanced unix/linux course. I have heard that it can be very fulfilling career to jobs being scarce to come by, atleast out here in MA, just want to know from people with more experience in the IT field have to say, I'm definitely gonna learn windows and finish up my degree but is linux a good choice to focus in on? Or should I just stick to windows? Or perhaps networking/securit

Comments

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    If you are going to do IT my suggestion is be ready to relocate. Jobs are abundance or scarce depending on where you reside. You can do a search on DICE.COM to see UNIX vs WINDOWs comparison via state. I know you can make money doing either one with certifications and experience.
  • Options
    Networking_StudentNetworking_Student Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck finding a job in the state of washington without Linux experience, or exposure. Every job outside of Microsoft itself here in WA, requires you to have at least some background using Linux. At least on a fundamental level, i.e. daemons, groups, and other Linux Server admin stuffs, and Linux scripting, pretty much anything and everything covered under Linux+/LPIC-1 at the bare minimum, most require education levels of understanding to be at the LPIC-2/RHCSA level.

Also to add, with Microsofts shares dropping significantly in the IT Market, Linux/Apple/Android are taking over the market.

If you gain understanding of Linux, also turn around and look at Apple iOS as well. Android is Linux essentially, so far I can't find anything with Android that doesn't work with Linux and vice-versa on my Linux+ self studies.
    Working on my MCSD: Windows Store Apps
    WGU-Software Development Student