Options

Bootcamp Question

bradl3yCbradl3yC Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does anyone have any experience with a Cisco bootcamp? I saw this one advertised Get DoD 8570.1 Information | Intense School and was considering their 4 cert bootcamp. Is it worth it?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends what your goals are. Do you want to shove enough in your head in a short period of time to pass some exams? Then a bootcamp is for you! If you want to slowly digest and learn all the material at an in depth level than a bootcamp isn't what you are looking for.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Depends what your goals are. Do you want to shove enough in your head in a short period of time to pass some exams? Then a bootcamp is for you! If you want to slowly digest and learn all the material at an in depth level than a bootcamp isn't what you are looking for.

The answer, honestly, is both. I should say, both are appealing. I am wanting to change jobs asap, but that requires certs. I don't want to just have letters after my name though, I wan't to actually KNOW the material.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    My opinion is that for lower level certs, bootcamps are pointless. There is already enough very well developed material out there for the certs and you can learn better at your own pace than following the fast pace of a bootcamp. The exception is if you get to do training like this on your employer's dime.

Now if you are going for something very complex like the CCIE, you will pretty much want to plan on a 5-10 day bootcamp towards the end simply as part of the process. With the CCIE you can easily research the top bootcamp providers and figure out which is for you based on the instructer and reviews. With lower level cert bootcamps, it is often run by some company and you have no idea the quality of the teacher. I would not pay any of my own money for a bootcamp where I don't know who the teacher is going to be ahead of time.
  • Options
    My Employer will keep me on the clock while I am there, but the cost of the camp will be out of pocket for me.
  • Options
    Does anyone have experience with Intense School or InfoSec Institute? Seems like I've read a lot of reviews that were either one extreme or the other. I trust these forums to be more accurate than the stuff I have found thus far. Any input?