What to do when you're not sure..what to do?

bhankins000bhankins000 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Need some advice friends. I've been in IT for about 4 years and working mostly help desk or similar roles. Im in my second year or college planning on continuing for a BA in info. sys. I had net+ and sec+ but both are expired. I knew sec+ really well and taught it in the army so i thought cissp was the next step but i feel its more management stuff i dont have the technical experience for. (security jobs i have interviewed for dont care when i say im studying for cissp, they ask me techincal experience i cant answer) I picked up some mcsa videos and built a home server lab but that just seemed to bore me and i dont have any experience with servers. I thought about learning maybe networking with ccnet/ccna but just not sure if id like writing command lines all day?

I honestly dont know what i like in IT, or more which area? I dont want to do help desk (or my similar role is just requesting and tracking accounts -which the crazy part it pays $30/hr and "considered" IT Security).

So what do you like about the area of IT did you choose? What certs did or will you get? Any additional advice for me? Thanks!

Comments

• IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well maybe you need to look at another career. If MCSA bores you and unsure about Cisco cli I doubt you will like Linux. Also to take the CISSP you need job experience or a sponsor. Im not sure if you been advise that but im putting it out there.