Options

Looking into the field and need direction.

Venard21Venard21 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello!

There is so much information in this forum that the small amount of information I did have on Networking careers seems a tad daunting. What I'm hoping to get from this post is a sense of direction on where to go with my career path in this field. So to give you a better idea, I'll give you a short background.

I am 26 and a couple years ago finally found the motivation I lacked to get my degree when I had left High School. I got married and finished my Associates in General Science last spring. I had the plan to go finish my Bachelor's in Nursing because I had no sources of info for jobs in Networking. That plan went up in smoke when we had to suddenly relocate from East TN to Philly for my wife's new job (Cerner Systems Analyst). Unfortunately with the cost of living, yadda yadda, I am looking at other options. I talked with a friend and he mentioned getting a CCNA. Follow that up with MCSE & CCNP and I'd have a good start to a career in the Networking field. I'm considerably book smart, retain information, and learn new things quickly. I looked up some cert courses locally for the CCNA and they are far too expensive for me to do. Therefore, I have decided to buy a CCNA textbook covering both the ICND1, ICND2, and the CCNA Composite Exam. I know it will be hard, but I'm confident I can learn it outside of the classroom.

Here is where my concern comes in. I have no IT experience in the job field. All my experience comes from building my own computer and managing my own personal network and router. From the posts that I have read on this forum I see that getting my CCNA will pretty much do nothing other than give me another fancy paper to hang on my wall next to my Associate's Degree since I have no relative work experience or degree.

My questions are:
1. What job could I get now to get my foot in the IT door and get that experience to go with getting the CCNA?
2. Without getting a Bachelor's Degree do I even stand a chance of having a career?
Side question: What is a practical way to interact with what I am reading in the CCNA textbook (should that be the route I take) so that it isn't just information without application potential?

Keep in mind that going back for my Bachelor's is not an option for this year at least. More importantly, so it seems, I need to get into the IT field and get my experience. I don't know what to look for, so please be as specific as you can.

On a side note, it's almost 1AM and I have been spinning this around in my head for the better part of the week. I apologize for any grammatical mistakes.

Thanks in advance to all who take the time out of their days to read this and help.

-Venard21

Comments

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Venard21 wrote: »
    Hello!
    My questions are:
    1. What job could I get now to get my foot in the IT door and get that experience to go with getting the CCNA?
    2. Without getting a Bachelor's Degree do I even stand a chance of having a career?
    Side question: What is a practical way to interact with what I am reading in the CCNA textbook (should that be the route I take) so that it isn't just information without application potential?

-Venard21

1. Help Desk. All IT guys usually have to get into Help Desk before jumping into their field of choice.
    2. Not an issue. BS in the future will help.

My suggestion is to take the A+ certification. You can get free lectures from Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training.
    Afterwards, watch his lectures on Network+. Up to you whether you want to take this test. An A+ and N+ will give you a nice certification foundation.
    There should be some CCNA simulator you can purchase to use.
  • Options
    overthetopoverthetop Banned Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1. NOC Tech. Honestly its very rare if ever you'll find a Help Desk job looking for just CCNA (ONLY)unless its similar to a NOC type of position.
    2. 4 year degrees are overrrrated. I know people that I could throw a rock and hit them in the nose with it in my office making close to and over 6 figures with no 4 year degree. You think they are going back to school to get one? ....... I personally think for contracting (govt) its about certs/experience/WhoLikesYou. For the outside world maybe education plays a bigger role
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would not say give up on a bachelor's but you can find work now. A CCNA is good cert but then you realize everyone has a CCNA. Eventually you may have to go up to a CCNP, which will take you about a year. But it all depends on your location. But you could possibly find work as a NOC or entry level Network Tech and by chance probably a network engineer.

MCSA opens a lot of doors for higher tier help desk roles or system admin. You could study both CCNA and MCSA to increase your chances. But realistically nothing with happen over night and I see you already have A+ knowledge but do you have experience?

Oh yeah forgot, good easy affordable CCNA video material. Look up Chris Bryant his material is located on Udemy and Amazon. Sometimes he run specials on his materials and you can combine that with a Udemy discount. If you decide to buy any CCNA books or videos make sure they was written by a CCIE.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Look for NOC type jobs, or maybe even a Jr. Network Admin type of role. The latter may be harder to find and will have more competition from HD guys looking to break into Networking. If you have any issues finding many of those types of roles, I would recommend looking for Help Desk/Desktop type of jobs as they will get your feet wet in IT. You do have an Associates degree, which is better than nothing at all.

Definitely go back at some point to get your BS in some type of IT path. While sure, some people can make good money without one, it could hinder you in future roles and promotions especially if they have a requirement to have a BS, or you are going against others for similar roles and are so close with everything else that they may choose the person with the BS over an AA degree in an unrelated field.
  • Options
    First off, I would like to say, "Thank You!" to everyone who has posted thus far. You have been amazing and I will be spending what time I can looking into every part of your suggestions.

Originally posted by anhtran35
    My suggestion is to take the A+ certification. You can get free lectures from Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training.
    Afterwards, watch his lectures on Network+. Up to you whether you want to take this test. An A+ and N+ will give you a nice certification foundation.
    There should be some CCNA simulator you can purchase to use.

I tried a programming 101 class out of high school and it wasn't the most successful. That was many years and a different me ago. Is A+ really something I could expect to teach myself?

I will definitely keep the door open to finishing my bachelor's in some IT path. Most important to me now is getting my foot in the door so that I can get the experience I'll need when I have acquired the certs and companies look for it.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help! I have been looking at Level 1 Help Desk and Desktop support roles. Almost all of them want 3 years experience and Associates? NOC jobs that I have found seem to be what I would look for after I have my CCNA and maybe A+ & N+ too, based on the description of duties.
  • Options
    If you built your own computer or play around with the hardware then you already on a A+ level. A+, Network+ and Security+ are all book multiple choice test. You read a book and watch FREE lectures( Messer ) and take the test. I usually give myself a 3 month timeline before I take the test. 1st month is read a chapter a day. I'm a very slow learner. Most of the books are about 15 chapters. So within 15 days you finish the book. You can look for study notes online and print it out or create your own. Messer sells his PDF study guides for $10. So 1st month is read and review book and use study notes. 2nd month is to watch the video lectures and review study notes. 3rd month is to fill is to review study notes and take some practice tests. End of the 3rd month take the test.
  • Options
  • Options
    dewey haftadewey hafta Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Vernard21 - Help Desk may be your best option and form there you can get a better feel for what the different departments do. With that, others here have already listed some valuable resources. Professor Messer helped me with 3 or my certs (N+, S+, and the 70-680). 3 months is a reasonable time for each of the CompTIA exams. The 70-680 will probably take some more time (for me it was 9 months and finally passed on my third attempt).

To give you some perspective, the help desk role I am in now asked for a BS, an A+, and 2+ years of exp. When I was hired I didn't have any of that (only 6 months, an AAS, and N+, S+). Sometimes the postings can be misleading and are most often a "wish list" from the potential employer. If you think you can operate at the level that is expected of the position, then apply.

You have to learn to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run, and I would caution running right into the CCNA without any prior knowledge/experience. I sat for the exam yesterday and missed the mark by 4 points. I had also been studying since last July. My job now allows me to study extensively at night for several hours which has helped. It is doable, just be prepared to go cross-eyed a few times. Get some hardware and get cracking on the books.