Options

Returning to IT field advice needed.

KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'll try to keep this as brief as possible but a little backstory I think is needed to fully explain my situation. I got an A.S. in networking and computer programming from a technical college back in 2000. In 2001 I got a job at an ISP and did help desk 2 for the next 5 and a half years. I got really disillusioned with help desk so in 2007 I transferred to the sales department in my company and worked as a sales rep for 3 and a half years and then got promoted to sales lead for another 3 and a half years after that. In June of 2014 my department got axed and I and about 60 other people company wide got laid off.

One of my coworkers who got laid off with me told me about this government grant that would pay for you to go back to school and refresh your skills. It turns out it was with New Horizons. I met with a counselor there who went over the program with me. It was basically courses that were a week long that were preparation for different certifications.

The certifications that were offered on the track I chose were the MTA 98-349, 98-365, 98-366, 98-367, the A+, the Network+ and the Security+.

My question is, not having worked in the IT field since 2007, what kind of position should I shoot for? I've taken and passed all 4 of the MTAs and the A+ and I plan on taking the Network + next month. Hypothetically speaking, if I had all 7 of these certs (the 4 MTAs and the A+/N+/Sec+) plus my A.S. degree plus the 5+ years of experience I had at the help desk, what kind of positions do you think I should shoot for now that I am switching back from sales to IT?

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Those are all entry certs and an associates is almost the equivalent. Being that it's been a while and your previous experience was help desk related I'd say you can get another help desk job or a job with a NOC if you want to go the networking route. Essentially you'll have to completely start over.

If your technical skills are up to par though you can move up quicker than others can just starting out with your previous experience.

After you are done with the certs they paid for choose a path beyond help desk and start studying for those midlevel certs like CCNA for networking or MCSA for MS systems. Hopefully you can get your hands on some servers or networking equipment in the mean time.
  • Options
    I was hoping you wouldn't say that heh. Well my thinking was that since I was able to land a help desk job before with my just A.S. and no experience, the 5 years plus the 7 certs would help to push me a little farther past just another help desk job. But as you pointed out, I do realize that all the certs are entry level, I just thought that maybe combined with everything else it could help put me a little farther ahead of where I left off. How hard is it to score a NOC job? I've known people who have worked those types of positions before, is it a good stepping stone for someone like me? Thanks for the reply, btw. Just trying to get some insight from people that are farther along in the game than I am.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Be creative.

Look for an IT job that supports a line of business or a sales team. I think you are in fairly good shape to be honest.

You have PLENTY of certifications and your AA in programming and networking is a GOOD thing not a bad.

Not to mention you have over 5 years of IT experience and over 6 years of sales 3+ of which were as a lead position.

I think you can start to look for leadership positions, maybe a help desk coordinator or supervisor or (skipping answering calls all day long) or maybe (like I mentioned earlier) going for a IT support position for a sales team. They do exist I see them out there.

You'll understand the top line type function of the sales position and offer support from an IT capacity. Then possibly transition into a solutions director position (or something like this) and help with strategy and architecture from an IT solutions level supporting a sales team.

Sorry just my crazy mind trying to put a plan together for you.
  • Options
    Thanks, I was hoping that what experience I have based on my A.S. and my certs (however entry level they are) would help me to at least move past another help desk role. Thanks for your time and input.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    You just need to get your foot back in the door and it will be fine.
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    I don't want to be a downer but I once made the switch from sales back to a technical position and it was hard to convince hiring managers that is what I wanted to do. I ended up with a Telecom position that I got through networking. Make sure you design your resume to indicate your desire to be in a technical roll. Tell your story to head hunters they can help explain the switch. Do not assume people can read behind the lines of your resume.

Best of luck
  • Options
    Thanks, I actually had a similar problem when I first switched to sales. Having no sales background and my resume all tech-oriented. I felt like I was pigeonholed into IT and the stereotype that IT people can't be good salespeople. I really had to fight to get them to accept that I had the ability and the drive to succeed in sales. Hopefully, since I have done IT work in the past it won't be quite so difficult this time. Thanks for your reply.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    You already have HELP DESK experience. You should apply for Network or Systems Administration positions. You can tailor your resume that you assisted in configuring whatever IT products you sold. You will need a higher level cert that interest you. Networking? CCNA and above. Systems? Linux or Windows = Red Hat or MCSA.