Options

Promoted to Operations/Security Lead

broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys. I have been in the operations/security lead role for a few months now, but I just recently receive the salary adjustment. It is 11% more than what I was making before. In addition to this role, I have my current responsibilities on my project where I am the ISSO responsible for implementing RMF on our control systems. I am also assisting our sister project in Colorado; they are required to implement it as well.

I've been with the same company since my internship in 2011 and started fulltime in 2012. They paid for my masters, certifications, and as of last year I have a $10k annual budget for training. My salary has also increased by $20k since I started in 2012. There have been some challenges and I've had to deal with adversity, but all in all they have treated me really well and I don't see myself leaving anytime soon.

I guess my advice to people starting is to really develop your people skills and understand the political climate that you're in. You're going to have to play that game and the sooner you realize that the better.

Comments

• Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Wow nice job, I am transitioning into a security role on Monday. Just curious, how did you get CISSP already if you just started full time in 2012? I am assuming your internship meant you were fresh out of college. My understanding you need 5 years experience, 4 if you have bachelors.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was working while I was in school as a network engineer and had some stints at Lockheed and Booz Allen before I started with my current company in my senior year. I was a coop my senior year so I worked throughout. I would say that I had 2 years of full time experience prior to starting in 2012. Passed the CISSP January 2013 and didn't obtain the full designation until 2014.
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Ahhh I see, I was wondering if I was missing something. Thanks
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005