Options

Help me focus my career direction......

studyforcertsstudyforcerts Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi. I am a noob thats looking to start an IT career. I knocked out A+ and Net+. I am focusing now on additional certs and getting back into college. I am like a blank tablet now, I am able to aim my efforts into any IT specialty now with a very particular end goal.

My dream job is focused around one key aspect, ability to work from home!! Ya, I know it might be years and years before I ever get in the fortunate enough position to work from home. My question is, what specialty in IT is it most common for employees to work from home?

I

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would not suggest taking a job you hate for the ability to work from home. In order to make real choices you at least have to have a direction you are interested in. From there you can figure out how to do that type of work from home.
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think support.com was doing a lot of hires for home support agents. If Im not mistaken they usually post on craiglist.
  • Options
    studyforcertsstudyforcerts Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Jon_Cisco
    Ya I hear you. Thanks@

IIIMaster
    Thanks, I will look into it!
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Unfortunately most of the at home IT jobs are either System Administration( Servers or Visualization ) and Programming jobs. These jobs allow users to VPN in at home and work. Networking jobs require you to be on site and do some racking and swapping of HDs etc...there are not alot of jobs that allow at home.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Field roles such as field engineers, sales engineers, solutions engineers/architects, etc. tend to be work from home roles. Honestly i cant imagine going back to a role where i am not based out of my home office. I love that i can roll out of bed tomorrow and start my day without having to get dressed since i will be home all day. icon_cheers.gif