Options

a

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
edited January 2019 in IT Jobs / Degrees
a

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They waived my A+ with classes from my AS IT degree.

Good luck! Project+ bored the heck out of me. So bad I actually failed the first time.
  • Options
    cloudyknightcloudyknight Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What program are you doing? I'm enrolling in the software development program. If my previous college would stay open long enough to send my transcript, I can get started in April. I'm going ahead and digging into Java since it looks to be the most comprehensive. This way I'll have a foundation when I get back to it later in the program.

If you're fluent in windows and versed IT troubleshooting, A+ is just a matter of memorizing the socket types, and I/O protocols. Professer Messer covers those well.
  • Options
    ElegyxElegyx Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wish you the best of luck xmalachi. They're reviewing my transcripts now so hopefully I get a lot transferred over. I'm also going to be doing the BS in IT: Security track as well. Hopefully I'll start April 1st.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    xmalachi wrote: »
    My official start date is Sunday and I am almost half way through the Project+ material. I'm really not digging the material, I'm having a hard time motivating myself to read through it. I do know that I have to knock this out quickly or it is going to stunt my progress on other classes in the program. I'm hoping to get some serious study time in today and on Sunday.

I'm about half-way through reading the Project+ book, and I'm finding pretty dry as well. I try to force myself through a MINIMUM pace, hopefully finishing everything ~3 weeks; this is my plan: read 2 chapters every 2-3 days, take a week to do detailed notes for the whole book and study/review them in a few days. I find that when taking notes, I try to do it as if I was explaining it to a friend in bullet-point type thing, that's been helping a bit. My initial plan was to try to rush through it, but I would get bored when I tried to do too much at a time. The material is very easy though, you basically have to memorize, because understanding the structure is pretty easy.

I think this is a great certificate to learn to learn lol, the information is easy, but boring. I'm glad this is my first cert, as it is slowly giving me some discipline for my studying without throwing me to the wolves by trying to do a difficult cert
  • Options
    2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey i passed project + in the end of feb. i didnt use the study material from WGU. i downloaded a vocab PDF from CompTIA and studied it.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Project+ bored me to death as well. One of my least favorite classes of the entire BS degree.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Here ya go

I too am studying for Project+. I hit a wall for the past week or so and didn't get anything done at all icon_sad.gif I've started progressing again, hopefully I'll be ready to take the exam on thursday
  • Options
    ElegyxElegyx Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats xmalachi on going back to school and getting your degree from WGU. I'm set to start the Security degree on April 1st so I'll let you know how the first week or so goes. I was able to transfer 64 credits from previous coursework so that helps A LOT.
  • Options
    i only studied that document and took the exam.
  • Options
    Yea a lot of it is common sense. If you've been part of something that looks like a project even once, you could probably pass this very quickly.

I'm trying to study this as if it were going to be a difficult exam so that I make sure I learn it well. I feel like the knowledge from this cert is useful for many people, even though it is a bit basic. It also helps make you understand why certain seemingly useless and annoying procedures exist
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've put off the Project+ because of sheer boredom of the material. Can't put it off much longer though, lol.
  • Options
    why dont you take it with proctoru for 50 bucks and if you pass, you can get credit for it, per my mentor
  • Options
    Thanks :) Passed with 94%! I was surprised with questions like what is the difference between the risk register and the risk matrix. I also realized there was a few things missing in the book like details about the Monte Carlo analysis. One thing you should focus on during your review is knowing WHEN to use certain techniques or analyses
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Very nice progress. I'm starting my BSIT next week, but I doubt I can match your pace!

I'm working on C182 now. I should be ready to take the assessment after the 1st.
  • Options
    I may just go with ProctorU and set up an exam for the weekend and get it knocked out (with any luck! lol)
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the Project+!

I didn't take the A+ cert through WGU. In general, I thought the LabSim practice exams for everything have been pretty weak. On the N+, all I used was the book they gave me through WGU and then used Prof Messer's videos (which I know he has A+ videos). Both follow along with the objectives. I'd probably start there if I had to do the A+.
  • Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great progress so far! Keep up the pace, you should be able to keep this up through the A+, follow the provided practice exams if you can't follow the material maybe try a trial with CBT Nuggets, I used them for some of my certifications at WGU
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    Well I caved in and booked the ProctorU Project+ test for last night. Scraped through with a pass, but at least it's out of the way. Was quite a decent experience with ProctorU also! Hopefully they'll branch out to cover more certifications, there's nothing like using your 27inch hi-res monitor compared with the 12inch monochrome CGA monitors some of these test centers usually stick you with.
  • Options
    BowlJarBowlJar Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of just forking out for ProctorU for my Project+. I live an hour away from any testing centers and have to take a half day at work to take a test. I wish WGU would use them...
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I saw that you can use them, however, as per the proctoru site, "CompTIA testing with ProctorU has ended at this time. Please contact CompTIA with any further questions"
  • Options
    BowlJarBowlJar Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I suppose that answers that.
  • Options
    successrealmsuccessrealm Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great job! I've always had pretty good experiences at my testing center. No 27" monitor but usually a 22ish and a nice chair/quiet facility. As far as my progress goes, I'm considering booking both A+ exams very soon. I've made it through 7 chapters of the ExamCram and I've yet to hit a real snag in the post chapter practice tests. Do you guys feel that the end of book practice exams are a solid measure of readiness? I'm nervous that I'm underestimating the A+...

I also had to take my A+ through WGU. Haven't read all of this thread, but I didn't even go the route of "learning" it through WGU's study material. I used Exam Cram as well, but Darril Gibson's book was really good preparation for the A+ (and Sec+ too, btw).

I scheduled the 801 and 802 on the same day, and passed easily. Keep doing the Exam Cram, maybe get Gibson's book, and try some Quizlet's for it.
  • Options
    TR4V1STYTR4V1STY Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice. I passed the 802 exam yesterday, I am sitting the 801 next Thursday. I am glad I didn't schedule them for the same day as I was tired yesterday and had issues focusing through the 802. Two tests would have been brutal.

Still looking for some feedback on C169 if anyone has advice.

I'm in the same boat as you xmalachi, not confident with programming. Those two scripting and programming classes c173 and c169 are a bit intimidating.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Thanks for the advice. I passed the 802 exam yesterday, I am sitting the 801 next Thursday. I am glad I didn't schedule them for the same day as I was tired yesterday and had issues focusing through the 802. Two tests would have been brutal.

Still looking for some feedback on C169 if anyone has advice.

That's the second A+ exam, correct? I found that one to be the most difficult out of the trifecta of CompTIA certs.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Yikes, now you got me worried as I have to take Java for my first term in September. I would love to hear any recommendations from people who have completed C169.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    cloudyknightcloudyknight Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bpenn wrote: »
    Yikes, now you got me worried as I have to take Java for my first term in September. I would love to hear any recommendations from people who have completed C169.

C169 is not a read through and take the exam type of class. Try approaching it like learning a musical instrument. Fire up eclipse, type out the exercises, and see what else you can make it do. Get one part of code working and keep building on it. Then try to do it in less lines of code. Think of other ways to do the same thing. Repeat.

Yes, I was cursing at some of the video quizzes but I got through the class itself just fine. Once you have the skills to get through the project, go over the vocabulary again and, the exam will be no problem.