Options

I need [Help] getting study materials in place. Thx!

itangelitangel Member Posts: 111
Hey guys I am about ready to start a hardcore CCNA/CCENT study session trying to get all my gear and book in place. I just need to do what I need beside what I already have to start this process. Here is what I have so far.

Hardware:
3x Cisco Catalyst 48-port 2950 Series Switch with Multi-mode fiber.
1x Cisco Pix firewall
1x Cisco Catalyst Switch - "I need to verified model once I get home from work"

Computer:
Custom Build on Intel-3930k 6-core, SSD etc...
Dell Optiplex 745 & 380 with Linux - "I have different versions not sure which is best for a Hybrid build"
10 Port USB Hub 3.0
4x Ethernet to USB 3.0
4x Cisco Serial Cable with Serial to USB 2.0

Softwares:
GNS 3
Cisco Packet Tracer

Books:
Old Cisco Press CCNA Flash Cards
Old Cisco Routing and Switching Portable Command Guide Book
Old CCNA/CCENT combo books - "I forgot what revision so not sure if I should try to get the lastest books or not.

Videos:
Very old CBT Nuggets
Access to CCNA 2015 200-120 Video Boot Camp With Chris Bryant

Other than that I have listed I am not sure what else I need or get. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks In Advance!

Network Administrator
:

Looking forward in 2017: CCENT

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not sure how much you want to be using old materials (books and videoes) to study since they just updated the test less than 2 years ago. I'd guess most of the material is still relevant but you would probably being studying things that aren't on the test and missing things that are... Should be fine with everything else.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I recommend getting rid of the old books. Buying one or two current books is probably the cheapest part of the whole setup and is where your most detailed information usually comes from. Other then that you are good to go. I like to point out that if you start searching the internet their is an almost unlimited amount of resources for CCNA. Don't get distracted looking for the perfect one. Just get started.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    I recommend getting rid of the old books. Buying one or two current books is probably the cheapest part of the whole setup and is where your most detailed information usually comes from. Other then that you are good to go. I like to point out that if you start searching the internet their is an almost unlimited amount of resources for CCNA. Don't get distracted looking for the perfect one. Just get started.

Good Luck!

Thanks guys well I am not sure which route I want to take that would be easier and less stuff to worried about. I sometimes find myself trying to use to many tools to achieve my goal and that can someone make it hard. So, this time I am trying to find the simple easiest and best solution to get started than to have everything. The following I have consider doing;

1. Going full Virtual Lab online by renting or buying a an online course like Cisco Leaning center etc... Since then I can do my lab and studies anywhere even from work.
    or
    2. Buy the latest software that can cover the materials like Boson Sim, or packet tracer with some lab books.
    or
    3. Or just using GNS3/Hybrid Lab with a book/lab book and some videos.

Network Administrator
    :

• Options
    I'm not sure how much you want to be using old materials (books and videoes) to study since they just updated the test less than 2 years ago. I'd guess most of the material is still relevant but you would probably being studying things that aren't on the test and missing things that are... Should be fine with everything else.

That is exactly what I am trying to avoid learning stuff that is not part of the exam. I know this system admin from work that took his CCNA a long time ago but his issue was that he was in a different version of the Cisco software than the exam. So he ran into some issues because not all the commands worked plus he learn stuff not part of the exam and the exam asked him stuff that he didn't know at the time. So he recommended me to make sure I study what is exactly on the exam by using the exact version that I would be tested on.

Network Administrator
    :

• Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For books, I'd recommend Sybex CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide by Todd Lammle

For labs, if you have access to packet tracer you might as well start with that and see how far you get with your studies. If you feel packet tracer isn't good enough then you might want to look into GNS3 and physical hardware.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Priston wrote: »
    For books, I'd recommend Sybex CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide by Todd Lammle

For labs, if you have access to packet tracer you might as well start with that and see how far you get with your studies. If you feel packet tracer isn't good enough then you might want to look into GNS3 and physical hardware.

Thanks! Does the book bring labs to work with or should I grab a lab book along with it?

Should I grab something like this here from him;

http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Routing-Switching-Certification-Kit/dp/111878958X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424812487&sr=1-1&keywords=CCNA+Routing+and+Switching+Certification+Kit

If not what is the best CCNA sim software that I can use? I am trying to find something that covers just about everything from the exam that I can have on my laptop to take with me everywhere. Thanks!

Network Administrator
    :